ELO Idea I had: ELO Floor

Talk all you want about Defense of the Ancients here.
bansheex
Forest Walker

ELO Idea I had: ELO Floor

Postby bansheex » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:00 am

There have been many ELO threads over the years. People are constantly trying to fix the stacking problem or at least reduce it. I think I have a way to improve things.

The main problem with ELO right now is that the system has no idea how good a new account is, so it assigns 1000. The implications of this means people see ELO entirely as an achievement they're afraid to lose, rather than as a rough measure of skill to assess game balance. This means there are lots of players with 1600+ skill playing on new accounts and smurfing because they're afraid of playing on real accounts. It distorts the ELO model entirely and becomes a game with one-sided risk. If you win against new accounts, you don't gain the ELO that you should gain. If you lose, you lose a ton. I constantly see games where it's not actually stacked skillwise, but the ELO system says it is, and the smurfs on their new accounts are talking shit and reveling in "stealing ur elo" yada yada. It's poisonous to think that new accounts vs old accounts = stacking.

It shouldn't be so easy for player who has proven his skills to drop ELO. So I suggest implementing an ELO floor every 100 points. If you get to 1100, you can't drop below 1100. And if you get to 1198, you can still drop 98 points but no further. This still makes it hard to get to a new tier, but it takes away the fear of getting smurfed from 1600 to 1300 and lets these good players relax a bit and play on real accounts instead of making endless new ones to avoid the smurf culture.

xSAINTx1
Treant

Re: ELO Idea I had: ELO Floor

Postby xSAINTx1 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:23 am

I like this concept. Wish there was a way to prevent so many smurfs, but the days of fun DotA are gone. Expect a slark against you every single game once you pass 1500 elo, as well as his trusty space cow sb, a mega farmed unkillable spectre if you don't end game before 30 mins, legion who backdoors, and sniper shooting u from afar. But when you play meepo to counter the cancer, you are considered trash and a low-life. Welcome to easy mode dota!

Sad that I and others cannot play on our mains, for fear of inferior players repicking counter heroes to the most abusable ones for this patch and game mode (as previously mentioned) and beating you for 25+ elo, which would take 5-10 games to win back, assuming you didnt have a roster of four 500 elo players on your side. Good luck to those who wish to reach top 10 rank, as it will never be done again without a team.

MageOfTime
Forest Walker

Postby MageOfTime » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:31 am

i dont know u saint but i think its time to move on to dota 2

xSAINTx1
Treant

Postby xSAINTx1 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:19 am

You're right. PayPal me 1k dollars for new CPU, 4 GB RAM, new keyboard, headset, chair and mouse plz. I'm currently using 2007 CPU with windows xp. Appreciate you though.
These users thanked the author xSAINTx1 for the post:
YakOoM (Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:04 am)

MageOfTime
Forest Walker

Postby MageOfTime » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:15 am

you're missing out theres a ton of people your skill level playing dota 2 feel kinda bad for you

MageOfTime
Forest Walker

Postby MageOfTime » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:23 am

also they got rid of easy mode so heros like meepo and slark arent broken anymore

xSAINTx1
Treant

Postby xSAINTx1 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:48 pm

You're right, but meepo still has quite a high win percent in immortal bracket as a late cheese pick. I'm sure herald/archon Players dont know how to play as a team to counter meepo, etc. As soon as I can afford a new gaming setup, I will move to d2. Salam, peace and love my brother.

MageOfTime
Forest Walker

Postby MageOfTime » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:13 pm

well even if herald and archon players cant beat a good meepo they will mostlikely be playing against a herald/archon meepo but theres the occasional smurf

Astros
ENT Staff

Postby Astros » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:43 am

xSAINTx1 wrote:You're right. PayPal me 1k dollars for new CPU, 4 GB RAM, new keyboard, headset, chair and mouse plz. I'm currently using 2007 CPU with windows xp. Appreciate you though.

You can get away with a $200 build with used parts. PC parts get fairly outdated quickly so you should be able to run most games on above average settings as it is. I haven't used a gaming card for over a year and I can handle DotA 2 at minimal settings fairly well. Also, I believe Windows 10 is free, lol.
These users thanked the author Astros for the post:
Prime987 (Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:10 pm)
ENT Custom Games Discord ------------------ https://discord.gg/kGAUdTYZ5B

nitromon
Treant

Postby nitromon » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:17 am

How about just get rid of ELO altogether? It is meaningless. KDR is more accurate most of the time. A guy with 0.5 kdr is to be avoided regardless of elo.

bansheex
Forest Walker

Postby bansheex » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:02 am

nitromon wrote:How about just get rid of ELO altogether? It is meaningless. KDR is more accurate most of the time. A guy with 0.5 kdr is to be avoided regardless of elo.

Because it's a tower defense game, and sometimes it makes sense to be sacrificial like die for a rax or pick support heroes. If you over-emphasize kdr, people are gonna play goofy and pick goofy to boost kdr instead of doing things that will help them rax and throne.

YakOoM
Forest Walker

Postby YakOoM » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:42 pm

I dont know why all the people try to stack? i mean its not a good game if it ends after 14minutes.. so if its possible, why not allow to make only one account for everyone. When you get killed by a stacked team then, youll only loose 5 elo and not 15 for example.

nitromon
Treant

Postby nitromon » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:48 pm

bansheex wrote:Because it's a tower defense game, and sometimes it makes sense to be sacrificial like die for a rax or pick support heroes. If you over-emphasize kdr, people are gonna play goofy and pick goofy to boost kdr instead of doing things that will help them rax and throne.

I just can't agree with that. :| A person doesn't need a 2 KDR or 3 KDR, but min should be at least a 1 kdr. You give what you take. And we're talking about overall stats, unless it is a person who solely plays tank and tank alone, or suicide techies or suicide rhasta. But even so, tanks can't just go rambo all the time. They may need to sacrifice themselves, but they still need to pick and choose which battle to fight, when to tank, when to run.

When I play treant support, I usually end up with 0 kills and sometimes 1 or 2 kills and then sometimes bad games I get 0-4, but overall stat is always above 1.0 kdr.

I've seen quite a few times where a rhasta ditches his team and plays suicide rhasta and goes 3-16 but wins the game b/c elo is more important. Or a geo or arc warden that never engages in fights, just plays chicken all game and sacrifice his teammates to push. That's just lame imho and abuse of the game.
These users thanked the author nitromon for the post:
YakOoM (Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:01 pm)

bansheex
Forest Walker

Postby bansheex » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:37 am

nitromon wrote:I've seen quite a few times where a rhasta ditches his team and plays suicide rhasta and goes 3-16 but wins the game b/c elo is more important. Or a geo or arc warden that never engages in fights, just plays chicken all game and sacrifice his teammates to push. That's just lame imho and abuse of the game.

Like it or not, dota is not a game of singular strategy where huddling is always best. There's a lot of soloing going on that can be more productive depending on picks, skill disparity, and how the game is progressing. If I'm rhasta, and I see the other team has lots of crowd control and mute, I am not running into that headfirst with my goofy teammates. I'm better off harassing lanes alone knocking out towers the way geo does. OTOH if I have good teammates and the other team just has a smurf slark or something, I will try to coordinate pushes with a gem or wards. Because slark is built to roam and pick off loners to bigness.

Return to “Defense of the Ancients”