Decay poll

Moderator: LIHL Staff

Should a decay system be implemented in the LIHL?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:35 am

Yes
38%
No
62%

Total votes: 13

dweiler
Plague Treant

Decay poll

Postby dweiler » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:35 am

So, after having a discussion on the decay issue I have decided to set up a poll. The options are simple: 'yes' = yes a decay system should be implemented, 'no'= no decay system should be implemented. The poll will run for a week.

I have decided to go for this simple poll because a lot of discussion can arise regarding exactly how the decay system should work. I think it is best to first see if the community wants a decay system before discussing what it should look like (also what is technically possible).

You can read the original thread in which the pro's and con's are discussed extensively here.
You can write why you are in favour or against below.
You don't stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

DonaldtheDuckie
Treant

Re: Decay poll

Postby DonaldtheDuckie » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:58 am

Yes -
1. to make the lihl more competitive - incentive to play more,
2. to make players have to be more consistent,
3. things change over time and makes it more fair for the competitors
4. Makes the lihl more active if people play more
5. if the lihl gets more active, people get to know each other better.
6. spinoff effects of 5, and the rest, better people relations in the lihl

BA_Fail
Forest Walker

Postby BA_Fail » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:57 pm

Yes
lihl has become inactive compared to how it used to be, hoping this would change that

dweiler
Plague Treant

Postby dweiler » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:31 am

We are halfway the voting time and still only 10 votes. We need more votes to see what the opinion of the community is! Your vote counts!
You don't stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

HateLose
Forest Walker

Postby HateLose » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:41 pm

I voted...........NO!

Why penalize the players that got their ELO? Yes, I understand the 1st season will not be that fair (as many players already pointed out, but that's because players got vouched during mid-season). If we enable this new decaying system, it will somewhat "force" players to constantly play, in order to be at the top and maintain without losing ELO....even though they earned their way up there. The main reason I also say NO, is because it is the summer. I'm sure a lot of players, besides me go on vacations and trips. Ever since the tourney, I barely played LTD or LIHL, because of all the trips and vacations I've been taking, should I get penalized for that?

You have to take other factors into place as well. The 1st season (current season) it is going on longer than other seasons. The seasons will usually be 2 months.....this one is about 3-4 months. Players are constantly joining LIHL. Why not allow only new players to join at the end of the season, instead of beginning/mid season (this can stop the complaining of, "we don't have enough games to catch up"....blah blah blah). Just my two cents...... Regardless how the outcome of the poll is, I'm sure I'll still play LIHL.

HateLose
Forest Walker

Postby HateLose » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:02 pm

DonaldtheDuckie wrote:Yes -
1. to make the lihl more competitive - incentive to play more,
2. to make players have to be more consistent,
3. things change over time and makes it more fair for the competitors
4. Makes the lihl more active if people play more
5. if the lihl gets more active, people get to know each other better.
6. spinoff effects of 5, and the rest, better people relations in the lihl

1). Isn't the point of joining LIHL to be competitive? We are playing "pros" (only vouched players can play in LIHL). You don't have to play #1 to be competitive.
2). what if they have RL situations that are more important? or vacations?!?!?
3). Then the players who doesn't play consistently won't be top the following seasons.
4). This I agree on........good point here
5). Not quite sure what this has to do with playing LTD (more of a social thing)

Again.....Just my two cents......

willie64
Forest Walker

Postby willie64 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:59 pm

Just decay upto 10% a week from all elo above 1k, so 1400 elo -1k; 400 elo x10% = 40 elo drop a week. (Rough suggestion)
Its not alot of lost elo; it will force someone to play a few matches a week and win to sustain rank. Well so what? I dont see the negative part in it, we want an active community no?

Win/win.
Too bad if your Nr 1 and want to afk #1 position, whats the point of doing lihl and afk later? We have to look @ the nr 1 goal of this lihl community. From THAT point of view we should set rules.

- We want an active "pro player base " community -

Oh and about the people that got a " social life ", thats all fine we all do. If you cant play enough to become nr #1 so what? lol its not about getting #1 its about getting a good community with competive play style. More active games means we actually allow more people to play it and kick/ban the bottem players. We cant ban bottem players now because A) player base is to small, B) you cant judge properly due no comparisons can be made with alot of other people.

DonaldtheDuckie
Treant

Postby DonaldtheDuckie » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:26 am

HateLose wrote:
1). Isn't the point of joining LIHL to be competitive? We are playing "pros" (only vouched players can play in LIHL). You don't have to play #1 to be competitive.

No, the point of joining lihl is to play legion games under lihl rules with an equal opportunity to win the lihl. To win you got to beat the #1.
HateLose wrote:2). what if they have RL situations that are more important? or vacations?!?!?

Then they decay some elo. If they decay too much to retain the #1 they dont have what it takes to get the #1 the current season.
HateLose wrote:
3). Then the players who doesn't play consistently won't be top the following seasons.

Nice to see you're finally catching on. It is not just the following season the player who dont play consistently wont be the top though, its also the current season.
HateLose wrote: 4). This I agree on........good point here
I'm overjoyed that we agree on something.
HateLose wrote:
5). Not quite sure what this has to do with playing LTD (more of a social thing)

Should it come as a surprise that you do not understand what socializing has to do with legion?
[spoiler=]trollol[/spoiler]

Feor
Treant

Postby Feor » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:19 am

willie64 wrote:Just decay upto 10% a week from all elo above 1k, so 1400 elo -1k; 400 elo x10% = 40 elo drop a week. (Rough suggestion)
Its not alot of lost elo; it will force someone to play a few matches a week and win to sustain rank. Well so what? I dont see the negative part in it, we want an active community no?

Oh and about the people that got a " social life ", thats all fine we all do. If you cant play enough to become nr #1 so what? lol its not about getting #1 its about getting a good community with competive play style.

40 elo / week is not a lot ? are you insane ? it is approximately 3 wins. Therefore you disallow any person to go vacations or just stay out and relax? Or being unable to play because of work ( fif for example ) , 40 elo / week is an insane amount. And why take out people with low elo ? they should lose elo as well if they are inactive.

On the 2nd part, read the previous posts on how many games top10 players have, then tell me whether our current nr1 has played enough or not.

Also I can assure you that the whole topic is indeed about getting #1 not about the community. All people want is for #1 to lose elo so they can catch up easier, not beacuse they like him and want him to be more active in games for his company and great jokes.

Furbolg.
Forest Walker

Postby Furbolg. » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:21 am

Of cause Hate2lose, Beepboopbeep and Feor do not want decay polls.
Q: Who is Zyzz?

Feor
Treant

Postby Feor » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:33 am

Furbolg. wrote:Of cause Hate2lose, Beepboopbeep and Feor do not want decay polls.

I have voted yes and have made a suggestion of how a decay should be fair for everyone taking into account their activity but also the total of their games.

However the arguments people give in favour of decay poll are ridiculous. At least try make a proper argument.

Next time before you mention me ironically in a desperate try to make a point please read the complete list of posts regarding that subject.

I got really tired of your hating everyone and anyone again and again.

ps: I changed my vote to no after this post.

ps2: it's spelled ofcourse. "of cause" is not acceptable in English and it doesn't make any sense.

Furbolg.
Forest Walker

Postby Furbolg. » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:11 pm

There was no hating there, just stating the obvious.

ps: So I was right you dont want decay.

ps2: I got rly tired of you hating on me due to my bad english :D

ps3: U mad?
Q: Who is Zyzz?

BA_Fail
Forest Walker

Postby BA_Fail » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:39 pm

I have changed my vote to no now that the lihl has become more active.

The decay system imo should be a smaller amount than 40, it should be about 10-15 or 1% of the persons current elo. How I would want it is that once every week it checks for people that have been inactive more than 2 weeks and takes their elo, adds up all the elo taken and splits it evenly amongst all the players as to maintain the 1000 avg elo. Not sure if its even possible but just an idea

HateLose
Forest Walker

Postby HateLose » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:34 pm

DonaldtheDuckie wrote:No, the point of joining lihl is to play legion games under lihl rules with an equal opportunity to win the lihl. To win you got to beat the #1.

LOL.....are you serious? The purpose of LIHL is for competitive play. Obviously we gotta play by LIHL rules. Also, YES you can be #1 without beating #1. It is an ELO system. You can constantly beat #2, #3, #4, etc and eventually surpass #1.

DonaldtheDuckie wrote:Then they decay some elo. If they decay too much to retain the #1 they dont have what it takes to get the #1 the current season.

Your reasoning doesn't make ANY sense. You are decaying ELO from them, trying to penalize them for not playing (which I can understand). That has nothing to do with them not being #1. Technically they're not #1 anymore, because of the ELO decay, not because they don't deserve that position.

DonaldtheDuckie wrote:
Nice to see you're finally catching on. It is not just the following season the player who dont play consistently wont be the top though, its also the current season.

Again....all this is pointing to is SEASON 1.....Season 2 this won't matter.....every season the stats are reset and starts over. There will be only 2 months per season. Trust me the next few seasons won't matter like right now.

DonaldtheDuckie wrote:
I'm overjoyed that we agree on something.

We can't always disagree :lol:

DonaldtheDuckie wrote:
Should it come as a surprise that you do not understand what socializing has to do with legion?

LOLOLOLOL.....I socialize with most of the LIHL players. I would like to think I'm a nice friendly person, except when it comes to topic posts.
So basically, players like you play games to socialize, because you can't get RLF? :o

P.S. I don't have anything against anyone, but I'm just speaking from my point of view and will defend my beliefs. I don't care about winning...I care about playing good players. Like I said PREVIOUSLY in MANY posts. I don't care if I'm not #1 and if you decay ELO. I will still play. I'm speaking from another prespective....the opposite of you guys. If you notice, I'm usually always opposite of everyone in LIHL, because what I believe.

HateLose
Forest Walker

Postby HateLose » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:39 pm

Furbolg. wrote:Of cause Hate2lose, Beepboopbeep and Feor do not want decay polls.

Actually Feor voted Yes. He does want ELO Decay, but not to the extreme as you guys are mentioning. Also it's funny you say only us 3 when majority of the players voted no. Only 5 voted YES, while 7 voted NO.

Return to “LIHL Archive”