Remove ELO.

Talk all you want about Defense of the Ancients here.
davidhasselhoff
Aura Tree

Remove ELO.

Postby davidhasselhoff » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:52 am

Right now ELO is ruining Dota. I'm seeing more and more players stacking other teams with their friends to ensure the win. This takes away the fun nature of the game. I don't know how many times I have been absolutely rocking, and then my team will just for no reason throw the game. They will make up an excuse that they are upset about something, and then they will feed intentionally until the other team wins. This seems to happen more and more often. This is of course because ELO is based on wins and losses only. You remove it and then the game becomes more about stats. Could this type of behavior still occur? Yes but I don't think it would be as bad. It's gotten ridiculous.

EdgeOfChaos

Re: Remove ELO.

Postby EdgeOfChaos » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:51 pm

ELO is the best current way to gauge player skill. Do you have an alternative system to propose? Because ENT surely will not just remove all DotA rankings. ELO has a built-in way to balance out stacking: if you stack you gain less and lose more. You could win 5 stacked games and then lose 1, and your net ELO gain is nothing.

Gamethrowers and feeders can be banned for a good amount of time: https://entgaming.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=8

Frank
Forest Walker

Postby Frank » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:54 am

EdgeOfChaos wrote:ELO is the best current way to gauge player skill. Do you have an alternative system to propose? Because ENT surely will not just remove all DotA rankings. ELO has a built-in way to balance out stacking: if you stack you gain less and lose more. You could win 5 stacked games and then lose 1, and your net ELO gain is nothing.

Gamethrowers and feeders can be banned for a good amount of time: https://entgaming.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=8

Wrong. When compared to other rating systems such as the TSR rating from the old dota cash or Score rating from dota Void, Elo comes last in regards to gaging a player's individual skill. Elo is meant for 1v1 scenarios but is a way nonetheless to offer a rough estimate of what to expect from a player. However the margins of error are large.

ForsakeMe
Treant

Postby ForsakeMe » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:51 am

that's why we need MMR system ;)

ArkaTekK
Donator

Postby ArkaTekK » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:49 pm

Elo should be removed, not only for Dota but ID also =). maybe even every map tbh lol
I Love the World, & everyone in it !
Peace Love Unity Respect <3
http://www.Facebook.com/ArkaTekK

KidTwist
Forest Walker

Postby KidTwist » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:06 am

Or maybe you guys should stop crying and play the game? That sounds like a fantastic idea!
What really ruins games is when people complain constantly about stupid things. Dont know why this topic is not closed, why would ENT ever remove ELO? It is the only way to show you the progress you have made. ELO is something to show for all the time you have played and if you lose games than too bad, suck it up and try again.

EdgeOfChaos

Postby EdgeOfChaos » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:39 pm

Frank wrote:
EdgeOfChaos wrote:ELO is the best current way to gauge player skill. Do you have an alternative system to propose? Because ENT surely will not just remove all DotA rankings. ELO has a built-in way to balance out stacking: if you stack you gain less and lose more. You could win 5 stacked games and then lose 1, and your net ELO gain is nothing.

Wrong. When compared to other rating systems such as the TSR rating from the old dota cash or Score rating from dota Void, Elo comes last in regards to gaging a player's individual skill. Elo is meant for 1v1 scenarios but is a way nonetheless to offer a rough estimate of what to expect from a player. However the margins of error are large.

Any proof? I would say Void's system is worse at gauging individual skill even if it worked as intended, as KD does not equal skill.

Dust
Armored Tree

Postby Dust » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:38 pm

The best way to judge someone's skill at the game is to actually play with or against them; or watch them play. The various skills that Dota requires cannot be effectively made into numbers. However, the results of a good application of these skills (getting a kill, winning a game, etc) can be made into numbers (ELO, KDA).

In other words, you can't quantify map awareness, but if good map awareness allows you to dodge a gank or get a kill, then you can quantify that into a better KDR. Judging someone's skill based on these numbers is tricky, because they can be manipulated.

NutzSucksHard
Plague Treant

Postby NutzSucksHard » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:10 am

The problem is that inside Wc3 there's no GoldPerMinute and ExpPerMinute system.

TSR should = APM/GPM/EXPM/KDA/Win/Lose/team%ofchancetowin (aka everyone tsr together).

Sadly, this would never happen I guess.

buldozer
Armored Tree

Postby buldozer » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:27 pm

i think autobalance games are solution. i mean apem us/ca ab, arem us/ca ab , apem euro ab , if u are solo player, and keep to stay others games if u are playing with friends. idk is it possible. we need to ask moderators.

this would lead to improve games and u not play games for 5 elo than 15-15 games :D

have fun !!!
FAIR PLAY AND RESPECT!!! 8-)

EdgeOfChaos

Postby EdgeOfChaos » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:51 pm

buldozer wrote:i think autobalance games are solution. i mean apem us/ca ab, arem us/ca ab , apem euro ab , if u are solo player, and keep to stay others games if u are playing with friends. idk is it possible. we need to ask moderators.

this would lead to improve games and u not play games for 5 elo than 15-15 games :D

have fun !!!

Autobalance games have been tried and are consistently unpopular (like 1 game played per month). And we can't have only autobalance games, because then you can't play with friends.

buldozer
Armored Tree

Postby buldozer » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:30 pm

i say keep other games like apem euro apem us/ca aprem us/ca ,but if autobalance is not popular ok :( . i just sugested.

maybe now ppl will play it who know :D .
FAIR PLAY AND RESPECT!!! 8-)

EdgeOfChaos

Postby EdgeOfChaos » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:15 am

It's not a bad idea, but it's been tried before and never succeeded. That was a while ago though, if you wanted to you could suggest it here: https://entgaming.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=9

memaru
Armored Tree

Postby memaru » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:01 pm

I have been suggesting autobalance for such a long time. I remember games were actually fun and challenging.

nabo.
Donator

Postby nabo. » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:38 pm

Autobal is no longer demanded by the community. Games were inactive, so all autobal bots were removed.
Clan High@useast

• Check the wiki for ENT rules and general information.
  • Talk to mods on ENT chat.
  • Host games through our bots, Manage your stats, Secure your account(s), and check your ban status on ENT LINK.

Return to “Defense of the Ancients”