Basic Gameplay adjustments

Talk all you want about Defense of the Ancients here.
Sir Meon
Aura Tree

Basic Gameplay adjustments

Postby Sir Meon » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:35 pm

Hello guys, it's me, Sir Meon! :D
I have a couple of questions (again, never seem to run out of them haha)...
Just to explain my situation: I'm coming from Dota 2, have played a couple of bot-matches there with my brother, and currently I am trying to play a game of DotA every now and then online with others.
My basic problem is the shop and how to find items I need, and generally knowing which items to build/buy - but that is not the problem I wanted to bring up here, as it might mostly be experience haha
The other problems are the hotkeys in the game and the configuration of my hero. I made a custom key textfile with some sort of online tool, so I could just use my skills like in Dota 2 - QWER configuration, basically. Trying it with sniper resulted in sometimes usable Q for shrapnel, and sometimes the game said it should be r, overwriting the ultimate. That is not a thing I want to happen in a game when it really matters. Do you have any ideas?
Also, I'd be happy if i could use other keys than the num-pad for my inventory, I'm so used to having my tango on Y or the teleport on N...
The second thing is that the heros are by default configured to autoattack whatever they see. But I don't want that, I want to be able to just stand somewhere if i don't issue any other commands. There was a setting in Dota 2 to prevent the hero from going in on autopilot, and I'd love to have that sort of config for my DotA-Hero as well :)
Any suggestions on this sort of things?
I'd be glad if somebody knows a solution for any of the issues, thank you in advance ;)

FollowingPath
Forest Walker

Re: Basic Gameplay adjustments

Postby FollowingPath » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:22 pm

Sir Meon wrote:The other problems are the hotkeys in the game and the configuration of my hero. I made a custom key textfile with some sort of online tool, so I could just use my skills like in Dota 2 - QWER configuration, basically. Trying it with sniper resulted in sometimes usable Q for shrapnel, and sometimes the game said it should be r, overwriting the ultimate. That is not a thing I want to happen in a game when it really matters. Do you have any ideas?

Unfortunately I'm not sure about the custom hotkeys for skills since I've never really used them.

Edit:
Warkey can also change the skill hotkeys to QWER, but you have to manually do it for each hero. Basically if your hero's first skill has T as a hotkey, you have to designate the hotkey for skill1 in Warkey as T, then use Warkey to make Q = T. Do this for all 4 spells and you'll have QWER as hotkeys. Only problem is that I don't think you can type in chat using the original hotkey letters, so in this case you'd have to chat without using T.

Sir Meon wrote:Also, I'd be happy if i could use other keys than the num-pad for my inventory, I'm so used to having my tango on Y or the teleport on N...

For inventory I suggest using Warkeys, it allows you to change the inventory hotkeys to something else. I personally use the F1-F6 keys.

Sir Meon wrote:The second thing is that the heros are by default configured to autoattack whatever they see. But I don't want that, I want to be able to just stand somewhere if i don't issue any other commands. There was a setting in Dota 2 to prevent the hero from going in on autopilot, and I'd love to have that sort of config for my DotA-Hero as well :)

As far as I know, there's no way to stop your hero from auto-attacking without using the Move command on a unit or building, but that won't really help with lasthitting. A lot of people just pace back and forth before attacking.
These users thanked the author FollowingPath for the post:
Sir Meon (Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:14 pm)

divinerape

Postby divinerape » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:48 pm

Take this how you will but...

Go play dota 2 bro. The thing that makes regular dota fun is also how complicated it is, trying to change/ruin that makes it boring. QWER keys are a joke, you should play with that setting OFF even in dota 2

Burnt
Treant Protector

Postby Burnt » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:55 pm

I set Q to use tango loll. QWER is for kids bro. get legit with original keys and you free up Q, Z, X to use items for most heroes :)

Y and N is way too far away which is gonna slow down your control imo
GOTEM

Dhamma
Treant

Postby Dhamma » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:15 pm

Agreed! Legacy keys are best. Except for voker, i found the originals a bit awkward and made adjustments.

For items, i find it easiest to just bind them to mouse buttons. Ofc having a mouse with more than just back and forward button will allow one to bind more item slots.
Vipassana: to see things as they really are. This meditation was rediscovered by Buddha more than 2500 years ago and was taught by him as a universal remedy for universal ills. This technique aims for the total eradication of mental impurities and the resultant highest happiness of full liberation

memaru
Armored Tree

Postby memaru » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:41 am

divinerape wrote:Take this how you will but...

Go play dota 2 bro. The thing that makes regular dota fun is also how complicated it is, trying to change/ruin that makes it boring. QWER keys are a joke, you should play with that setting OFF even in dota 2

QWER keys are a joke? Using a computer to play DotA is a joke, I play on a tablet with touchscreen as inputs. Can't be serious with this comment now are you?
These users thanked the author memaru for the post:
Sir Meon (Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:05 pm)

Sir Meon
Aura Tree

Postby Sir Meon » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:13 pm

If you think the fun of DotA is struggling with the keys and learning a new configuration/hotkey set for every hero and his ability, I won't blame you for having different aspects you like in the same game. My preferrences are very different, but that's just the way it is :) I personally don't think QWER is a joke and a lot of other people would disagree with you there, but that is not why I made the thread.
Also playing Dota 2 is not an option here. And by the way, if you know very well where you are heading, N is not that far away... but i also set the items that are used more often and in the middle of fights or other situations when I need to get it done quick to the slots where it is further left in the row ;)

In the further comments below, please just provide help like @FollowingPath did. This is not meant to be a discussion about how you think DotA should be played blablabla
I don't really care about that in this thread, we can open a new one if you want to discuss this though, no problem :)

Frank
Forest Walker

Postby Frank » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:31 am

Yall soft, I play dota on my Nokia 3310.

ForsakeMe
Treant

Postby ForsakeMe » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:39 am

Frank wrote:Yall soft, I play dota on my Nokia 3310.

dats why u play like a snake :lol:
These users thanked the author ForsakeMe for the post:
Sir Meon (Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:17 pm)

Return to “Defense of the Ancients”