Revamping the DIHL

Moderator: DIHL Staff

WolfPackMama
Forest Walker

Re: Revamping the DIHL

Postby WolfPackMama » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:38 pm

Because the problem isn't in about who's hosting the games, but in who's playing them.
Mother of three gals who call themselves "The Wolf Pack", hence the name :)

Dhamma
Treant

Postby Dhamma » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:27 pm

raizoir wrote:The bot is public, anyone can host why don't you grab 9 people and make a game for others to join? Please post when you do.

The fact that ent allows players to host their own custom games on ent has no relevance to dihl. They were doing that before even the last dihl started years ago.
Vipassana: to see things as they really are. This meditation was rediscovered by Buddha more than 2500 years ago and was taught by him as a universal remedy for universal ills. This technique aims for the total eradication of mental impurities and the resultant highest happiness of full liberation

tinkertonker
Forest Walker

Postby tinkertonker » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:35 am

I took a break from Dota for a while and I am just going to throw in my 2 cents on this matter. This is my experience with ENT, DIHL and slipperyslark.

From my understanding for the longest time, DIHL has been dead. It slowly died like the non em games, the 1200 + rated games, etc.

Slipperyslark generally would whisper or keep track on people he liked playing with and would whisper and get games going and we would smash some pubs. Eventually he tried get private games going and would whisper people from pubs he thought were decent to come play. Eventually this turned into a kinda makeshift DIHL. Stats were even tracked manually on another website for bragging rights.

I have personally seen Slipperyslark try to work with newer players and help them out. I have seen him ask people to sit out to try to get people who haven't played or try to balance teams or have shake up the captains.

I not sure how these guys were rude to you or what you think they owe you, but I am sure if you talked to them it could have been worked out.

Maybe shit has changed while I was gone. But I give them A+ for effort.

There are things ENT could do that would help DOTA grow but dont have the manpower or resources to do so. When I left it felt like ENT is just on auto pilot right now.

WolfPackMama
Forest Walker

Postby WolfPackMama » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:49 am

I'm down for having an opinion, but do you happen to have an actual suggestion to help the current state?

tinkertonker
Forest Walker

Postby tinkertonker » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:02 am

For DIHL or Dota or your situation?

WolfPackMama
Forest Walker

Postby WolfPackMama » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:27 am

I've tried my best to ensure that the thread title is clear enough, alas, seems I haven't been clear enough.

About DIHL, to answer.

tinkertonker
Forest Walker

Postby tinkertonker » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:02 am

I just wanted to be clear because I was directed here by another thread. I think the best answer lies in kinda of hybrid system between the 1200+ elo bot and the current DIHL system.

I think that regular bots should have an cap on how much elo you can earn on them, example 1200. Once you hit 1200 elo, you cannot get anymore playing the regular bots.

Once you hit 1200 elo you can unlock the higher rated bot.

Elo earned on this bot is tracked separately. Elo could be tracked both seasonally and lifetime. The teams are auto balanced to avoid any drama and come on a first come first serve basis. So if you are waiting for the next game if you are in the bot waiting, you will be guaranteed a spot.

If you lose a game, you are given a 1-3 minute ban from the higher rated bot. This allows the winners to continue playing and losers to join in if needed if there is a spot available.

The bot is Autobalance by taking the average of your lifetime and seasonal elo. This will prevent unbalance teams at the beginning of a season reset.

From my knowledge, you can have a loud sound play if there is a dota game starting so you sit in a lobby and switch back when the game starts so it allows you to preserve your spot in the queue.

I just think you can burn out doing all the work required with DIHL. I do think this would also discourage smurfs and encourage people to play to rank up and help develop a better community.

GriefC0de
Basic Tree

Postby GriefC0de » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:36 am

tinkertonker wrote:I think that regular bots should have an cap on how much elo you can earn on them, example 1200. Once you hit 1200 elo, you cannot get anymore playing the regular bots.

This will literally block out better players from the regular bots. What does happen when you play regularly in a team and you have simply a bad friend, you will no longer be able to play common games, aside from creating smurf accounts.

However, there are ways to make bots less attractive to players, an example, playing on the public bot does fully score only specific Elo ranges, from 700 - 1300, once you reached more or less, the gain/loss is dramatically reduced/increased. So climbing/falling on public bots is a lot more difficult, a second bot could then have a minimum rating of 1300 set and a normal score rating for players. This could allover work on the same Elo system, there wouldn't be a difference required, as players want to climb will start switching the bots, once reached the 1300 cap.

Just a theoretical idea, the question is how good that will work out in the end.

Greetings

tinkertonker
Forest Walker

Postby tinkertonker » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:24 am

I didn't say it would block players. I just said you cannot get more than 1200 elo on regular bots

not2000elo
Armored Tree

Postby not2000elo » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:12 am

tinkertonker wrote:I just wanted to be clear because I was directed here by another thread. I think the best answer lies in kinda of hybrid system between the 1200+ elo bot and the current DIHL system.

I think that regular bots should have an cap on how much elo you can earn on them, example 1200. Once you hit 1200 elo, you cannot get anymore playing the regular bots.

Elo earned on this bot is tracked separately. Elo could be tracked both seasonally and lifetime. The teams are auto balanced to avoid any drama and come on a first come first serve basis. So if you are waiting for the next game if you are in the bot waiting, you will be guaranteed a spot.

If you lose a game, you are given a 1-3 minute ban from the higher rated bot. This allows the winners to continue playing and losers to join in if needed if there is a spot available.

The bot is Autobalance by taking the average of your lifetime and seasonal elo. This will prevent unbalance teams at the beginning of a season reset.

From my knowledge, you can have a loud sound play if there is a dota game starting so you sit in a lobby and switch back when the game starts so it allows you to preserve your spot in the queue.

I just think you can burn out doing all the work required with DIHL. I do think this would also discourage smurfs and encourage people to play to rank up and help develop a better community.

I've been away from a few days and come back to..... this.

Cheers my friend, this might very well be the best post I've read in a long long time. Support this exact system 1000%.

<<<Impressed.

WolfPackMama
Forest Walker

Postby WolfPackMama » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:13 am

A very nice system indeed. +1 from me as well.

Can we get information from someone on technical department to tell us would this be achievable?
If it could be, DIHL staff could get a very nice idea on how to refresh the league.

Burnt
Treant Protector

Postby Burnt » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:36 am

There is no technical department lol
Last edited by Merex on Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Pretty sure he means staff department.
GOTEM

Merex
Oversight Staff

Postby Merex » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:56 pm

That suggestion holds no real relevance to DIHL. Elo gain on public bots is already iffy enough as it is with team balance and independent skill level. The entire point of the standing requirement into DIHL is to differentiate your typical player to someone whom preforms at a higher level (as elo calculates over time).

Speaking from a realistic stand point, restricting people from being able to play on a bot is never ideal. Following that, the community split between arem, apem and lod is already a big one and we don't need to be creating secondary bots for just elo caps/differences.

Nevertheless, even if such a bot is created for the dota community there is no guarantee that it will be active. Take HELLHALT for example, which is the #2 most played game on ent (roughly 1200 more games per-week than dota apem), it has a bot for higher skilled games (1100+). It averages 3 games per-week and as I write this hasn't had one in over 2 days.
The Slap God - An EoC Story
  • ENT Rules, Guides and more can be found on our Wiki.
  • Contact the staff & interact with others by joining our Discord.
  • Now available: Host A Game UI.

Merex
Oversight Staff

Postby Merex » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:03 am

Make a suggestion thread for further arguments regarding elo-bots, this is about DIHL in the DIHL forum.
The Slap God - An EoC Story
  • ENT Rules, Guides and more can be found on our Wiki.
  • Contact the staff & interact with others by joining our Discord.
  • Now available: Host A Game UI.

tinkertonker
Forest Walker

Postby tinkertonker » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:21 am

What is the difference from what I proposed and DIHL?
These users thanked the author tinkertonker for the post:
WolfPackMama (Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:33 pm)

Return to “DIHL Archive”