What is pro anyways?

Talk all you want about Defense of the Ancients here.
nitromon
Treant

What is pro anyways?

Postby nitromon » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:25 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: Just a light hearted discussion. Angry people not welcome.

But what is a pro dota player anyways? What do you consider pro?

High elo?

High KDR?

Thousands of games played?

Perhaps a combination of the above?

Frankly, I think ELO is meaningless so is KDR. Any careful player choosing the right team to play on, avoiding certain players can easily reach high ELO. Any player can protects their KDR or just play certain heroes to get a high KDR. In fact, most players are not team players, a lot of so called high elo/kdr players I know rely heavily on good support players and often even sacrifice their teammates so they can clean up. I've seen too many times a whole team of good elo/kdr players lose 25-29 elo b/c they don't know how to work together and because they picked 4-5 carries without support.

How about players who only play certain heroes well? You cannot imagine how many people I've screwed over in the games b/c I recognize them and immediately know what is their best hero and just quickly steal them and repick. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: It is HILARIOUS watching them crying about someone "stealing" their heroes. Well, how about learning how to play other heroes and play them well?

Anyways, I think a pro must be able to play a "variety" of heroes, not just noob heroes like Slark, Sniper, Void, Geo, Spec, SA, SB, LC etc... You must be able to play a variety of roles, different hero types. I totally admire pro Shreddars, pro Pudges, pro Earth Spirit, etc... Those are the REAL skills.

However, I think what makes a player pro, is this:

"A Pro Dota player is one who can carry the noobs on his team instead of complaining about them."

That in my opinion, is the definition of a pro.

It doesn't mean you must win every game nor does it mean if you do win you are a pro. It also doesn't mean you have to get the most kills either. Some games are won by a pro omni support, pro treant support, or pro rhasta pusher. But inevitably, it is all attitude. 8-) If you can carry a team to win and if you lose you don't make excuses about noob teammates, then and only then are you a pro.

That... makes me not a pro. :(

How about you, are you a pro?

Dhamma
Treant

Re: What is pro anyways?

Postby Dhamma » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:01 am

I thought that the answer would be quite obvious. Use a dictionary.

professional: engaged in a specified activity as one's main paid occupation rather than as a pastime.

If one gets paid for playing dota, than they are 'pro'. Otherwise not. Your skills don't matter in the least, just have to get someone to pay you for it or win tourneys.
These users thanked the author Dhamma for the post (total 2):
Panopticon (Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:33 pm) • nitromon (Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:13 pm)
Vipassana: to see things as they really are. This meditation was rediscovered by Buddha more than 2500 years ago and was taught by him as a universal remedy for universal ills. This technique aims for the total eradication of mental impurities and the resultant highest happiness of full liberation

YamiBakura32
Armored Tree

Postby YamiBakura32 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:23 pm

-
Last edited by YamiBakura32 on Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author YamiBakura32 for the post:
nitromon (Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:01 pm)
Vaylen,Dortfort,King.Kar and Garrosh did nothing wrong Assholes. - divinerape Messiah of ENT
I keep it real cause i'm not afraid to make enemies. YamiBakura32 - Best player on ENT

nitromon
Treant

Postby nitromon » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:09 pm

YamiBakura32 wrote:An skilled player with skills is when he escape 5 enemy heroes from Astral Imprisonment,Eul,Shape Sift,...
So basically i said Pro Dota player is when he can 1v5 and win game, regradless if you are up against noobs or experts and what hero do you play.

YamiBakura32 wrote:You said "pro must be able to play a "variety" of heroes" and "must be able to play a variety of role". No he does not, what are you referring with that phrase is not anymore "pro" but "expert".

I like these 2 points a lot. :D

YamiBakura32 wrote:For an guy who like you gona become addicted to Dota you should know Dota is that kind of game, where somone will cry about something and come next day to play it again unless you know it you are already addicted but it will be hard to take Dota away from you.

Oh it is most definitely addictive, but since the move to entconnect, the player pool has changed dramatically. I almost have to ignore everyone in every game b/c sick and tired of the toxicity and even in the forums, some people here are so hmmm... snowflakily triggered, everything is a fight. It makes me wonder, Edge is gone... Beerlord is gone... why am I still here? I think Jin is the only other player I recognize which I like playing with. He never make excuses whether we win or lose. Sylvanna is also a very quiet player in the game, but I rarely see that player on, that or they're on smurf accounts.

Anyways, one of the reason I'm on the forums more is because I'm not playing the game, so time spent there are here. This is like my last link to the game. But I think I'm leaving it soon (if not already left in spirit :cry: ), It was a good 17 yr run. I left for a few months ago when they did that whole wide screen change. That break taught me 2 things. 1) I miss DOTA 1, Dota 2... yuck. 2) OMG, my life is so much happier and I'm so much more positive not playing this game. The guides I've written are kinda like dumping whatever things left I know of the game and hoping other people will find them useful and have fun! Most importantly, HAVE FUN! :lol:

I mean we say "play" Dota, play implies pleasure and fun. When the fun element is gone, it becomes a chore. ;) And if some people's idea of "fun" is about owning, putting down other people, and fun in other people's misery... that's just... wrong on so many levels.

I hope players out there realize this game does have a real negative psychological effect. I remember I loved playing with Shorteststraw b/c he was one of the most cheerful players. Then later he got bitter and angry, hope he feels better now. I read that whole Vaylen thing in the forum and I know there were some issue there, but I remember fondly playing on his team and he has a positive attitude just having fun. I believe after he came back, he was the dagon Skeleton King? That was freakin' hilarious and awesome at the same time! Even that Saint guy, I use to enjoy playing with him too. He's not the fastest Geo I've seen, but he was the most teamplayer Geo, which is the type of player I love. Then he got into this whole forum mess thing with some other people and then became paranoid and angry all the time. :cry:

I don't want to come off like I'm super cool in the game. I try to be a quiet player as well, but times I get irritated and bitch at my teammates. Hence why by my own definition of pro, I am not. Players like Jin, Edge, Sylvanna, etc.. are my inspirations in sense I want to be able to play like them with a cool attitude and players like Straw, Vaylen, etc.. are my inspirations in sense I want to be able to play like them with a happy and joyful attitude. ;) Every time if I had a game where I was a bit overboard with the bitching, I always remind myself to take some time off from the game and just come back a few days later with the proper attitude.

Anyways, thanks for all your points, they're awesome!

Panopticon
Treant Protector

Postby Panopticon » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:36 pm

In general: Do you get paid for playing dota? If not, you're not a pro player; and contrary to popular belief, stream donations don't count.
PSA: Bigtits = Iambackk

tinker_666 = ta-ta

Return to “Defense of the Ancients”