dota ban request waste of time?

General discussion about Warcraft III and Enterprise.
calmspirit
Aura Tree

dota ban request waste of time?

Postby calmspirit » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:07 am

seems mods aren't really dealing with ban requests at all
These users thanked the author calmspirit for the post:
Prime987 (Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:12 pm)

EdgeOfChaos

Re: dota ban request waste of time?

Postby EdgeOfChaos » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:17 am

They are.. the requests are just coming in at a faster rate, which is why there are 7 pages.

BeerLord
Protector of Nature

Postby BeerLord » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:55 pm

Sorry fellas, Ive gotten so sick of the drama queens, I need a break or maybe just retire.
These users thanked the author BeerLord for the post:
kunkka (Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:19 pm)

Yarragon
Treant

Postby Yarragon » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:49 pm

Fun fact: If you don't want to play with certain people you can host your own games and kick / ban them from it. Oh no, you lose the ability to track your k/d/a, but for most people that doesn't matter anyway...
"Sura is a God dude, like for real."
-Burn/Timmy/Avion

Sylvanas
Treant Protector

Postby Sylvanas » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:01 pm

BeerLord wrote:Sorry fellas, Ive gotten so sick of the drama queens, I need a break or maybe just retire.

Well, that's up to you, but if the ban requests keep going, it means the wc3connect transition worked and people moved on to being drama queens in greener pastures. It's probably not the best time to do that.

Yarragon wrote:Fun fact: If you don't want to play with certain people you can host your own games and kick / ban them from it. Oh no, you lose the ability to track your k/d/a, but for most people that doesn't matter anyway...

Do you even believe the shit you say anymore? I mean, all you have to do is to be an omnipotent god-spirit that somehow knows the name of every ruiner in advance and that keeps track of their new accounts and kick them from your lobbies, right? Simple.
These users thanked the author Sylvanas for the post:
Prime987 (Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:11 pm)

EdgeOfChaos

Postby EdgeOfChaos » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:52 am

Well for what it's worth I hope you don't retire :D and there should be more dota mods than just you.
Any drama in particular to share? We love that over in the Dota Discussion forums.

It does seem people are getting a little upsetti over the ban requests though: viewtopic.php?f=8&p=532485#p532485

BeerLord
Protector of Nature

Postby BeerLord » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:29 am

Here is one... So sick of this knucklehead.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=137741
viewtopic.php?f=172&t=137751
viewtopic.php?f=172&t=137727

Mp i cannot take seriously at all, constantly crying and pouting in games. He believes that I ignore his ban requests because I dont like him.

Sylvanas
Treant Protector

Postby Sylvanas » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:29 pm

Don't tell me someone picked his precious Jakiro again!?!?!?

kunkka
Treant

Postby kunkka » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:52 pm

BeerLord wrote:Here is one... So sick of this knucklehead.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=137741
viewtopic.php?f=172&t=137751
viewtopic.php?f=172&t=137727

Mp i cannot take seriously at all, constantly crying and pouting in games. He believes that I ignore his ban requests because I dont like him.

Guess I got the answer to my question... took a month tho

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=136575&p=527940#p527940

EdgeOfChaos

Postby EdgeOfChaos » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:20 am

Sylvanas wrote:Don't tell me someone picked his precious Jakiro again!?!?!?

You might like this one: https://entgaming.net/openstats/dota/game/11585032/
I picked his Jakiro, made him go 0/2/0 and lose 20 ELO. Triple whammy. Master_pain is just too easy these days. I was Slark of course.
Here's the other recent one: https://entgaming.net/findstats.php?id=11582582

Astros
ENT Staff

Postby Astros » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:15 pm

Outside of the very few (can count them with three fingers), you have a rotation of moderators who just want to be moderators to have some sort of power in their lives. Beerlord had told me a few days ago he wanted to quit moderating. I don't blame him. He's the only one who puts any effort and it must be unsatisfying to be the one handling the most ban requests and getting ridiculed by others for the great job and effort he is putting into them. As it is now, yeah, ban requests are definitely not as effective as they should be. It's like a bank robbery happening on January 1st, reported on January 1st, and the cops only decide to start investigating the case on June 1st after the bank robber had already robbed five other banks. Players who broke a significant rule a month ago and a ban request was submitted for them have still not been banned because of the lack of active reviewing moderators. Now, I am in no way advocating that moderators should be forced to handle all ban requests on a timely basis but there should be some emphasis on trying to get a few done so others (Beerlord) aren't overwhelmed. The moderator requirement list states: "Treat this application like a job interview." That's quite ironic because many of them would be fired for not doing anything. It's not that they aren't even active and online. It's the fact that their last active date is literally yesterday and if you check the list of processed ban requests, you'll see it's a pattern of a few names only. It's a voluntary role, I get it. But let's be honest here: They aren't doing anything. Call it what you want but it can't be disputed. When I was a mod, I did what I could and quit moderating when I couldn't or no longer wanted to do it. There should be no reason for a moderator to have an indefinite period of moderating status when the minimal is being done. And believe me, quite a few moderators have stated the same but I would rather not mention their names. @edgeofchaos , I'm guessing the amount of games have declined and so has the amount of players so that would inherently lead to less ban requests but that's not the problem I see. It's a accumulation of ban requests that have sat there idle.
These users thanked the author Astros for the post:
Prime987 (Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:11 pm)
ENT Custom Games Discord ------------------ https://discord.gg/kGAUdTYZ5B

kunkka
Treant

Postby kunkka » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:12 pm

Astros wrote:But let's be honest here: They aren't doing anything.

Wrong! They just don't do ban requests. They do better things like wandering around and deleting posts they don't like :twisted:

Zeratul

Postby Zeratul » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:55 pm

Astros wrote:The moderator requirement list states: "Treat this application like a job interview." That's quite ironic because many of them would be fired for not doing anything. It's not that they aren't even active and online. It's the fact that their last active date is literally yesterday and if you check the list of processed ban requests, you'll see it's a pattern of a few names only. It's a voluntary role, I get it. But let's be honest here: They aren't doing anything. Call it what you want but it can't be disputed. When I was a mod, I did what I could and quit moderating when I couldn't or no longer wanted to do it. There should be no reason for a moderator to have an indefinite period of moderating status when the minimal is being done.

^This, sadly it has been the reality for many years, and (unfortunately), i don't see it changing any time soon - It's a voluntary role, true, but even in real life, on voluntary jobs, where you dedicate your free time, they expect some presence / time from you, to ensure things don't get out of control, and that you're commited to it, and that's something that people should realize, when they apply to become a moderator: If at any time you lose the commitment, or the passion you had before, take some time off, and re-define priorities and what you want: If you believe you're no longer interested or have the passion/time for it, you should just resign; And if after taking the break, you think you can handle it once again, then go for it - No one is forcing you to be a moderator, but at the same time, own the "responsability" you once stood/applied for.

Like nabo once told me, usually its between the mark at 6-8 months, after becoming a moderator, that you see whether you're fit or have the passion for it, and it's when you see the activity increase, or decrease, which represents exactly that.

I know that my presence (or rather my opinion/contributions) is seen as disappointing (as some already noted), but truth be said - when i was a moderator (for all the time i was here), we had less active moderators than half of the current team, and things never looked as badly as it does now (Yes, we still had people overworking, while others were playing and ignoring their forum duties - it always happened, lets not lie here), but that's not the case atm:

There's ban requests almost 2 months old now, appeals take ages to get checked (and if its a rangeban, it's almost better to just reset your router till you find a non rangebanned IP, than expecting an answer) - I won't mention tech support, since with the wc3connect phase, it got spammed with lots and lots of support topics, so that one would be expected to be a little "messy" for a while (till it gets back on track)

So with all of this happening, you can expect the community to think twice before sticking around: There's those that play and never visit the forum, but if the tendency dind't change (from my time), we always noted that the community became a lot more active in the forum over the years, and involved with stuff, and seeing how the moderation team is .. inactive (in lack of a better word), i don't blame when i see some of them over at BK, due to it (There's other situations that influenced it, but that's something that won't ever change, and no need to add that to the present conversation).

TL;DR

For those that keep the boat (just enough) above the water, appreciate the hard work and the time you keep volunteering for it
For those that need a wake up call .. well, wake up, and remember why you applied and start doing your job (or resign if you dont have the time, to avoid being a nuisance when others think why they should invest time, when you're sitting there doing nothing)

PS: Before you decide to point the finger at me, remember that, despite all of my internal conflicts with the management, my work as a moderator was always done (even during my breaks, i still had more activity than some), and present is what it is.

Astros
ENT Staff

Postby Astros » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:31 pm

Zeratul wrote:
Astros wrote:The moderator requirement list states: "Treat this application like a job interview." That's quite ironic because many of them would be fired for not doing anything. It's not that they aren't even active and online. It's the fact that their last active date is literally yesterday and if you check the list of processed ban requests, you'll see it's a pattern of a few names only. It's a voluntary role, I get it. But let's be honest here: They aren't doing anything. Call it what you want but it can't be disputed. When I was a mod, I did what I could and quit moderating when I couldn't or no longer wanted to do it. There should be no reason for a moderator to have an indefinite period of moderating status when the minimal is being done.

^This, sadly it has been the reality for many years, and (unfortunately), i don't see it changing any time soon - It's a voluntary role, true, but even in real life, on voluntary jobs, where you dedicate your free time, they expect some presence / time from you, to ensure things don't get out of control, and that you're commited to it, and that's something that people should realize, when they apply to become a moderator: If at any time you lose the commitment, or the passion you had before, take some time off, and re-define priorities and what you want: If you believe you're no longer interested or have the passion/time for it, you should just resign; And if after taking the break, you think you can handle it once again, then go for it - No one is forcing you to be a moderator, but at the same time, own the "responsability" you once stood/applied for.

Like nabo once told me, usually its between the mark at 6-8 months, after becoming a moderator, that you see whether you're fit or have the passion for it, and it's when you see the activity increase, or decrease, which represents exactly that.

I know that my presence (or rather my opinion/contributions) is seen as disappointing (as some already noted), but truth be said - when i was a moderator (for all the time i was here), we had less active moderators than half of the current team, and things never looked as badly as it does now (Yes, we still had people overworking, while others were playing and ignoring their forum duties - it always happened, lets not lie here), but that's not the case atm:

There's ban requests almost 2 months old now, appeals take ages to get checked (and if its a rangeban, it's almost better to just reset your router till you find a non rangebanned IP, than expecting an answer) - I won't mention tech support, since with the wc3connect phase, it got spammed with lots and lots of support topics, so that one would be expected to be a little "messy" for a while (till it gets back on track)

So with all of this happening, you can expect the community to think twice before sticking around: There's those that play and never visit the forum, but if the tendency dind't change (from my time), we always noted that the community became a lot more active in the forum over the years, and involved with stuff, and seeing how the moderation team is .. inactive (in lack of a better word), i don't blame when i see some of them over at BK, due to it (There's other situations that influenced it, but that's something that won't ever change, and no need to add that to the present conversation).

TL;DR

For those that keep the boat (just enough) above the water, appreciate the hard work and the time you keep volunteering for it
For those that need a wake up call .. well, wake up, and remember why you applied and start doing your job (or resign if you dont have the time, to avoid being a nuisance when others think why they should invest time, when you're sitting there doing nothing)

PS: Before you decide to point the finger at me, remember that, despite all of my internal conflicts with the management, my work as a moderator was always done (even during my breaks, i still had more activity than some), and present is what it is.

Even when I was a mod (about six months ago), the ban requests were handled promptly and I believe there was at most, 1-2 pages of them at any given time. The ban request effectiveness is the lowest I've seen here. I know there are mods here who are salty and think they're on some top-level executive role because they're an ENT moderator but this is a very simple role you have here that anyone can do. Either you do it or don't. It doesn't take a genius to open up a few links, skip to that timestamp, and figure out if there should be a ban or not. The average ban request should be solved likely under five minutes. I've seen less and less maphack ban requests so mostly the ban requests are for flaming, abusing the bot commands, abusing votekick, or afk. Again, not really trying to force moderators to do something that they aren't getting compensated for but really, you're all on Discord all day. Please don't tell me you're the CEO of Apple or something.
These users thanked the author Astros for the post:
Prime987 (Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:12 pm)
ENT Custom Games Discord ------------------ https://discord.gg/kGAUdTYZ5B

EdgeOfChaos

Postby EdgeOfChaos » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:50 pm

Meh. It's really hard to stay active; this is the reason why I was demoted the first time and quit the second time. Putting up with this forum is tough, it's hard to get motivated to do it, and there's real life + having other shit you want to do. I don't fault anyone for activity levels. Though two-month old ban request is quite long to be honest.

Having a huge backlog in appeals is worse than in requests I think. I always did appeals first, which is why I have 1000+ posts there.

Return to “General Discussions”