Why can slark cast his ult while muted?

Talk all you want about Defense of the Ancients here.
bansheex
Forest Walker

Why can slark cast his ult while muted?

Postby bansheex » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:35 am

So I keep noticing this and I'm getting annoyed by it. If I'm nortrom and I ult, opponents should be muted. But slark can still cast his ult during this period. I don't really understand the mechanics behind this.

Here's a replay of him doing it several times.
https://entgaming.net/findstats.php?id=11616841

EdgeOfChaos

Re: Why can slark cast his ult while muted?

Postby EdgeOfChaos » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:51 am

He can't. The thing is, his C dispels buffs with a 1.5 second delay. So if he casts C and then you ult, it purges off the silence. Everything is a game of prediction with Slark. For this same reason, you may see stuns disappear early on him, or even dust.

As a slark player, I struggle the most when teams cooperate as 5 and buy gem and wards. So basically when people play as a competent team, which maybe happens 5% of the time.

bansheex
Forest Walker

Postby bansheex » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:24 am

Yeah I see it now, that's what's happening. As soon as he starts attacking out of his lothar, he's clicking that skill and when I ult upon seeing him, it undoes my mute. I really don't understand why they gave the skill a delay or made it debuff ults, seems OP. Is this the only skill in the game with no visual cue that's it's been activated? Why not put a timer above his head like Alchemist?

EdgeOfChaos

Postby EdgeOfChaos » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:53 pm

It's the point of the spell.

Since I'm giving anti-slark tips I guess, there is a visual cue if you know what to look for. There's a casting animation for dark pact, even if they cancel it you can still see it. Try to look for it really hard. If you really struggle to notice it, play Slark for some games and you'll get used to his moveset, then be able to counter it better. There is also a visual cue when Pact finishes, so that's the best time to disable slark.

The really important thing when playing vs. slark is to NOT be predictable. If slark predicts your disables, he beats you, without a doubt. In that game, saint probably picked up that you would ult right when you see him, so he pacts as soon as he goes into visibility and nullify your ultimate. If say, one of those times, you waited a few seconds to ult you could have caught him. This is one of the reasons slark feels op vs. random people, because most people are unbelievably easy to predict. As soon as slark comes into sight, they spam everything they have on him. Just makes it too easy.

Slark isn't overpowered, or even that good. He's just a nice hero for stomping people since there's always going to be 1-2 people who don't have any clue how to play vs slark, which is typically sufficient to win.

Return to “Defense of the Ancients”