Island Defense Standalone

Talk all you want about Island Defense here.
ShadowZz
Poison Treant

Re: Island Defense Standalone

Postby ShadowZz » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:37 am

@Nenja Already plan to do that. At the moment I'm spending as much time on the game mechanics as possible, after all the game mechanics will rule how well the game is played :)

SpiritBreaker
Forest Walker

Postby SpiritBreaker » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:01 pm

@ShadowZz Are you adding position jumps?

Which in my mind covers:
- Windwalk jumps (which branches into item/unit jumps).
- Building jumps (where your worker can end up traveling quite a distant in some cases, making a single enemy titan/minion incapable of chasing).
- Ankh jumps.
- Worker block (where regular Shelter spawn location is blocked and so workers can end up spawning at quite a distant).
- Worker stacking.

Sometimes these things can be frustrating for both sides (TItan/Defender), but most of them can be countered, which is the only reason why I would support them being implemented.

(I mean, you counter TItan's jumps by blocking with buildings, and you counter stuff like worker blocks by anticipating it and feeding off the spawned workers. The only counter to building jumps is to have minis and spread them out to cover the correct routes.)
SpiritFryer@USEast
My Twitch stream

narbtit
Forest Walker

Postby narbtit » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:02 pm

Oh spirit, if only you were here earlier you would see shadowz opinion on that o.o

ShadowZz
Poison Treant

Postby ShadowZz » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:02 pm

I actually will be implementing things like ankh jumping and item jumping. Just not as you know them now. I'm not 100% sure how to as of right now and between the team we've discussed a thousand options. I don't agree with it being added as a game mechanic abuse system like how it works now. However I wouldn't mind adding a ability to every Titan for example which drops a item that lasts for 1 second which they can use to push over etc. More transparency is what I'm trying to say if that makes sense. FYI that's not what I would use :D We've talked about items like an effective "push-stick" to give the same effect. If anyone has any thoughts on replacements feel free to tell me them :D

Worker stacking will probably not make the cut due to bases being designed to force certain builders there due to wooding space. Or the fact that most if not all bases have nukable worker lines but worker stacking in top right or bottom right can boycott that balance for example :P I hope that all makes sense.

Side note: Anything along these lines that is added like building jumps will be included in a tutorial on the Standalone. In my opinion if it doesn't break balance too much I don't want to remove it. But I do think that it needs to be common knowledge to level the playing field thus causing more balanced games. Everything will be ranked anyway so it shouldn't make a huge difference but it should help to prevent crappy or boring games at the lower end of the scale.

Stealer
Protector of Nature

Postby Stealer » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:22 pm

I wouldn't mind collision based bugs gone but allow short range building jumps (so you can bounce for towering).

ShadowZz
Poison Treant

Postby ShadowZz » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:30 am

@Cambrioleur Don't worry all that stuff will stay. So all these pro sheep taggers can still show there awesome skills off :)

Burn
Protector of Nature

Postby Burn » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:15 am

Eh, I think Island Defense is more fun without having to worry about getting item jumped. I rarely item jump as titan these days anyway, and it's so easily counterable.

-Burn

1337hamburger
Treant

Postby 1337hamburger » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:42 pm

Any chance we could get an update at where you currently are shadowzz?

ShadowZz
Poison Treant

Postby ShadowZz » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:47 pm

Slowly dredging through coding whilst trying to not fail my university degree due to working on standalone :D

Creating a game takes a while and not having a paycheck as a direct result of that game makes development a lot slower. Things are still moving along though and mechanics are basically finished (small refinements left). Meanwhile adding "skills" etc takes time and updating the build grid to be fluent takes time too.

All I can say is that things are still being developed. I'm sure you can understand that I still have a personal life to attend to alongside any development :)

1337hamburger
Treant

Postby 1337hamburger » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:51 pm

Thanks for the update, can't wait to try it out mate!

Roxen
Armored Tree

Postby Roxen » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:01 am

just a heads up, i would love to be a beta tester :D
Random for the lolz.
youtube.com/watch?v=6Cs3Pvmmv0E ^^

ShadowZz
Poison Treant

Postby ShadowZz » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:49 am

All beta testers will be chosen closer to the time of a working release. Everyone has potential to be a beta tester and it won't just be good players, just to note :) When I open it up I'll post a topic for it and pm people who are already on the list.

Miukii
Armored Tree

Postby Miukii » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:27 am

Any way i can get on beta test list? i entered for it for sat beta testing

ShadowZz
Poison Treant

Postby ShadowZz » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:44 am

Miukii wrote: i entered for it for sat beta testing

??

Brony
Resource Storage

Postby Brony » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:35 pm

ShadowZz wrote:Slowly dredging through coding whilst trying to not fail my university degree due to working on standalone :D

Creating a game takes a while and not having a paycheck as a direct result of that game makes development a lot slower. Things are still moving along though and mechanics are basically finished (small refinements left). Meanwhile adding "skills" etc takes time and updating the build grid to be fluent takes time too.

All I can say is that things are still being developed. I'm sure you can understand that I still have a personal life to attend to alongside any development :)

Cant you kickstart the project?

Return to “Island Defense”