Terrain Ideas

Moderators: Remixer, IAmDragon

BeeKauzh
Forest Walker

Re: [4.0.0] Terrain Ideas

Postby BeeKauzh » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:38 pm

@Lynx theres currently no base there, its under the 2 already existing bases.
@1337hamburger Titan can easily camp his minions to the left of the ramp where very few towers will attack them, making it impossible to rewall.
The base currently there is one of the strongest, why change it?

1337hamburger
Treant

Postby 1337hamburger » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:02 pm

@Beekauzh Maybe the external trees could be brought out so that it is fairly easy to rewall the base to being 3 walls deep. Also I was under the thought that this is currently a fairly weak base, hard to rw, not too much space, easy nukes on harvs and builders from around the whole base and it doesn't currently hold a great amount of towers. I don't really see anyone base at this spot besides you beek. :)

Crustcheese
Aura Tree

Postby Crustcheese » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:50 pm

Miukii inspired me to get going on some map edit myself.

The lumberbase is small but:
1. is a good new RC hiding spot with the tree enclosure up top
2. has a lot of trees to offer to lumber from
3. is the nuke access point for the main base

The Base itself has depending on playstyle, builder etc. space for:
Builder1:
6Fruits, RC, ARC, ~9shelters, 30 towers
Support:
1Shelter, RC, ARC

Also the small group of trees to the bottom right of the base has a small juke/hiding spot for a worker or builder.

But what am i telling you guys, just see for yourself and feel free to criticise (constructively!) =)

1337hamburger
Treant

Postby 1337hamburger » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:31 pm

@crustcheese @Miukii the problem I see is that both your base designs are outside of the main titan pearl spots, there are other bases in the game like this, but because they aren't in normal scouting zones they are fairly weak. The bases I'm thinking of are north island base, south bay base and sky base.

Crustcheese
Aura Tree

Postby Crustcheese » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:20 pm

@1337hamburger
well, first of all, bay base is actually being worked on atm because its too weak, but that doesnt matter :P

I get what you mean, you fear that there are too many proper basing spots, so that the titan kinda looses the overview where he has to check and where not to.
but... if there are only about 4-5 bases that get used on a regular basis (1 of 3 games) its easy for the titan to shut those down.
For example Euro was so overpowered in 3.0.9 that i for myself never based there because 3 of 5 games the titan had a floating eye in that base for most of the game.

while youre right that most off-pearl basing spots are weaker, you still have to have a chance to survive in every single (meant to be) base, even late game.
Obviously i agree, you can and can't survive in any base under certain circumstances, but just thinking of a general balanced game, and about what my usual base looks like, towerwise i think 30 towers is not too strong, even for a base thats not common to scout for the titan.

Another thing is by adding more smaller bases and reworking massiv bases it might even be possible to rebalance the game to a whole new level.
While some people arent happy about the current balance of the game, they seem to forget what ID is actually about.
Its a 10 vs 1 game, so the titan has to have a chance to win the game, no matter how hard the other 10 work together.
while most of the time, people cry about the game being favorable for the titan, i havent seen a titan break a quad base in any of my past 100+ games.
The builders always got the advantage of teamwork, so by removing some of the teamwork capability, and thus nerfing the potential of the builders (without actually changing stats or anything major!), it might even be possible to (re?)nerf the titan without affecting the overall game balance too much.
but thats a diffrent kind of story i dont wanna get into now ^^

ShadowZz
Poison Treant

Postby ShadowZz » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:21 am

I think he was more hinting to the idea that if you increase the amount of pearl locations needed to cover "useful" bases then it naturally nerfs the titans ability to scout. Which I quite agree with. Every base outside of main pearl spots has major disadvantages because you gain the advantage of not being scouted building it. Adding a base within the top right pearl basically doesn't change balance at all (eh). But adding one where nobody ever pearls and in addition to that you would have to use 1 pearl just to scout that 1 base gives titan a big disadvantage. I like the base, not a big fan of free lumber spots though :D

Also that would be an OP as fuck gobo fac base.

Lynx
Donator

Postby Lynx » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:44 pm

Something to spice up the map.

Map:
IDTerrain suggestion.w3x
(422.35 KiB) Downloaded 44 times

1337hamburger
Treant

Postby 1337hamburger » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:01 pm

I see that this thread is getting a lot of action now :) , I honestly didn't notice it was here until miukii posted here the other day. Anyways, I've had quite a bit of fun messing around with some bases.
http://imgur.com/JoMmcwD
This is a revision I made to the base under the "River base", all I did was add a few external trees so that the titan would need to nuke from head on during re walling. If the titan can only nuke from the front, then the titan can't hide from the towers, and can't get a "free" kill from camping some minis in the fog. I know that beek loves this base how it currently is in the live game but I think it is just too easy to nuke currently. There are only a few unnukeable areas in the entire base currently, and vs bub there are zero unnukeable areas, and to me that seems like a big issue.

These next changes are not as minor, I changed the bay base and the surrounding area pretty significantly.
http://imgur.com/XhkUEVMhttp://imgur.com/R5q43nY
The layout change will leave the dps of the bay base about the same I believe, maybe it will decrease slightly. The base will have more space for lumbering, and just more space in general, to offset that advantage the base would become fairly nukeable in terms of rewalling. Although the base itself will become a safer area during sieging because this layout would be harder to bounce a full base of builders.

The area behind the bay base I also edited fairly heavily.
http://imgur.com/GZwIy6o
Of course the first effect this creates is the chance to nuke both harvesters and builders within the bay base. Also a big thing for me is that it will make the lumber base to the north-west of the bay base nukeable unless a wall is placed to block it, like I showed in the picture. There is also minor changes that will aid builders, there is a large seed (6 harvs) that can be nuked from either the north or south and there is a small patch that a shelter could be placed and offer a good deal of lumber potential, or that area could be used to hide an arc.

BeeKauzh
Forest Walker

Postby BeeKauzh » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:48 pm

@1337hamburger http://imgur.com/JoMmcwD
I like that change, it makes the base stronger early and mid game, which is the main weakness to the current one. There's also room for workers and more than 2 people.
However, it significantly reduces the amount of towers you can build making it significantly weaker late game. I counted 36 and I doubt you can add much more.
While adding trees may prevent nuking, it also creates FOW for minions & titan to hide.

Luna
Aura Tree

Postby Luna » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:04 am

Luna fixed

Saving lives during the day and crushing nerds at night. Put on this earth to retrieve panties for Sat. Not even Neco can fix me.

1337hamburger
Treant

Postby 1337hamburger » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:21 pm

@luna what is the point of the first change? It seems to just ruin a fairly popular lb.

road-kill
Forest Walker

Postby road-kill » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:41 pm

Honestly reducing size top left, expanding broken fountain a bit, increase top mid base a bit, other than that your map been fantastic :)

ShadowZz
Poison Treant

Postby ShadowZz » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:50 am

@1337hamburger To be honest it's a pretty OP lumber base. Unnukable workers and can be fully blocked from items jumps with 2 upgraded walls.

1337hamburger
Treant

Postby 1337hamburger » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:45 am

@shadowzz ya I guess, I would just be worried that the top middle of the map would become even less used than it already is.

ShadowZz
Poison Treant

Postby ShadowZz » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:17 am

@1337hamburger I'm pretty much of the opinion of completely removing it and redoing it but meh :D

Return to “Island Defense”