game development

General discussion about Warcraft III and Enterprise.
Guts_
Armored Tree

game development

Postby Guts_ » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:15 am

Hey all,

I've been developming an indie game for a bit. If anyone with an interest in game development and old wcIII custom maps wants to brainstorm ideas (it would be great to know favorite aspects of old games that they wish they saw taken further), let me know. it is heavily inspired by a variety of custom games like Dota/RKR/etc.. I should add that I have a MSc in CS and math, but I really have NO CLUE what I'm doing and figuring stuff out in hackish manner as i go along.
So any advice from veteran game developers on here also welcome.

some screenshots below:

Capture4.PNG
Capture4.PNG (4.66 MiB) Viewed 1424 times

Capture2.PNG
Capture2.PNG (4.56 MiB) Viewed 1424 times

angryramen_re
Aura Tree

Re: game development

Postby angryramen_re » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:05 am

Hello,

That looks pretty cool! The arena kinda reminds me of "Hero Line Wars," except this could be in 1st person. I have no experience in game development, but keep up the good work bro!

Cheers,
Angryramen_re

Sylvanas
Treant Protector

Postby Sylvanas » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:08 am

I have no idea what's going on in those screenshots, but it looks interesting. Good luck to you.

Guts_
Armored Tree

Postby Guts_ » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:35 am

Jumong wrote:like if you lvl 1 human u should have nothing but barehand -- > swordman have a sword

Changing the models as game goes along might be difficult simply because its a lot of 3d modeling rigging/animating which is time-consuming. I'm ok at it, but it takes me forever just to do 1. I like the idea though. I definitely want to add the concept of leveling / gaining experience since thats the addiction factor. What i can't decide is how strong the mobs should be versus the user controlled heroes. Ill post more screenshots / game plot as i go figure it out though.

Guts_
Armored Tree

Postby Guts_ » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:36 am

angryramen_re wrote:Hello,

That looks pretty cool! The arena kinda reminds me of "Hero Line Wars," except this could be in 1st person. I have no experience in game development, but keep up the good work bro!

Cheers,
Angryramen_re

Thanks. hopefully one day i can put it on Steam for the people who still like these types of games
These users thanked the author Guts_ for the post:
angryramen_re (Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:38 pm)

angryramen_re
Aura Tree

Postby angryramen_re » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:40 pm

Guts_ wrote:
angryramen_re wrote:Hello,

Cheers,
Angryramen_re

Thanks. hopefully one day i can put it on Steam for the people who still like these types of games

Hehe. So I was right! Yeah. Having a separate dedicated game for this is going to be pretty awesome. Just like how Dota started out as a custom map in Starcraft (called "Aeon of Strife"), then a custom map in W3, and now it's on steam.

Good luck to you mate!
These users thanked the author angryramen_re for the post:
Guts_ (Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:36 am)

Shanter
Basic Tree

Postby Shanter » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:47 am

I think. that developing games is quite difficult. I hope that you will succeed.

Return to “General Discussions”