Automatically Auto Balanced Games

Talk all you want about Defense of the Ancients here.
Bobchi
Aura Tree

Automatically Auto Balanced Games

Postby Bobchi » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:02 am

There is a serious aspect looming amongst WC3 DOTA.. and that is that I think that ENT should begin hosting automatically autobalanced games. This would increase the fun and competiveness, and at the same time speeding up games because nearly every lobby gets held up by people checking the scores in lobby and leaving after they see they are on the losing team. What do you guys think? Do you guys think automatically balanced games is a good idea?

pinheadlarry
Forest Walker

Re: Automatically Auto Balanced Games

Postby pinheadlarry » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:04 am

If the option is ONLY autobalanced or unbalanced, I'd stick with with unbalanced because I occasionally LAN with a friend and try to be on the same team. If we got autobalanced, we'd basically be put into an unintentional mh/multi-box situation since his screen is right next to mine lol.

However,I have attempted to use the !votebalance command (already implemented) but it has always failed. I think the number of votes required to initiate autobalance should be reduced to 4 or 5 to prevent total stacks since only one team would be required to have a consensus to initiate it.

With that said, I remember a few years ago that ent tried to force autobalance-only games (maybe I am thinking of dotacash), however it failed miserably and there was huge outcry.

Sylvanas
Treant Protector

Postby Sylvanas » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:07 am

I'm also pretty sure that's been tried. However what I remember is both options being available and no one joining the autobalanced ones. I'm afraid anything besides stacked apem and arem games is too much for anyone to handle.
These users thanked the author Sylvanas for the post:
FearTheMullet (Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:12 pm)

EdgeOfChaos

Postby EdgeOfChaos » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:51 pm

It has been tried and failed multiple times. People like their stacks too much. All you can do is learn to fight the stack.

My strategy is to make a smurf and pick Geomancer when I see people stacking. Geo always wins, and I can end up taking a good 25 ELO from them which is like ~5 games for a stacker. If more people do this, we could actually discourage it or at least bring stackers' elo down.

Slomosapien
Treant

Postby Slomosapien » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:28 am

I would be in favor of autobalanced games... as well as removing the option of resetting stats for the same reasons.

FearTheMullet
Aura Tree

Postby FearTheMullet » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:15 pm

Personally, I think the opposite of the current lobby would be nice. Start as auto balance with the option of voting out of it. It seems that the average game is stacked to under 8 elo for a win with 1 out of 5 games being about even.

If this is not looked at as favorable, at least lower the # for auto balancing to a single team as proposed by pinheadlarry.

Sylvanas
Treant Protector

Postby Sylvanas » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:42 am

Slomosapien wrote:I would be in favor of autobalanced games... as well as removing the option of resetting stats for the same reasons.

If people couldn't reset their stats, they'd just make smurfs even more than they already do. There's no reason to prevent people from resetting their stats for its intended purpose, which is... starting over hoping they improved and will have better looking stats this time, I guess? Who cares.

Bobchi
Aura Tree

Postby Bobchi » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:34 pm

I just played another game, was stacked tried to !voteautobalance and it didn't work. Ive actually never seen it work to this date, never seen it happen. and played a unenjoyable stacked game that was virtually impossible to avoid. No other MMOBA game has only non autobalanced games its ridiculous if you think about it. this community is quite corrupt with no autobalancing to be honest.

suckmyclick
Armored Tree

Postby suckmyclick » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:19 am

or maybe a cool idea would be hiding everybody's names and stats. so when u join it game itll look like, for example, "player 1" "player 2" "player 3".
and then once the game starts, the names and stats will be available to everyone again. of course we cant replace all ent dota bots with this type of censorship, but maybe having one apem bot host games like this and see what kind of attention it gets

BiLyA
Treant

Postby BiLyA » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:31 am

Bobchi wrote:No other MMOBA game has only non autobalanced games its ridiculous if you think about it. .

Thats because in the other MMOBA games you have the choice to join a game with a party of your friends and play in the same team no matter what. Warcraft 3 doesnt give you that choice. I play wc3 because I have fun with my friends, not to win more elo or something, hell I don't even keep a main account. So your logic is off.
https://youtu.be/jYFefppqEtE Bravely bold Sir Robin rode forth from Camelot 8-)

Goodenuff
Resource Storage

Postby Goodenuff » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:59 am

Most autobalance will never work. You actually create "reverse stacks"

Example, 1 game has a 1500 elo guy and 5 guys between 1000-1100 and 4 guys sub 1000. The autobalance will put the 4 sub 1000 elos guys with the 1500 because that will make the elo "balances"

Honestly, if you're worried about stacks, the best way to counter it right now (if you want to avoid stacks to a degree) is to play AREM and not APEM.

divinerape

Postby divinerape » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:44 pm

I stand currently at 1709 elo... and I for one would not mind at all. But most people will because they just love to "stomp". It would be kind of great actually if every game was for ~15 elo instead of the 5-8 I play most of the time. That and I would be willing to be that my win % doubles in that case.

Goodenuff
Resource Storage

Postby Goodenuff » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:09 am

No autobalance will work. The theory is good, but the execution fails.

Now, if the elo balance did a 1-2-2-2-2-1 balance, that might work a little bit better, but you're not going to get a balanced game. Once DotA changed to EM - Equal EXP, the game was over. No value to deny outside of mid lane and let end game heroes wreck at 20 minute mark instead of the intended 35+

Return to “Defense of the Ancients”