Becoming pro in dota?

Talk all you want about Defense of the Ancients here.
kartik20
Basic Tree

Becoming pro in dota?

Postby kartik20 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:41 pm

Please help me out here, no matter how many matches I play, I always end up getting harassed and ruining the whole game. Please give me some tips to become at least a good player in DOTA.
Help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

ZimmeR
Treant

Re: Becoming pro in dota?

Postby ZimmeR » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:44 pm

kartik20 wrote:Please help me out here, no matter how many matches I play, I always end up getting harassed and ruining the whole game. Please give me some tips to become at least a good player in DOTA.
Help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Where you got your most problems not getting enough fed? getting ganked to often? no idea of items?

_________________________________________________________________________________

Imo practice is the only way you getting better I don't think watching good players helping you.
just play overall more games and stuff will fix
[spoiler=]Image
Image[/spoiler]

suckmyclick
Armored Tree

Postby suckmyclick » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:15 pm

i would say the best way to become good at dota is to really focus on cs throughout the game. dont ever auto attack creeps unless you are doing it for a reason (pushing towers down, stopping enemy team from getting mini shop on side lanes). you could dl an ai map on getdota.com if you want to practice without ruining games online. (thats what i did) i used to be around a 1300 elo player. i stopped playing online for a couple months. i only played ai map and tried doing 5v1's to really practice my own skill and also 5v5's. if you get great creep stats throughout the game. the rest will come naturally. it takes experience to develop map awareness skills and good ganking times. dont rely on ur team to call mia's. make sure u constantly check other places on the map and see which way heros are running to and where they could be at all times. map awareness is huge also. also dont worry too much about harassing early game. just focus on creep stats and avoid dying.
edit: im a 1700 elo player. i know im not that pro. but imo cs and map awareness are the most important things that will make you a better player

Frank
Forest Walker

Postby Frank » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:43 am

Imo cs is one of the easier skills to improve in dota. If you really want to become better focus on improving your positioning its by far the deciding factor of who wins or loses the lane/ teamfights. For example know how distant you have to be away from lets say veng b4 she can cast her stun or cm her frostbite. Also improving your mechanical knowledge can help your game greatly. Stuff like purging yourself to remove dust as a riki or euling out of silence tread switching knowing how to remove or attract aggro from creeps and tower knowing which skills do pure physical or magic dmg etc... If i were to rank the importance of cs in comparison it would be something like positioning>mech knowledge>map awareness>cs in terms of improving as player.

child

Postby child » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:54 am

Well, the best way to learn map awareness and mechanics and to not ruin games - if possible - is to farm.
http://www.playdota.com/guides/no-more-l2-farm-noob

read this and go practice heroes! Once u learn how to farm effectively and avoid fighting... then its time to learn how to battle.

Or u can skip all of it, find some 2000 elo friends, have them make new accounts to appear new, get carried, and then rage on / brag to the other team about your "pro-ness"

Aghnaar
Treant

Postby Aghnaar » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:38 am

child wrote:Or u can skip all of it, find some 2000 elo friends, have them make new accounts to appear new, get carried, and then rage on / brag to the other team about your "pro-ness"

yy, this is best way to appear pro. go follow child when hes online, he hates so much to get defeated that he is able to carry u even if u go 1-16 crixalis. go pick ur worst hero, rush dagon5 and use it only on creeps ofc, flame all game and watch him tryharding 8-)

ProdigyAeon
Basic Tree

Postby ProdigyAeon » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:35 am

Well, there's farming. Try picking easy heroes too, ones who doesn't really use that much skills(Drow Ranger, Huskar, Anti Mage, etc.). There's also AI Maps, you can practice there.
Also, the key to win in DotA is destroying the enemy team's main building. You can push other lanes while other's are fighting.
I LIKE TRAINS. NO. SERIOUSLY.

nabo.
Donator

Postby nabo. » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:03 pm

Instead of going with the flow and playing w/e whenever, make sure you have an objective according to your "supposed" role or hero.

-There are two ways of farming: through kills or cs.

-Each hero is most effective at certain phases of the game: lane, early, mid, late

-Depending on your playstyle, item, and hero choice, you can be: support, carry, tank, hybrid(semi) to ganker, pusher, hard carry, initiator, bait, etc

-Most people know "what" is dota, but they do not know "how" they should play dota.

Always have an objective: knowing when to gank, when to farm, when to push towers, when to group up, when to communicate, etc etc is essential to be in sync, teamwork better, and to be strategic.

An action without any purpose is void.
Clan High@useast

• Check the wiki for ENT rules and general information.
  • Talk to mods on ENT chat.
  • Host games through our bots, Manage your stats, Secure your account(s), and check your ban status on ENT LINK.

the_drow
Forest Walker

Postby the_drow » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:52 pm

Since you are new I would recommend playing apem and just playing 3 heros for a while.

one tank that will be hard to gank. one late game carry just to try farming and csing to get better at it and one support/ganker. get comfortable with ganking because once you are you will learn when you will be ganked and how they will do it. Hence you will be a better player because you can already see whats coming with the heros they pick.

rylai
Aura Tree

Postby rylai » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:49 pm

watch livestreams dota pro players, even dota 2 regardless even though it is using a different engine, you can inherit the game sense into dota 1.

recommend watching, arteezy, dendi, wagamama, synderen and perhaps tournaments (twitch.tv/hitbox.tv)
re-watch your previous games by saving them as a replay - review them what you went wrong and what should been the alternative choice

other if nothing else was mentioned earlier... all i can say is

keep playing, but while you keep playing actually learn the game (it would make u better quicker)

NutzSucksHard
Plague Treant

Postby NutzSucksHard » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:53 pm

Have fun while playing. If you rage out and lose yourself you're not going to learn. It's like in school, when upset, you won't learn shit.

Summary :

Step one : Get better overall.

Step Two : Keep you team together, no matter what happen.

Step three : Train 1v1 mid. This person need to know his jobs, harrassing you. NONE STOP. Stay alive for 10 minute. At the end, you need minimum same level as opponent and 80% of is last hit. Wich mean if he have 50 you need 40 CS. If failed. Restart and do it again.

Step four : Find good players, not friend you having fun with, good players.

Step five : Play with them as much you can. Don't blame other also, try to find out what is wrong in what you're doing, not what others do.

Step six : Hardest ** Learn to draft, counter pick, learn about role of hero, what they can be etc. Dota = chess. First move can be your last. Draft is as much important as your skill in game / overall team play. Outpicked you won't do Sh***

Step Seven : SCRIM with these players against an other team.

Step Eight : SCRIM SCRIM SCRIM..

Step Nine : Get better again.

Step ten : Keep having fun. Enjoy.

PS : I thought for a long time I knew how to dota... You'll find out you didn't really knew how to, like me at a moment.

Regards,

Nutz

Hatedmaru

Postby Hatedmaru » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:22 pm

Well i wouldn't consider myself godlike near some of the people here look like while playing, but if you ever need and want to, i can play with you and lane as well with you so that you can practice and ask whatever you like, and i'll try to help in what i can. Ain't the best in last hitting/denying but can get my game around and can pretty much go with most of the heroes (specially invoker =p)

So if you ever need just pm here or say something (Main account is either Hyorinmaru.@europe or SabakuNoGaara. @europe also; Can make another acc to play with you at us east or west if thats ur server ^^)

But bottom line is like most people said: you can't lose your cool at any time ... The moment you start getting mad or let other people interfere with ur mood, its bad, you will start making bad movements/decisions throughout the game and that will affect you throughout the rest of the game :)

And even though theres people who will get affected when you fail (even myself sometimes tend to react on it =P), ask people while ingame, not everyone is a douchebag and they can help you by telling you stuff; It's better to ask for help before the shit goes on ^^

Overall, try to read some guides, like people said here; Play a LOT and never give up ... One of the main principles i follow, and i say several times is: The game ain't over until the tree/throne is down... Yes you might be losing hard, enemies overfed, ur team is bad etc etc ... But one good defense or one good gank can turn one game around and give u enough time to pullback the win ... I've seen, and been, in games where the loss was clear, and out of nowhere, you happen to get the hero from the enemy team that was carrying them around or simply they push like the win is guaranteed, and fail the push, losing the advantage they had at that point... And usually once that happens, its raping noobfest time =P

If you ever feel like asking stuff, and if i can help, feel free to =)

ren
Armored Tree

Postby ren » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:29 pm

play like me.

FranklinClinton
Basic Tree

Postby FranklinClinton » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:23 am

Most important thing to do(imo) is know your role. Know that if you're a carry you have to be somewhat selfish, when you're a support you're selfless (getting aggro off carries, sacrificing yourself to save a carry) and as a tank you're trying to protect the weaker the best you can. Working as a team is what seperates the good from bad

rzr.Armada
Aura Tree

Postby rzr.Armada » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:24 am

PRO TIP FOR NOOBS: STOP PICKING SQUISHY CARRIES/CALLING MID/THEN FEEDING. PICK A FUCKING STUNNER SUPPORT AND YOU AUTOMATICALLY BECOME 1000% MORE USEFUL TO THE TEAM
These users thanked the author rzr.Armada for the post:
buldozer (Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:48 pm)

Return to “Defense of the Ancients”