Absolutely loving the new DotA map.

Talk all you want about Defense of the Ancients here.
Chrono[diox]
Armored Tree

Absolutely loving the new DotA map.

Postby Chrono[diox] » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:40 am

The new map has a ton of quality of life changes. Stacking dust of appearance, being able to separate stacks of tp scrolls, visual timers on wards, updated animations, and the new items and updated spells to heroes are all much welcome upgrades. I would like to further thank the ENT administration for allowing the revert to AP, Easy mode always did ruin DotA in my opinion. I just wanted to say thanks and state that I know my clan and TONS of other people LOVE to the new changes. I know some people are trying to raise an uproar in the forums and I am assuming only the ones who don't like the change will take the time to make a post, which is why I am making one myself. Thanks again!!
These users thanked the author Chrono[diox] for the post (total 2):
gankbank (Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:45 pm) • MageOfTime (Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:06 am)

Slomosapien
Treant

Re: Absolutely loving the new DotA map.

Postby Slomosapien » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:06 am

Chrono[diox] wrote:The new map has a ton of quality of life changes. Stacking dust of appearance, being able to separate stacks of tp scrolls, visual timers on wards, updated animations, and the new items and updated spells to heroes are all much welcome upgrades. I would like to further thank the ENT administration for allowing the revert to AP, Easy mode always did ruin DotA in my opinion. I just wanted to say thanks and state that I know my clan and TONS of other people LOVE to the new changes. I know some people are trying to raise an uproar in the forums and I am assuming only the ones who don't like the change will take the time to make a post, which is why I am making one myself. Thanks again!!

I agree that the new map is much better in almost every regard. Unfortunately, some people are having a near-autistic level of resistance to change and the map is being reverted. The squeaky wheel gets the grease though, right?
These users thanked the author Slomosapien for the post:
gankbank (Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:03 pm)

bansheex
Forest Walker

Postby bansheex » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:17 am

It's better for competitive play where you know your teammates, but it's terrible for pub play. The slower gold gain makes it way harder for nabs to remain useful after failing early. Nabs also resist forfeiting, so have fun sitting through an unwinnable game an extra 15 minutes because of this mechanic.

-The minor updates to item stacks aren't a big deal.
-Dota needs less items, not more, because it steepens an already steep learning curve and nabs building wrong is a huge problem. Hood of defiance is turrible because str/hp absorbs both dmg types whereas resist only reduces magic. Vanguard is only good on certain heroes since it adds no stats or abilities and is nerfed on range, so it gets overbought by nabs and tends to ruin games when they rush it.
-the new map doesn't apply a much needed nerf to geo who has been getting abused by smurfs for some time now. "Hi, i'm 5 heroes in 1 with epic tp lane harass and poof macros that needs 4 true counters ending early or you're screwed."

Escanor
Basic Tree

Postby Escanor » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:57 pm

Ok I'm not sure why you have started a second thread since it is the same discussion. You could have only posted on the ongoing thread.

After a quick survey through games/forums over the last days, it seems that the main point of everyone is that they are here to play DotA 1 as they have always do. I do not think that people are ''near-autistic'' because they are actually enjoying playing a game but suddenly someone somewhere for whoever knows what reason has decided that their cool game needed to be completely remodeled. Because we have to agree on one point, it is not some minors changes that have been implemented. Tons of new items (that in my opinion make no sense) and hero changes, no possibility of EM mode (which I don't get why..), and for those who say '' thank you to revert to AP mode'' AP mode has always been here, it is just that the demand was for EM so why forcing it to be non EM... and honestly I truly find that the new graphics are HORRIBLE!

I'm still wondering if there was really a demand or a need for a new version.

If some players were tired to play good old DotA, they only had to make the switch to any of the numerous copy of this great games that have appeared on the market last few years:
DotA 2
Heroes of the storm
League of Legend

If you have people that wish to express their opinions, tell them to come and say it!
This poll has been started in order to truly scan the player's opinion so if those in favor of the new map are to lazy to come and vote for it or defend it in any way (with respectful post and arguments), so to bad for them. It is like for any election, if you do not go vote, you do not have the right to complain afterward.

I don't know if ENT have any record of number of game started per day, but I would be curious to know if they have noticed a downstream trend.
First day of new map: god never heard so much complain in-game when people realised all the changes, but I was like ''Ok I will give it a try''
I logged on yesterday to play some games (yea even if it was this version -_-) and wow it took more than 15 minutes to fill!! Not because people joined and ran away in fear of me :) but because no one was joining anymore. I truly think that DotA 1 is going to die slowly and it really saddens me.

So all, enjoy great gaming.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Lion's Sin of Pride, Lord Escanor of the Seven Deadly Sins
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

tyler11
Treant

Postby tyler11 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:25 pm

Chrono[diox] wrote:The new map has a ton of quality of life changes. Stacking dust of appearance, being able to separate stacks of tp scrolls, visual timers on wards, updated animations, and the new items and updated spells to heroes are all much welcome upgrades. I would like to further thank the ENT administration for allowing the revert to AP, Easy mode always did ruin DotA in my opinion. I just wanted to say thanks and state that I know my clan and TONS of other people LOVE to the new changes. I know some people are trying to raise an uproar in the forums and I am assuming only the ones who don't like the change will take the time to make a post, which is why I am making one myself. Thanks again!!

The new map is absolutely terrible, it causes players who aren't good to fall way behind even faster with out APEM and it ruins the entire game, it's boring as hell and super slow paced, and the games take like 2-3 times as long. Not all of us have time for an 80 minute game every single time. Also the old map has the option of APEM or regular AP, so your argument is invalid. All the new changes are so minor and barely make a difference, aside from the fact they removed EM and made the game boring and laggy

Slomosapien
Treant

Postby Slomosapien » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:09 pm

Escanor wrote:If you have people that wish to express their opinions, tell them to come and say it!
This poll has been started in order to truly scan the player's opinion so if those in favor of the new map are to lazy to come and vote for it or defend it in any way (with respectful post and arguments), so to bad for them. It is like for any election, if you do not go vote, you do not have the right to complain afterward.

I don't know if ENT have any record of number of game started per day, but I would be curious to know if they have noticed a downstream trend.
First day of new map: god never heard so much complain in-game when people realised all the changes, but I was like ''Ok I will give it a try''
I logged on yesterday to play some games (yea even if it was this version -_-) and wow it took more than 15 minutes to fill!! Not because people joined and ran away in fear of me :) but because no one was joining anymore. I truly think that DotA 1 is going to die slowly and it really saddens me.

So all, enjoy great gaming.

The poll ran for less than a week. There's no way that 60 votes is a fair sample of the player pool. The only people who came out to the site were the ones who came to complain. If you're enjoying the game, why bother? You just continue playing as lots of people have.

I've seen zero bugs, zero latency issues and a more balanced game overall. There are more diverse builds and roles for most heros and the visual improvements are more intuitive (ward timers, spell animations etc)

Rooms are not taking any more time to fill than they did last week. One game taking some time to fill occasionally is not out of the ordinary.

People always resist change, but that doesn't mean it's not for the better.

Chrono[diox]
Armored Tree

Postby Chrono[diox] » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:06 pm

Games are certainly not filling any slower. Played plenty of games where we had to rejoin to get 2-3 friends in because they would fill so fast. People love complaining about longer games but on average my games are still running around 45 minutes. Occasionally they do run longer but I have not seen a valid basis for noobs are falling more behind then normal. The only difference is carries do not get super overpowered just from income gold, but actually have to FARM and avoid DIEING which is the way it should BE. The game should be not be decided by if you didn't end in 45 minutes, whoever has more carries wins. Noobs are noobs, and they cause you to lose sometimes regardless of em or non em it really doesn't matter. Saying they fall way behind unlike normal is really an inconsistent complaint, and it directly disputes your claim to having such longer games. If they fall behind quicker, then the game would end quicker. Its easy to be mad because the game is more difficult and has a higher skill ceiling when farming is a vital tool in DotA, but honestly that's how the game is designed to be played. It gives farming heroes like Alchemist the strength they deserve as well, so if your struggling to farm I suggest trying one of those heroes out.

tyler11
Treant

Postby tyler11 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:05 am

Oh well everyone on my friends list who were great players have switched to playing void and BK because it has the old map. and the majority of people i talk to in the lobby agree the new one is more boring and slow, and it DEFINITELY takes way to long per game

5% of people like the new map.
95% hate it.

100% of people like the old map

Case closed.. go to dota 2 if you want the new versions
These users thanked the author tyler11 for the post:
YakOoM (Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:34 am)

MageOfTime
Forest Walker

Postby MageOfTime » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:07 am

old map for noobs imho noobs eassy mode = noob

Slomosapien
Treant

Postby Slomosapien » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:38 am

tyler11 wrote:5% of people like the new map.
95% hate it.

Of the people who even knew there was a vote happening. Most people had no idea. There are WAY more than 60 players.
I ask people in every game I play, and more than 50% like the new version. Getting them to post on forums is another story..

paradise-uswest
Basic Tree

Postby paradise-uswest » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:48 am

I didn't even know a vote had taken place, I enjoy the new map the older one was too easy.

Hatedmaru

Postby Hatedmaru » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:12 am

It will always be the same tho: The ones who actually enjoy/play the new map (may it be DotA, etc), won't log on forum, cuz they are fine with it; Only the ones who are against it, would log ASAP, and complain about it.

Personally i like changes, and this new version from dracol1ch does bring a lot of balance and fun to this old map abandoned by icefrog (New items, heroes/skills balanced, new aghanims effects, etc); After reading the entire discussion (polls, posts, and inbetween the QQ), the only real complain is the non -em mode (There's not so many bugs, disconnects,etc as some mentioned): This was, is and will always be the main prob with changing the dota map: Unless there's the "shit" -em, the dota community wont walk forward, and will keep rejecting everytime ENT updates the map (or threat to move towards BK, Void, OHS, or whoever hosts -em version).

So the only solution to this? Quite obvious: Either all hosting communities move with the new map, forcing people to adapt to it, or any future attempts will lead to where we are again (New map updated -> the day after, lots of ppl log in, complain and threat they are gonna quit, gonna move elsewhere, etc -> map gets reverted, and people go quiet again, until the next time the map is updated/changed, and the cycle begins once again).

PS: For those who come complain after my post that the ones who are tired and want to play new stuff, should move to DotA2, just remember that even DotA 6.83 is based on DotA2 updates (so if you really want to go back to a DotA1 balanced map, you'd have to go back to older versions), therefore your argument is invalid.
Last edited by Hatedmaru on Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chrono[diox]
Armored Tree

Postby Chrono[diox] » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:43 am

Thank you Hyo you worded what I was trying to say much better then I could have. Couldn't agree more.

Suck_It69
Aura Tree

Postby Suck_It69 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:06 am

@hyo

You said not many bugs?

IMO so many spells are lacking of visual effects like invos meteor,leshracs ult..

Also arem is filling up slowly nowadays, atm there is 15 min wait lobby and 5 slots free..

I'd love the new map if it was EM mode, easy fast game, if i want a long game and cs every hit i'd go non EM mode -_-
These users thanked the author Suck_It69 for the post:
YakOoM (Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:36 am)

Xanatos-iX
Resource Storage

Postby Xanatos-iX » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:23 am

Reasons for liking/disliking the map is kind of moot. It's a game, you either like it or you don't.

If it's possible to host both maps for a short period of time, people "vote" by which version of the game they join. This eliminates any possible reasons people could give as to which is "better" (very subjective) and we'll just see version people like more.

The game version that gets the most people playing wins. Simple, right?

Return to “Defense of the Ancients”