fix to group-basing

Moderators: Remixer, IAmDragon

Stealer
Protector of Nature

Re: fix to group-basing

Postby Stealer » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:01 am

@neco I have this great idea for a team game, if any of the guys on the same team get close to each other kill all of them.

ShadowZz
Poison Treant

Postby ShadowZz » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:03 am

@Stealer I wish I could print screen the full on rant I just had about that. You are amazing. Being serious.

Stealer
Protector of Nature

Postby Stealer » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:13 am

The amount of hoops you guys want to introduce to combat people playing as a team is amusing.

Burn
Protector of Nature

Postby Burn » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:16 am

I'm all for team-play. I rarely solo base and always try to get as many players into my base as possible. The problem is; ten man bases at minute zero is also considered team-play.

-Burn

Sethy
Aura Tree

Postby Sethy » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:02 am

How would this ruin teamplay???????

The same argument could be made that it would improve it:
For example if there are 3 supports in a game, 3 builders, they're more likely to communicate on who supports who. Right now you'll have all the supports flock to one base and the rest will fall.

Saying that a new game mechanic ruins teamwork is so subjective to case by case scenarios
Quote Hall of Fame:
"The people who voted are the people who were going to vote anyways."

Lynx
Donator

Postby Lynx » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:06 pm

The reason why I don't like flags is it supports a hostile and "segregative" playing style. People will never allow noobs into their base since they now can block them from entering, while they could ask them to leave now I think most don't bother since it doesn't affect much. I also don't think "flagging" bases are the way to go since there is nothing similar in the game, auras already exist and thus they'll enter more smoothly.

Auras are also more lore-friendly. How would a flag block someone from entering a base? or how would it prevent someone from building.

Burn
Protector of Nature

Postby Burn » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:41 am

I don't think you can bring lore into this equation. There are way too many things wrong with the game that makes sense to use logic to debate against a working solution. Flags could work, I have no complaints on the vamp. fire flag system.

- If titan had that much gold in his gold mound, why doesn't he just use that?
- If titan gets gold from buildings, why doesn't the builder not need gold to produce those buildings?
- Who sells the items to the titan? There's no-one occupying the shops at mid. Are they vending machines?
- How are there unlimited workers coming out of nowhere to worker block a titan?
- How do trees have infinite wood?
- Did the builders just arrive at the island and never built a single building or

When you consider flags, it actually makes a bit of sense, builders are not of the same race anyway and may not know each other before coming to the island and they can choose or not choose to form alliances with your team-mates. It's like tribes in the olden days, not everyone had the same interests in mind.

Auras is a good idea, no doubt about it, but it's not a workign solution, because builders will be able to swarm your base and not leave and end up getting banned, lessening the player count.

Flags is the best of both worlds, not only will it remove a rule from the rulebook (not leaving base), thus decreasing players on the ban list, but making it impossible to double base in a competitive environment (optional inhouse mode, but can be voted) to decrease rules.

-Burn

Neco
Treant Protector

Postby Neco » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:51 am

The current solution I've begun implementing is based off upgrading your Research Centre into a "basing hub" which acts similarly to the flag you're describing. You can only have one and it uses aura's to handle whether or not towers will work.

The issue now is, as Burn described, how to handle Refugees. There isn't really an easy way to "kick" builders out, especially if they're being chased by the Titan and want to hide in your base temporarily. This is the only issue I have, everything else I have a solution to.
Former Editor of Island Defense - ENTID Rules

Burn
Protector of Nature

Postby Burn » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:03 am

Can't you just give a flag a skill and teleport the builder out of the base? Every base will have a teleport spot, ie. entrance of the base. The flag will have a targeting system and teleport the builder out of the base whenever he comes in range if he comes back in.

Also, fortress survival alpha also has a "flag system" and it works perfectly.

-Burn

Neco
Treant Protector

Postby Neco » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:05 am

In ID you don't have to stick to any defined bases though, so the system needs to be able to work anywhere.

Burn
Protector of Nature

Postby Burn » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:07 am

Funbases can just be an exception. They are not the norm anyway, like 1% of games. We don't have to cater balance around those, because funbases are shit compared to actual bases anyway.

-Burn

Neco
Treant Protector

Postby Neco » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:09 am

Maybe, but ideally a solution would work anywhere.

I'll be looking over a lot of things this weekend, so expect an update soon with lots of weird stuff like this!

Burn
Protector of Nature

Postby Burn » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:17 am

Refugees in funbases isn't a problem we're currently facing in Island Defense. Therefore, a solution is not needed for refugees in funbases.

-Burn

Stealer
Protector of Nature

Postby Stealer » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:18 am

There's also no reason to break funbases...

W/e I think you people are just making dumb changes anyways.

Burn
Protector of Nature

Postby Burn » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:21 am

It won't break funbases.

-Burn

Return to “Island Defense”