Remove ELO.

Talk all you want about Defense of the Ancients here.
fck_gooks
Resource Storage

Re: Remove ELO.

Postby fck_gooks » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:45 pm

Autobalace was around when there was a high enough player base. At this time dota 1 is dying out, if not dead already.

Elo is sort of useless now too. Most of the high elo players play together, but usually only one of them is using their high elo accout at a time. They make new accounts whenever someone else in the group is using their high elo account. This is called "boosting". I think FlowerSnow got his account wiped for something similar.

Nothing can be done about it, except to except it and play for fun, or move on to dota 2, just as most players have.

edited for spelling

matdas
ENT Staff

Postby matdas » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:26 am

fck_gooks wrote:Autobalace was around when there was a high enough player base. At this time dota 1 is dying out, if not dead already.

Elo is sort of useless now too. Most of the high elo players play together, but usually only one of them is using their high elo accout at a time. They make new accounts whenever someone else in the group is using their high elo account. This is called "boosting". I think FlowerSnow got his account wiped for something similar.

Nothing can be done about it, except to except it and play for fun, or move on to dota 2, just as most players have.

edited for spelling

Flowersnow got stats wiped because his boosting partner was throwing games on purpose and was benefiting from this fact.

davidhasselhoff
Aura Tree

Postby davidhasselhoff » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:14 am

ELO rewards team stacking and account manipulating. It's a bad system that doesn't reward being a good player, it in fact rewards ruining games by stacking, rigging, etc. It has nothing to do with anything other than wins and losses. It does not judge an individuals skills at all.

supersexyy
Donator

Postby supersexyy » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:52 am

It actually doesn't reward stacking if everyone was on their mains. It does however reward playing with smurfs.

fck_gooks
Resource Storage

Postby fck_gooks » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:37 am

matdas wrote:Flowersnow got stats wiped because his boosting partner was throwing games on purpose and was benefiting from this fact.

Yes, the other player was throwing games. But from what I remember, it seemed that flowers never asked him to throw games on that account to boost him, the kid was just being an idiot. Flowers said that his skills were deteriorating from the throwing. Also, i think that the elo difference between his troll account and his highest elo account was less than 1k.

My point is simple. The elo difference between that case, is less than the kids who are in the top 10 playing together, always boosting one another if one of them is on their 'main' account. Sure they are not throwing, but the elo difference is larger and the end result is the same. They are still rigging the system for elo, more intentionaly i would say.

davidhasselhoff wrote:It has nothing to do with anything other than wins and losses. It does not judge an individuals skills at all.

This is a limitation of wc3 engine. It is the best thing they can do, because it takes alot more skill to actually win a game especially with all noobs on your team, than to just focus on your own sc/kd (like on void).
Think of it like a difficulty level
all good teammates vs bad team = very easy
good team vs good team = medium
bad team vs good team = very hard
It is possible to win if you are the only good player, but it raises the difficulty level of that game. But the hero you have plays a large part in this. Getting arc or meepo would be best, if you intend to carry a bunch of noobs.

Thats why dota 1 is dead, and most of the good players have moved on to dota 2. Because the matchup system is much better, and you get to play with more balanced teams.

Return to “Defense of the Ancients”