remove auto punish please, then release new verison

Moderators: Remixer, IAmDragon

Ryanb9
Resource Storage

remove auto punish please, then release new verison

Postby Ryanb9 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:25 am

if someone is good at ID titan then they can punish a minion instantly. (how it used to be)

if someone is new to ID titan it takes 2 minutes of explaining to tell them how to unpunish you, and minion probably dies before they can figure it out .

now everyone leaves if they die, so instead of a zombie game its a 1v10 game.
before, everyone stayed in played as minion and had fun. yeah sometimes someone would be a dick and suicide a minion when u werent looking, but that was part of the fun. now its 1v10 because no one expects to get unpunished.

no idea why anyone would change the punish to default to on.

Burn
Protector of Nature

Re: remove auto punish please, then release new verison

Postby Burn » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:24 am

On the other hand:

- This prevents intentional sui if you just use your own units.
- You don't have to use an extra command when busy sieging
- You won't have your punish on CD especially at extremely important times like stun trap at mid (for more kills), or stun trap at base

I vote keep autopunish as default

-Burn

Ryanb9
Resource Storage

Postby Ryanb9 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:43 am

why are u punishing? even you are of the mentality that you should be punishing minions as a default, wtf

Lynx
Donator

Postby Lynx » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:30 am

I agree with OP, Titans that want auto punish on can just enable it in mound from the games start

Ryanb9
Resource Storage

Postby Ryanb9 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:47 am

exactly. if you know about it and want it, turn it on. if you are a noob or dont care, it is off as a default.

i think this will also change the mentality from a 1v10 to the original zombie mode where if you die you play for enemy team.

Burn
Protector of Nature

Postby Burn » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:40 am

Most titan players don't know about it though, or forget about it. A lot of the time minions just take your gold and spend it on useless shit. I always tell my minion players to get mini-minis and kill seeds, but half the time they never do.

Also, since winrate is still in the game combined with unofficial ELO, it's still a 10v1 game, sharing minions should be discouraged, especially when titans get -expfr so often these days.

-Burn

Ben_T
Treant Protector

Postby Ben_T » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:39 pm

The same argument can be made that you can just turn auto punish off. Most people don't play mini anyways and if you really want to play mini, you now have the opportunity to teach a new Titan how to unpunish you so they will know in the future. Nothing wrong with the current autopunish system implemented.

Ryanb9
Resource Storage

Postby Ryanb9 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:08 pm

Burn wrote:Most titan players don't know about it though, or forget about it. A lot of the time minions just take your gold and spend it on useless shit. I always tell my minion players to get mini-minis and kill seeds, but half the time they never do.

Also, since winrate is still in the game combined with unofficial ELO, it's still a 10v1 game, sharing minions should be discouraged, especially when titans get -expfr so often these days.

-Burn

o.O

(this post was deleted earlier by a mod, not sure why)
Last edited by Ryanb9 on Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ryanb9
Resource Storage

Postby Ryanb9 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:10 pm

Ben_T wrote:The same argument can be made that you can just turn auto punish off. Most people don't play mini anyways and if you really want to play mini, you now have the opportunity to teach a new Titan how to unpunish you so they will know in the future. Nothing wrong with the current autopunish system implemented.

sounds like you read the OP and not any other responses.

Merex
Oversight Staff

Postby Merex » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:11 pm

Most likely was turned on to prevent immediate suicide attempts/other malicious intention(s). However, did like the idea personally that new titans had guidance/assistance with potentially more experienced players on minion.

Will mention both editors.
The Slap God - An EoC Story
  • ENT Rules, Guides and more can be found on our Wiki.
  • Contact the staff & interact with others by joining our Discord.
  • Now available: Host A Game UI.

IAmDragon
Armored Tree

Postby IAmDragon » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:32 pm

I disabled the autopunish off by default and turned it on by default.

I figured if you want players you can either unpunish or turn it off, but best case it allows you a few seconds to grab the unit to prevent suicide so it gives you some time to decide what to do while also immediately giving you control.

Players are gonna leave whether they have a mini or not most of the time because they prefer to only play Builder.
These users thanked the author IAmDragon for the post:
Merex (Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:43 pm)

Ryanb9
Resource Storage

Postby Ryanb9 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:52 pm

IamDragon wrote:I disabled the autopunish off by default and turned it on by default.

I figured if you want players you can either unpunish or turn it off, but best case it allows you a few seconds to grab the unit to prevent suicide so it gives you some time to decide what to do while also immediately giving you control.

Players are gonna leave whether they have a mini or not most of the time because they prefer to only play Builder.

If you want that few second to grab the unit and prevent suicide you can just turn on auto punish though.

It's not about removing the ability to auto punish, its about changing the default state of the auto punish button.

FollowingPath
Forest Walker

Postby FollowingPath » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:12 pm

@Ryanb9 If you can't even get a new titan to understand how to unpunish you, how do you expect to help them win as a minion? Personally, I like to think of it as a QoL change since the vast majority of titan players turn it 'on' anyway.

Ryanb9
Resource Storage

Postby Ryanb9 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:26 am

FollowingPath wrote:@Ryanb9 If you can't even get a new titan to understand how to unpunish you, how do you expect to help them win as a minion? Personally, I like to think of it as a QoL change since the vast majority of titan players turn it 'on' anyway.

Just saying, ID was a zombie game where when you die, you play for enemy team. This was very fun imo.

Then punish was added because if someone was sui a minion you could stop them. Then auto punish was added so no one every plays as minion, which is way less fun imo.

It has changed from a zombie game to a 1v10 game, and imo has become less fun for it. Now, people will just sit at gold pile when titan is missing because if they die, so what, they just leave and play a new game. Before, the mentality was that when you died you played as minion the rest of the game. Now, when someone dies they auto leave the game because that's the norm. Titan will not unpunish you so why would you stick around?

I just think the culture around the game and the mentality has changed quite a bit due to this auto punish by default feature, and even the auto punish button to begin with, and that the change has not been for the better.

Currently when I play titan, I tell the enemy team "I turn auto punish off, plz dont leave if you are minion" during the pick selection. This was due to everyone always leaving the instant they died and I couldnt figure out why (I just started playing island defense again a few days ago after a 10 year break). And I realized it was the culture built up via this auto punish feature.

Recently, people have remembered my name when I play titan and they dont leave (because they know I dont punish), they stick around and play as minion. This has lead to teamwork and support and the best id games as titan that I've had in the last couple days.

The first few day's games as titan were solo 1v10 and an absolute bore in comparison.

edit: if someone thinks they are the best titan player in the world and that every builder they kill is either crap in skill or a suicider, i doubt they would argue to remove this auto-punish feature. I also think that for those who take the time to register on this forum and make posts, their skill level is likely skewed towards the top end of the spectrum, so this seems to be trying to preach to the wrong crowd.

Ben_T
Treant Protector

Postby Ben_T » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:52 pm

Most titans actually think that the builder they killed is bad and that they are going to suicide the mini, etc. Another problem is that a good titan needs control of their minis to time things properly like a nuke or timing when to use a mirror, etc. You can be one of the best people at playing minion in the game but titans will rarely give you the mini even if the titan is bad. Normally a bad titan will say something like "I'm practicing my micro." I normally will give one person that i trust all of my minis or just not give them out at all. Me microing all of my minis is sometimes better than letting a pub have all of my minis. I normally stay around to mini for a titan but they almost never let me play mini. But honestly, thats their choice. And having the auto punish feature on by default just makes it easier on them.

Return to “Island Defense”