What's happening?

Talk all you want about Island Defense here.
Haunt
Oversight Staff

Re: What's happening?

Postby Haunt » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:01 pm

What are you guys talking about? I just played ID last night. Freaking plebs, spreading rumors...

Burn
Protector of Nature

Postby Burn » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:23 pm

True, ID is doing fine, and it will always be doing fine if there is a bot that hosts it. Our first mistake was Lynx has a point though, this sub-forum has been the deadest it's ever been, with only 3 active topics in the whole month. Based on this statistic, I believe there have been no full house inhouses in the last few months.

This means that the amount of veteran players are dropping. So, what's the problem? Is it Neco? Maybe? Maybe not. I've already talked plenty about how Neco's nerfs have been killing ID and making ID less fun, but I have another theory.

I currently believe that the Euros leaving is what killed inhouses. They were the most tryhard which actually made for the best inhouses. The majority all moved onto DotA2. When asked to come back to play inhouses, they complained about the hotkey change. So, one theory is that the hotkey change is what ultimately killed Euro Island Defense inhouses, which can be attributed to the timing. You can't really blame Neco for this, since the Euros left BEFORE the hotkey change.

Neco still has a fault in this though, when 99% of players in the sub-forum complained about the hotkey change, Neco still didn't revert the change. There's a reason why WC3DotA hasn't changed their hotkeys yet. They don't want to risk losing players (although icefrog doesn't care about DotA2 as much any more).

Furthermore, I don't believe in the "all games die" concept. Just look at any of the popular games. Some games never die if the idea is legit. Island Defense had a legit concept. Sure, it can be improved and inch ever so close to perfection, but with every nerf to "balance" things means the game is less fun.

In the old days, my post would be considered "necro". But these days, this is the third most active topic in the entire sub-forum.

-Burn

FollowingPath
Forest Walker

Postby FollowingPath » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:33 pm

This must've been Neco's plan all along!

Remixer
Forest Walker

Postby Remixer » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:33 am

I keep an eye on these Forums every now and then (pretty much on daily basis), and I am sad to see people do not talk about things here. Discussion should always be welcome but I think there is a clear reason for this. Neco is rarely active here, if active at all, and does not really discuss things very openly. When I joined these forums and suggested changes and planned ideas people did discuss and comment and create boards. So people are reading these forums, they just see no point writing any comments or starting any topics because they have proven themselves useless - no action is taken.

In my opinion, the game is in terrible balance nowadays and there are some factors that fight against it - you cannot make Island Defense balanced for both competitive play and public newbie play at the same time. As much as I would like to see competitive Island Defense I don't see how it could survive without new players.

In my eyes Neco is struggling already to keep one map up to date (when was the last update)? Not to mention to have update two similar yet different maps.

Airsteelcity
Resource Storage

Postby Airsteelcity » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:40 am

Neco is busy with life. I feel the same way @remixer. The community would be a lot less toxic and boring if we had a person able to update this map more often with new things like builders and bases.

1337hamburger
Treant

Postby 1337hamburger » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:02 pm

It's almost like warcraft 3 is old af and there are newer games that fill a similar niche.

Lynx
Donator

Postby Lynx » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:39 pm

Wc3 is timeless, ID would live if the game was properly edited.
These users thanked the author Lynx for the post:
Burn (Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:50 am)

Return to “Island Defense”