NO ****ING ZOO, ****!!

Talk all you want about Island Defense here.
ShadowZz
Poison Treant

Re: NO ****ING ZOO, ****!!

Postby ShadowZz » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:06 pm

If you want to talk about this in a realistic way it should probably be noted that not all predators kill everything they see. A good example would be sharks who allow small fish to follow them under their belly and simply collect scraps. He would let them live because it's a waste of time killing them lol. "Look meaty builders! No, kill the crabs!".

Lynx
Donator

Postby Lynx » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:45 pm

While we are on the topic of critters, I'd like to know why are they immune to magic?

ShadowZz
Poison Treant

Postby ShadowZz » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:03 pm

They are not magic immune. They are magic resistant. One reason would be because nuking was fixed to be quicker so targets don't simply run out of range after a nuke cast it made it almost impossible to nuke bounce an alba unless you were macroing. Other reasons like rad just running around and insta killing critters near him is on the list of reasons.

FollowingPath
Forest Walker

Postby FollowingPath » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:50 pm

Albatross nukes were a skill gap and by no means "almost impossible."

Lynx
Donator

Postby Lynx » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:56 pm

Why is rad insta killing critters a problem?

Albatross nuke is certainly possible without the resistance and without macros.

ShadowZz
Poison Treant

Postby ShadowZz » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:18 pm

@FollowingPath Yes, before they were changed from almost instant cast which gave you time to cast more with skill to instant cast meaning the alba literally died before a second cast was possible. Old nuke and current nuke gives time for multiple casts. The nuke at the time gave no time for multiple casts. Literally the only difference now is that nukes no longer have the delay they used to but that affected other things such as alba nuking. The alba edit is to fix the fact that alba nuking was actually impossible due to that change. Hope that made more sense. Doesn't really have an impact on the game except you no longer cast nuke and the unit just walks out of range/vision. It's still possible to vision break a nuke but it has to be a lot closer.

After the nuke change I'm pretty sure the critter change was the following version due to alba nuking not being possible anymore.

Sypherious eye's critters. Builders counter that by checking if a critter is eyed and then denying that critter via killing it. Rad just rolls around unaware that he is killing eyed critters. It just makes it so he has to actively kill the critter instead of mindlessly walking past unaware of what he's doing. Simply put it increases the skill cap in a small way rather than mindlessly countering stuff. It's really not this big of a deal lol :D

I agree alba nuke is possible without the magic resistance but with the old nuke, read above for reference.

dlNO
Forest Walker

Postby dlNO » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:52 pm

I don't think a being as evil as the titan would simply let you live because you are a, "neutral". -dlNO
If you want to talk about this in a realistic way it should probably be noted that not all predators kill everything they see -ShadowZz
As clearly stated, I referred to the Titan's state of mind, not the state of his tummy. The Titan kills to kill, not to eat.
Though you are correct in saying, some actions cost more than they benefit, but I am not referring to a creature as logical as humans, but the Titan. The Titan, I thought, was somewhat like a manifestation of evil, awakening from its slumber but to bring and end to the "Graceful Period". In the game Island Defense, the Titan's objective is to destroy, not to survive. If it were the contrary, it would be like Island Troll Tribes, in which, the Titan would slowly and innately be losing HP if he didn't eat any units.
The underlying reason why the Titan hates the peace of the Graceful Period isn't anything concrete. Though I thought it would be posing similitaries with the Greek War God, Ares. "In Greek literature, he often represents the physical or violent and untamed aspect of war, in contrast to his sister the armored Athena, whose functions as a goddess of intelligence include military strategy and generalship" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ares
To summarize, I thought Island Defense was a game that wanted to push these sort of ethics of evil and good. But if it truly is a game such as Island TrolL Tribes, a game of survival, then in the end you are the editors.
"If you're holding onto a light source, you'll be an easy target in the dark."

GunTroll
Resource Storage

Postby GunTroll » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:31 pm

i find it hard to believe that someone really spent the time on fixing alba nuking, but then again hp tomes/items still drop from nuked workers ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ShadowZz
Poison Treant

Postby ShadowZz » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:48 am

@dlNO Personally, my opinion is the roles of the builders is to slay the titan and the titans is to slay the builders. Questioning who the real "Evil" is. If you invade someones home with the intent of stealing their things and killing them, then who is good and who is simply responding to your actions?

dlNO
Forest Walker

Postby dlNO » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:12 am

"The underlying reason why the Titan hates the peace of the Graceful Period isn't anything concrete." -dlNO
"But if it truly is a game such as Island TrolL Tribes, a game of survival, then in the end you are the editors." -dlNO
as I said, this is but conjecture, you are welcome to believe and edit as you please. these are my suggestions.
"If you're holding onto a light source, you'll be an easy target in the dark."

BeeKauzh
Forest Walker

Postby BeeKauzh » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:33 am

And here I thought the builders were the one who brought the graceful period to an end by invading the titan's home.
It's literally terrorists invading your country and you fighting back.

Return to “Island Defense”