Basic Dota Tips

Talk all you want about Defense of the Ancients here.
WolfPackMama
Forest Walker

Re: Basic Dota Tips

Postby WolfPackMama » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:19 am

Yes, PA's blur is a hard counter to any hero who naturally goes for invisibility, Gondar, Bone, Legion and Slark come to mind. Immediate dust and dagger for slow is almost always a sure escape from any gank.

Another topic worth talking about is the skill level from where you go from counter-picking into counter-building. You don't have to pick Phantom Lancer every game against a Leoric. Windrunner is not a natural counter against Leoric, let's say, but with only one item (Diffusal Blade), she can become his greatest nightmare, effectively keeping her utility role while becoming a natural counter with items.
Mother of three gals who call themselves "The Wolf Pack", hence the name :)

Sylvanas
Treant Protector

Postby Sylvanas » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:15 am

TEAMWORK AND SHIT

1. Whenever you die, it's because your team is never with you (the 4 of them are always all the way across the map). Upon dying, It's customary to ping the closest ally on the minimap 10+ times and to ask them why they didn't do anything. It's not important to establish what they should have done, obviously you wouldn't be dead if they did whatever they were supposed to do.

2. Whenever your allies die, it's because they're feeders who don't stick with the team. Remind them frequently.

3. Mid is the awesomest position to be, so you should always be mid*. Take your allies by surprise by yelling MID!!! immediately when the game starts, before any of them are able to come up with reasons why anyone else should be in mid. If someone else still insists on going mid, STAND YOUR FUCKING GROUND. Keep in mind that he is the one ruining the game with his unreasonable behavior, while you're the victim of a great injustice.

*IF NOT MID: First of all, you fucked up. You must always be mid. If whichever shit lane you're in is failing, it's only because mid didn't gank (you should have been mid).

THE BEST ITEMS

1. Dagon is the best item. You must get it every game. Dagon is perfect for killing heroes, as long as your allies are doing their job for once by lowering their hp enough for you to finish them off with it. It absolutely must be upgraded to level 5 so that you can continue doing so increasingly often and from an increasingly safe distance. Upgrading it all the way to 5 is very expensive, but taking all the kills will fortunately help you in doing so.

2. Lothar is also the best item. You must also get it every game. Going invisible in team fights takes the heat away from you, who is awesome, and redirects it towards your worthless allies, who you obviously don't care about and deserve no better. By picking a tanky hero and going invisible all the time, the enemy team will quickly get the message that they should give up on killing you and target someone else instead.

3. Bfury/vanguard/mom are highly suggested items for every hero. If ever in doubt what to get next, get all 3 (or bfury 3 times).

4. Some heroes are natural radiance carriers. If playing one of those, always farm radiance regardless of the circumstances. If it proves too difficult, don't panic. Just make something else and try again in half an hour.

5. If playing a hero with an innate crit type skill, always get buriza. You may occasionally notice that your crit numbers are stacked on top of one another. If this happens, also don't panic! Those are widely known to be the best crits. Simply put, this means that your awesomeness is completely out of control and you're critting so hard that your damage is immeasurable.

6. Divine rapier is a situational item that should only be gotten when already comfortably winning. Doing so will allow you to awe both teams with the size of your sword. Unfortunately, this item drops upon dying, quite possibly throwing the game in the process. Should this happen, immediately let your idiot teammates know how badly they just fucked up by letting you die in the first place.

Note: By following these tips, you will notice that your kdr is increasing while your win ratio is decreasing. This is because despite your steady improvement, your teams are becoming shittier and shittier. Frequently remind them while pointing at your stats as evidence that everything is their fault.
Last edited by Sylvanas on Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author Sylvanas for the post:
kunkka (Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:12 pm)

Dhamma
Treant

Postby Dhamma » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:21 am

Sylvanas is Shoc, right?

WolfPackMama wrote:You don't have to pick Phantom Lancer every game against a Leoric.

I rather like Arc for Leo. With double book, he won't have any mana to become Jesus anytime soon. Tho it does help to have someone else who can deal hard damage to him. Arc tends to be targeted during fights kind of hard.
Vipassana: to see things as they really are. This meditation was rediscovered by Buddha more than 2500 years ago and was taught by him as a universal remedy for universal ills. This technique aims for the total eradication of mental impurities and the resultant highest happiness of full liberation

WolfPackMama
Forest Walker

Postby WolfPackMama » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:25 pm

Radiance deserves a topic of it's own.

Even though some heroes are excellent radiance carriers (Whether they have illusions or adds (Naga Siren, Phantom Lancer, Syllabear) or great self-sustain (Alchemist, Undying, Abaddon)), I can't stress enough that radiance IS NOT FOR EVERY GAME.

Zeratul

Postby Zeratul » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:41 pm

WolfPackMama wrote:I can't stress enough that radiance IS NOT FOR EVERY GAME.

@Sylvanas read this!!! :D 10/10, i lol everytime i remember these links u posted back then:

https://entgaming.net/findstats.php?id=10802397 * https://entgaming.net/findstats.php?id=10803052 * https://entgaming.net/findstats.php?id=10793438 * https://entgaming.net/findstats.php?id=10793282

He changed strategy tho - now its necro book over and over xD

PS: I do agree with you WolfPackMama (and im not mocking your comment, simply there's players who don't think like that, and you reminded me of one ^^)

Sylvanas
Treant Protector

Postby Sylvanas » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:12 am

Zeratul wrote:He changed strategy tho - now its necro book over and over xD

He was already getting necronomicon almost every game back then. I just didn't mention it, because unlike radiance it's a reasonable item to get.

I added rapier to recommended items. How did I forget?

EdgeOfChaos

Postby EdgeOfChaos » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:59 am

Those are amazing tips, Sylvanas.
The sad part is that lots of players actually follow those tips. Players who think hitting radi first at 30 minutes is a good spec build.
And don't get me wrong, I've built my share of meme rapiers. But there really are players who think its a good item and will change the tide of the game.

WolfPackMama
Forest Walker

Postby WolfPackMama » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:49 am

Chances are, if you can't farm up radiance at the 15th minute mark, it will lose almost all of it's effectiveness. The only other time when late radiance is acceptable is when your team is heavily single-target orientated, and there's a bunch of daggers on the enemy team.

Rapier's a fine item, but people don't know how to use it. It's meant to be a surprise for that final fight to give you the extra edge you need - but people allow themselves to be seen with it beforehand. It's just a big ass bullseye on their hero in that case.

Dhamma
Treant

Postby Dhamma » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:16 am

WolfPackMama wrote:Even though some heroes are excellent radiance carriers (Whether they have illusions or adds (Naga Siren, Phantom Lancer, Syllabear) or great self-sustain (Alchemist, Undying, Abaddon)), I can't stress enough that radiance IS NOT FOR EVERY GAME.

I think the best radiance hero is Necro. And I do get it every game. It has fantastic synergy with his passives. In fights, all he has to do is survive enough to get a kill, or 2. He will regen if he's taking damage and keep healing his allies, all the while reducing enemy HP a good deal just by being there. And Radi helps him get a lot of kills, and makes him one of the fastest farmers in the game. Even if you get it a little late, it'll help you catch up. The games it's useless are lost no matter what items you have.
Vipassana: to see things as they really are. This meditation was rediscovered by Buddha more than 2500 years ago and was taught by him as a universal remedy for universal ills. This technique aims for the total eradication of mental impurities and the resultant highest happiness of full liberation

EdgeOfChaos

Postby EdgeOfChaos » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:21 pm

All rapier gives is damage. That's not even that good. I'd much rather have Buriza or MKB for the final fight.

WolfPackMama
Forest Walker

Postby WolfPackMama » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:50 pm

On certain characters, like Medusa, Wind, Arc or Spectre - it gives more overall damage output.
Medusa does not proc Split whenever she crits, Wind will likely already have a Buriza, Arc with proper build can double his damage, and Spectre can cause chaos just with her ult and divine alone.

kunkka
Treant

Postby kunkka » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:30 pm

Lul rad on necro with 800 hp and rapier on spe who relies on illusions and dispersion. I like Sylvanas' tips better

FalenGa
Oversight Staff

Postby FalenGa » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:19 pm

In my opinion, if you know what you're doing, rushing radi on a 800 hp necro is solid strategy. You are able to farm twice as fast with it, which is bound to give you the upper hand between 20-35~ minutes.

Obviously, it heavily depends on the enemy team. If you're up against 5 nukers that can take you out before you can even heal, then yes, radi is not your first or even second choise.

Don't forget this discussion is based on public games.

Sylvanas
Treant Protector

Postby Sylvanas » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:37 pm

EdgeOfChaos wrote:Those are amazing tips, Sylvanas.
The sad part is that lots of players actually follow those tips. Players who think hitting radi first at 30 minutes is a good spec build.
And don't get me wrong, I've built my share of meme rapiers. But there really are players who think its a good item and will change the tide of the game.

If any item will, it will. Honestly, turning around a losing game is basically rapier's job description and it's the only thing it's ever worth buying for (excluding a certain imbalanced warden person that can exploit it). Slap that sucker on a hero that will cling to it and refuse to die while dealing outrageous damage (leoric, medusa) or that will hand the enemy team their asses with the effect or surprise before they realize what's happening (kunkka, gyro, luna) and you might get the momentum switch you need to take the win. It won't do miracles, but it's better than doing nothing. To use the most Canadian analogy ever, it's like pulling the goaltender at the end of a losing hockey game to try to tie the score and then win.

WolfPackMama wrote:On certain characters, like Medusa, Wind, Arc or Spectre - it gives more overall damage output.
Medusa does not proc Split whenever she crits, Wind will likely already have a Buriza, Arc with proper build can double his damage, and Spectre can cause chaos just with her ult and divine alone.

Images don't get any damage off of flat damage bonuses. Spectre's images get a grand total of 0 damage off of dr. Whenever I see one of my allies build bfury on a images-based hero, something that is disturbingly common on ck in particular, I ask them which part of the item they're buying it for, the damage that their images don't get, or the cleave that their images also don't get.
Last edited by Sylvanas on Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

EdgeOfChaos

Postby EdgeOfChaos » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:11 am

More likely you lose it really quick and now you're double screwed. Turtling hard and buying core items will almost always get you further than trying to pull off DR stuff.

However you're right that I did overlook two actual carriers of the item: arc warden and medusa

Return to “Defense of the Ancients”