is techies a real hero?

Talk all you want about Defense of the Ancients here.
tinkertonker
Forest Walker

is techies a real hero?

Postby tinkertonker » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:32 pm

Lately this has been coming up a lot in games recently where players are telling me techies are useless and to pick a real hero. Personally I think techies are in the top 5 heroes in dota when played correctly. If someone gets a gem, you can use force staff. There are also plenty of fog spots you can bomb that are amazing at killing heroes. Once you have scepter you can battle bomb and stun. When I compare techies to say sand king I would say techies is a much better hero. Remotes do more damage overall and have a much lower cool down. Stun wards have an amazing stun radius, duration and cool down. Plus techies has amazing synergies with other heroes.

BiLyA
Treant

Re: is techies a real hero?

Postby BiLyA » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:23 am

And techies is not a real hero, he's pure shit and can only delay the game till opponent carries are so farmed that they can just walk in and kill your fountain. That's if they are not retarded enough to try and push early which is clear 322. Everytime u face a techies just go midas and afk farm till u 6 slotted, easiest win of your life
https://youtu.be/jYFefppqEtE Bravely bold Sir Robin rode forth from Camelot 8-)

child
Plague Treant

Postby child » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:33 am

BiLyA wrote:Idk how u got here but wanna hear a joke? NA doto 2 thinking they play real dota 2 and will get sonething competitive lulz.

And techies is not a real hero, he's pure shit and can only delay the game till opponent carries are so farmed that they can just walk in and kill your fountain. That's if they are not retarded enough to try and push early which is clear 322. Everytime u face a techies just go midas and afk farm till u 6 slotted, easiest win of your life

says techie pikcer

No he is an unreal hero to answer the question. But more seriously techies is extremely overpowered (if played well) versus teams with no heroes capable of attacking mines from distance like sniper or lina or many others. However, if they have some long range heroes and other team is smart he's pretty much crap.

noxxish
Forest Walker

Postby noxxish » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:45 am

I think techies is A GREAT HERO, but exactly as stated "if played correctly." In most pubs, i would prefer a fellow teammate to repick or not pick techies, often is the case where they fail. The best techies players do counters well, if they get wards you get wards, they get gem u get staff, ETC.
"If two wrongs don't make a right, try three." Laurence J. Peter

tinkertonker
Forest Walker

Postby tinkertonker » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:55 am

you can force staff or just throw bombs out in the middle of a group of heroes and watch their health be cut in half. As long you have scepter you can out range a sniper in attack range.

tinkertonker
Forest Walker

Postby tinkertonker » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:22 am

oh btw, when is techies getting the mine field sign skill? This skill makes his mines immune to true sight. It is in Dota 2.

BiLyA
Treant

Postby BiLyA » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:34 am

tinkertonker wrote:oh btw, when is techies getting the mine field sign skill? This skill makes his mines immune to true sight. It is in Dota 2.

ya but in dota 2 theres this update too - The land mines have a small collision size and are not phased, so they cannot be stacked on top of each other.
Huge nerf if u want my opinion, thats why techies is never picked anymore, despite the field sign skill

Edmontonian
Resource Storage

Postby Edmontonian » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:02 pm

I agree, techies is pretty good early game but i also agree that late game, this hero is so useless. It practically has zero synergy late game, since you first need survivability to have synergy.

OP, since you make reference to Dota 2, i will say that i have 300+ hours logged, i have never once saw tech picked, like ever. The stacking of the mines was powerful, but without it, useless.. Your quarry, mainly being low hp heroes, are not going to continue to run into mines >.> unless your mining their shop and even then, you risk just being killed outright and when i say risk, that risk is kinda more of an inevitability, since ANY HERO who crosses your path will own you.

I repeat, ANY HERO that crosses your path will own you. This fact alone is why he is not considered a real hero.

tinkertonker
Forest Walker

Postby tinkertonker » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:15 pm

I disagree, in the end game techies becomes one of the most powerful heroes. This is for several reasons, no other hero other then meepo can match techies ability to farm. Generally I will have anywhere between 4.5 k to 5.0 k health during end game. I have unlimited mana and can disable a hero easily between 6 to 14 seconds. The massive amount of aoe damage you can do in team fights is unreal. You can do at least 2000 damage in 10 seconds. Stacking mines is alright but not really needed. There are really only a few counters that will present issues. Huskar and Pudge I find to be the biggest problems.

rewarding
Aura Tree

Postby rewarding » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:18 pm

See, if you have a team that complements Techies' skill set, then it can be very powerful.

This is a quick example of how I could draft a team with techies

P1: Ember Spirit (trilane) Or a Naga Siren (sleep + mines or stasis)
P2: Magnus (mid)
P3: Techies (solo offlane)
P4: Vengeful Spirit (trilane)
P5: Winter Wyvern (trilane)

Any hero that you can forcibly bring an enemy hero into a stack of mines is very useful. So other heroes would be like Pudge, or you can swap out the Winter Wyvern for an Earth Spirit. Though I think trying to execute this with Pudge or Earth Spirit requires a very high skill level which will not work 100% of the time. So I think having a Vengeful Spirit paired with a Techies is mandatory because the execution rate can be 90% with swap. So that being said, having a Techies on your team doesn't make the choices for your draft very flexible.
A quick note: a Magnus that 5 man RPS the other team and your techies having a dagger with lvl 4 suicide early is priceless.

I think one of the more useful reasons for techies is that if your techies is able to mine spots off for area denial, you can essentially control space whether it's ranging from actual physical space or more of a psychological space. The fact that the enemy team knows where the mine locations are is not so much a detriment as it is an actual advantage. They won't go into that area. Therefore, you get a pretty good idea where the enemy team is most of the time. So the control comes to your team whether you want to avoid them or engage them when the time comes.

And Techies with aghs remote mines, is one of THE most broken pushing abilities in Dota 2. The worst way to play techies is by turtling. Those games, you will most likely lose.

There is a player named Chess who plays Techies frequently, and he has a strat where he slow pushes mid with stacks of mines. So as our team is pushing, he stacks some mines that we can fall back on.

All in all, techies is a very situational pick that demands team synergy and cohesion.

rewarding
Aura Tree

Postby rewarding » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:20 pm

And oh man I forgot Dark Seer vacuum.
Teemsuk gg

BiLyA
Treant

Postby BiLyA » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:30 pm

None of the hero combinations u mentioned will work vs good players with the exception of magnus, but i havent seen a good magnus here (well, other than me, kappa). And when i say a good magnus, i mean dagger rush, then force staff and lothars, and in general items that will give u the positioning and the mobility u need to hit a good RP, instead of shitty mom battlefury and crits.

Gayest shit u will ever find tho is techies and tusk suicide lane. They just snowball on the enemy carry and KABOOM everytime suicide is not on cd. It was the most cancerous thing on dota 2, causing ragequits even on high skilled ranked games (or pro games). Thank god techies got nerfed so no-more-of-this-shit.

rewarding
Aura Tree

Postby rewarding » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:37 pm

lol, I die a little when people get bfury on mag; people think too one dimensionally: we need MOAR dmg, dmg wins games
The amount of mobility gained with dagger & forcestaff + skewer is insane, pretty much get out of base in less than 2 secs lol

But yeah, I see where you're coming from; my point was that if you have heroes which synergize with Tech, that are able to force enemy heroes into mines or give Tech the time to set up, it makes a Tech pick viable. Though, this is more theoretical since I've never personally experienced 8k mmr games with a Tech strat. It's something I'd really like to see one day.

A lineup like that doe, it's a pub stomp on ent

And that tech + tusk offlane lololololol

crestfall
Basic Tree

Postby crestfall » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:45 am

You forgot tiny clock drow ranger and tinker (rearm + forcestaff?). Axe can also pull with a ghost staff (and forcestaff would be good here too). Batrider is the #1 (or #2 if you think magnus is #1) synergy with techies I guess. Dagger + forcestaff is pretty standard for batrider.

Also, who gets forcestaff and lothars on magnus? You already have blink and skewer for initiating, how will lothars help you get a 5 man rp?

tyler11
Treant

Postby tyler11 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:15 am

If you are a good player techies is super OP. but u gotta really know the hero

Return to “Defense of the Ancients”