Item jumping guide and prevention

Burn
Protector of Nature

Item jumping guide and prevention

Postby Burn » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:47 pm

How to Item jump 101

Before we start, I just want to say I have a basic video guide I wrote previously for item jumping which works with 90% of mid item jumps as long as you place the item in the right place. Test in single player!

Basic video guide with text in description: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpjVe0-6vSw

Table of Contents

A) Moving into place
B) Item short Jump without breaking WW
C) Item long jumping
D) Specific jump locations
E) Mechanics

A) Moving into place

1) Right click until you are as close to the two walls as possible
2) If that doesn't work, try repeatedly using the move command on both buildings until you're in place. (M + click building)
3) If that doesn't work, try using a combination of move command on building, then right click into place

B) Item short Jump without breaking WW

- The general consensus to single item jump without breaking WW is by having an item placed as far away as possible from the gap you're jumping, but still on your unit, then picking up the item. Using the move/hold/patrol all work. Note, spells work too, but it breaks your WW.

C) Item long jumping
- To item long jump, you must break WW. You can do this by attacking the item or wall, using a spell (You can even cancel the spell animation), or using an item.

- Item long jumps works exactly like a builder building jump (or wall jumping). The amount of items needed to block off the space is similar to how many units that needs to be blocked in order to building jump. The only difference is that the titan is a larger 1.5 units squared (1.5x1.5), and the builder is 1 units squared (1x1). This allows the titan to jump into most tower bases, and able to jump into the back of other bases.

D) Specific jump locations

For this particular item jump it's got very weird autopathing caused by slope, so I wrote a specific guide for it(WITH PICTURES!):
Spoiler!
Top left shelter is shelter one
Bot right shleter is shelter two

1) Use move command to shelter one
2) Use move command(or right click) to the centre of where you think you are supposed to be so both selection circles of the shelters overlap with yours.
2.1) The centre is aligned with the right side of shelter one, and the top side of shelter two. (you can spam click this) [ img ]
3)Move command back to shelter one to make titan face the shelter.
4) Drop item in the centre of the red target: [ img ]
5) Pick-up the item to jump over without breaking WW.
5.1) Alternatively, you can also use a skill then press (S) to cancel the skill to pop over, but it will break WW. This is used mainly for jumping into bases.

Further notes and explanations:

- You only have to overlap selection circles and be touching the other one to jump over, but you'll have to be more precise with the item drop placement.
- The reason why you have to go through all this work is because the two shelters are on a slope, shelter one is on higher ground than the other.
- Basically, you have to prevent your unit from turning clockwise (towards shelter two), or the titan will bug out and pathing will make you move, which is why the third step is recommended so that you will turn anti-clockwise.

E) Mechanics
- The reason why you can jump is because windwalked units collides and can not walk over items. Since an item is dropped after you have already moved there, and if you try to use a command like picking the item up or moving (short item jumps) or break WW in any way (long item jumping), the game engine tries to place your unit where it is not colliding with another item on the same terrain level, which makes you jump, allowing you to even jump inside bases.
- The reason why sometimes you can't move to where you want to go is because of WC3's famous autopathing, where it tries to go another route to get to the desired location due to slopes. Otherwise, it's usually okay, as long as you don't click too far over the gap, or onto the building.

-Burn
Last edited by Burn on Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:23 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Burn
Protector of Nature

Re: Item jumping guide and prevention

Postby Burn » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:48 pm

Reserved in case I need to separate guide into two, or reached char. limit.

-Burn

SpiritBreaker
Forest Walker

Postby SpiritBreaker » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:48 pm

Do we have an approximate max distance on the short and long jumps? @Burn or anyone else who experimented with short and long jumps.

Lynx said:
Lynx wrote:
SpiritBreaker wrote:I wonder if ww jumping and ankh jumping have different maximum jump distances.

I'd be very surprised if there were any difference between all the jumps, so max distance is 12 walls iirc.

PS: How do you get a URL link to a certain post? Or does this forum not have that feature? Edit: Answered. Thank you Lynx.
Last edited by SpiritBreaker on Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:15 pm, edited 5 times in total.
SpiritFryer@USEast
My Twitch stream

Lynx
Donator

Postby Lynx » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:07 pm

Off topic:
click on the posts "Re:(topic name)" you want to link and then just copy the url. for example here I'm linking to your post.
These users thanked the author Lynx for the post:
SpiritBreaker (Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:11 pm)

Burn
Protector of Nature

Postby Burn » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:39 pm

I think it's around 24 units, but i can test in-game. I'll report back soon.

-Burn

Return to “Builders”