Please Moderators Consider Small Changes

Talk all you want about Defense of the Ancients here.
Jazzy3113
Treant

Please Moderators Consider Small Changes

Postby Jazzy3113 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:13 am

Moderators,

Please consider some small basic changes to the games.

It seems as though only apem games will run simply because you make that the default. Could you please consider making the games not on easy mode? Could you consider making the default auto-balance?

You can give players the option to change the game back to easy mode or to take off auto balance for those players who like to stack. Simply change the default so the games become more fair.

These are small changes that I think everyone would welcome. Could you simply try these changes and see the outcomes? I feel strongly there will not be any uproar, but rather more players will come back to the community.

nitromon
Treant

Re: Please Moderators Consider Small Changes

Postby nitromon » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:35 am

Jazzy3113 wrote:It seems as though only apem games will run simply because you make that the default. Could you please consider making the games not on easy mode? Could you consider making the default auto-balance?

That simply is not true, which is why the AREM games won't fill up. It's supply and demand. I don't remember, but I'm pretty sure back in the older days, there were more than just APEM and AREM games, there were also SDEM and RDEM games. I could be wrong, those may be from Dotacash days. But the point is, they eventually end up like the AREM games, just not filling up.

The currently mode is the most accepted mode. Making the changes you want is "minority" opinion and it will deter people from playing. As much as I also don't care for stacked games, but I simply won't play on a team with a 400 elo guy b/c he got that rating for a reason. I deliberately move to avoid those players, often even opted out of the current game waiting to be filled just to play the next game. Autobalance will change all that and we have no choice who to play with.

On another note, I'm seeing more and more players getting early TPs and using them to evade early agil heroes. I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised and I hope to see more people adopting the fundamentals. :)

Merex
Oversight Staff

Postby Merex » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:15 am

Correct.

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=90714g

As exampled in the past, the removal of -apem or bots with different modes provided will either defer people away or bring in no population.
The Slap God - An EoC Story
  • ENT Rules, Guides and more can be found on our Wiki.
  • Contact the staff & interact with others by joining our Discord.
  • Now available: Host A Game UI.

Jazzy3113
Treant

Postby Jazzy3113 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:28 pm

okay, these are fair points I guess.

Do either of you have any ideas or comments as to why the arem have dried up? Before the latest blizzard patch the arem games would run regularly and now only apem games run.

Any thoughts on the current state?

nitromon
Treant

Postby nitromon » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:35 pm

I guess people got fed up with the random heroes that make no sense. There's a misconception b/c we think in APEM people pick their heroes so the match up is unfair. But in reality that lets you counter, despite almost every game there are a few heroes that just keep getting picked such as SB, techies, LC, slark, etc... But AREM in my opinion is much more chance of getting a bad team of heroes that don't match. Even more so if your opponent gets an OP hero like Slark, LC, etc... you don't have the option to pick a counter.

Astros
ENT Staff

Postby Astros » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:52 pm

The majority of ENT players aren't thinking, "Hmm, let me counter the other team." They also wouldn't even know what would constitute as a counter, anyways. The reason AREM games died has nothing to do with people getting fed up with random heroes that "makes no sense." AREM has been a part of DotA 1 for a decade so they can't just all of a sudden decide that 2018 is the year they move on from it and play APEM. The reason is most likely that the longer tenured DotA players played AREM and that inherently drove AREM games. With Blizzard destroying the bots and players simply quitting, you're left with few who do want to play with AREM and those who would rather play APEM. APEM and AREM games are a niche product. When SDEM and RDEM games used to fill up, there were simply more players than ever. The ultimate outlier is people are quitting. That's the one consistent factor in why SDEM, RDEM, and AREM games have no longer or won't fill. I'm not sure what changes ENT can make to gain the community back. Practically every game hosted has seen a decline in players while WC3's in-game hosted is growing. ENT will never be the way it was before. In a year or two, it may be discontinued due to the effort in managing these servers not being worth it.
These users thanked the author Astros for the post:
Prime987 (Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:09 pm)
ENT Custom Games Discord ------------------ https://discord.gg/kGAUdTYZ5B

xSAINTx1
Treant

Postby xSAINTx1 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:23 pm

How is it fair for a high elo (1500 elo+) to have to be paired with 4 700 elo's, vs 5 1000 elo smurfs? What sort of balance is that? If anything, reset all accounts that linger below 850 elo, and allow the noobs to keep their accounts that they've become sentimental with. No one wants to play on amodeo, vostok_the_kurd, batmanrise, dirtyjoedank, etc team, so they stack with high k/d players, or players with better overall stats. It's a no-brainer, and "stacking" will never go away, as its better to play a one-sided game, then to have no chance of winning with a team of naps who pick hard carries and fail every, single, game.

Jazzy3113
Treant

Postby Jazzy3113 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:17 am

Some good ideas in this thread. I guess the fact that people are leaving the game is something that is throwing the game out of whack.

A few ideas I think could be helpful, but not sure how open the mods are to making changes.

1. Less votes for auto balance different mod. As long as 4-5 players vote for it, it should be allowed? Many people are simply unaware of the voting commands. Or maybe run a third game in addition to the apem and arem that says autobalance apem games? Would be interesting to see which games run.
2. Maybe run one extra apem game that only players who have played over 50 or 100 games can play in?

These are small changes that I think could help.

I have one final question maybe some of you long time gamers can answer for me. I understand that ice frog moved on to Dota 2. But why is the game not allowed to be updated? Can't someone in the community be allowed to update the game? Maybe some slight nerfs to meep and slark? Slight tweaks to the items? Basically, why is the game unable to be updated anymore?

YamiBakura32
Armored Tree

Postby YamiBakura32 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:55 am

-
Last edited by YamiBakura32 on Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Vaylen,Dortfort,King.Kar and Garrosh did nothing wrong Assholes. - divinerape Messiah of ENT
I keep it real cause i'm not afraid to make enemies. YamiBakura32 - Best player on ENT

nitromon
Treant

Postby nitromon » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:32 pm

Jazzy3113 wrote:2. Maybe run one extra apem game that only players who have played over 50 or 100 games can play in?

You guys don't read the Suggestion forum? I Just made almost an exact same suggestion a few days ago!

Suggestion was denied, reason - not enough players

JupiterRetro
Aura Tree

Postby JupiterRetro » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:35 pm

Auto balance won't do much since there are way too many new accs/Smurfs these days. Unless auto balance is done by k/d instead of elo, I don't think it will do anything

phuphew
Armored Tree

Postby phuphew » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:02 am

nitromon wrote:
Jazzy3113 wrote:2. Maybe run one extra apem game that only players who have played over 50 or 100 games can play in?

You guys don't read the Suggestion forum? I Just made almost an exact same suggestion a few days ago!

Suggestion was denied, reason - not enough players

Apem fills in 3-20 mins... do you really think a game will ever fill when 90% of the people got < 50 games? Cmon!

Return to “Defense of the Ancients”