The toxicity in this community

Moderators: Remixer, IAmDragon

Yetdefect
Resource Storage

The toxicity in this community

Postby Yetdefect » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:23 pm

I request more people standing out of the group. Please stop being so incredibly toxic, especially against titans. You're free to be in your friendgroups unbothered talking shit, and you're free to look up to members of the community that u respect. But the behavior I see on a daily basis is disgusting, due to the height at which u hold yourselves at when we're talking about ID skill, geeze people. It means 0.

You'd think this would go without saying, but the ENT-staff group together with some of the people giving themselves "name value" are so goddamn toxic, that I really cant stand it.

My issue is with the inability of people in this community to be strong individuals, instead of behaving unworthy because they're in a group. I want the community to be more grown up. Even tho I'm assuming that most people that play ID is already grown men, they don't behave like it.

Please, stop being so infantile.

FalenGa
Oversight Staff

Re: The toxicity in this community

Postby FalenGa » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:12 pm

I share your disgust towards toxicity, but i can understand it to some minor degree.

Regarding ENT staff, tho, the rules are more strict. So, could you please provide some evidence to support your claims?

Yetdefect
Resource Storage

Postby Yetdefect » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:34 pm

FalenGa wrote:I share your disgust towards toxicity, but i can understand it to some minor degree.

Regarding ENT staff, tho, the rules are more strict. So, could you please provide some evidence to support your claims?

Sorry I just dont have the energy to find replays, chat logs and stuff like that. But so far I haven't met many in-game that have stood out form the group. Its just a general feeling of people not having any respect for others, even tho they're reliant on them being there to play the actual game.
It's the group mentality that I have an issue with.

I often find myself wondering at which point they're going to realize that they're toxic because they think of themselves as better than others at ID. I'm fine with individuals being a little toxic, and flaming generally, bantering isnt the issue. It's the mob mentality I despise as I said.

To make it clear, if I am challenged by one person at a time, I don't have an issue with it. It's the group of "pros", where the group psychology kicks in, and none of them act as individuals with any sort of self-reflection. They collectively boost each other, and back each other up in the negative behavior, that is utterly contemptible imo. It is clearly worse when people like LordMillt, Skipped Ben_T, wOxOw or whatever his name is, that the group gets worse.

And this isnt a ban request or something where I require people to do something about this, this is just a humble request.
I'm sure most people in the community know exactly what I am talking about!

Ben_T
Treant Protector

Postby Ben_T » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:02 pm

@Yetdefect hey, for starters, I haven't played in like a month since today when I played I think 2 games. Other than that I only make fun of people that I know because they know that I'm joking. I'll call people bad and make fun of people like lordmillt, kamikadse, yarragon, poe, and some others, but they're all people that I know we're normally in voice chat joking around as well. But as I stated previously, I haven't even played recently.

Yetdefect
Resource Storage

Postby Yetdefect » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:26 pm

Ben_T wrote:@Yetdefect hey, for starters, I haven't played in like a month since today when I played I think 2 games. Other than that I only make fun of people that I know because they know that I'm joking. I'll call people bad and make fun of people like lordmillt, kamikadse, yarragon, poe, and some others, but they're all people that I know we're normally in voice chat joking around as well. But as I stated previously, I haven't even played recently.

Fair enough @Ben_T. I don't play that much either, I play periodically.

I might have mixed u up with someone else, since this is purely from experience and my memory. But I remember being threatened to be kicked for basically standing up to the usual toxic stuff you have to take as a titan player, unless you're known inside the "old boys club". Also, I generally just try to be friendly to people, no matter their "name value". I don't aspire to be known and therefore in the group, that's why I use about 10 different accounts.

As I said, I dont know if it was specifically you @Ben_T, I just know that I have seen you with that group of people, and you're the only staff I know that I've seen in a game.

I'm sure that some people don't like this behavior either, but the general feeling I get is that most people lack the ability to self-reflect and stand out from the group by not joining in. This is mostly relevant when I play titan.

I have tried to instill this mentality with people I talk to in the community with some success, I just want to make it more clear by making this post. It's important if we still want to play ID that we are a little less infantile in our behavior. If someone makes a mistake, and died, i request that instead of booting the player and calling him names, just ignore it and realize that its a part of the game. Also, that is perticularly important when someone plays titan, since there are so few players willing to play titan.

There are many people joining ID games daily, that could be potential community members, but they join, get basically abused into submission and leaves. Instead try to encourage them trying ID out, and help them, give them tips. It's sad that this even has to be said.

Ben_T
Treant Protector

Postby Ben_T » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:48 pm

I normally try to help new players when I can and I know that when me and the "old boys club" are playing around and having fun, we flame each other for dying and I myself have been -boot ed from a game by them. I know who you are because I recognize your name so I do know that you play titan a lot, but from what I know (again, haven't played in a while so this is just what I know of) they don't like how you stall out games as titan so they go tryhard and abuse things like workerblock or they penta base in an overpowered base because they want the game to end. All of that just so they get to see you in the next lobby in the titan slot. I get where you're coming from because I've titaned against them and they're my friends so they go tryhard against me too and do the same thing and it's annoying, but if anything you should be flattered that they have to do that against you. In regards to new players, I try to help the new players and I don't like to kick them unless they just refuse to listen to me because if I'm hurting my gameplay to try and help someone and they don't listen to me then that's just annoying.

lordmillt4
Aura Tree

Postby lordmillt4 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:41 am

Are you Thai-Ten by any chance? Because it seems like you two share the same opinion and let me get myself clear as I was one of the ''Flamers'' in the games, you sit from 15min mark to GP trying to siege a DB base which you barely break then when GP's hits you're still trying to win even though a Rad added two overloads (Me) and a Frost Tower, we got a gold Tower, mag aura + goblin megas and broken walls and then you took 50% of the first wall's HP and you're still trying? For what? Obviously when you're wasting peoples time and few people refuse to VK(Because they went afk). people get a bit flamehappy because theres nothing else to do then trashshit (Sorry about that if ur Thai-Ten btw) and samething happened last game, people start flaming when titan is actually just wasting peoples time instead of sui and going into next lobby and you choose to trigger them when its obvious that you won't ever break into the base. Then again i am 100% friendly against newer players if theyre asking or needed to get taught meanwhile (I agree this Community is too toxic forwards NEW players).

@yetdefect accept when you lost, you said that if we didnt like playing the game you wanted it to be played we'll be sitting in a game for Three hours which you still wouldn't have won.

EDIT: One thing that you should be happy for is that non of us actually took our time to ban request as you broke the Stalling rule TWICE in a row because we respected that you were trying to siege until GP but after gp there was literally NO REASON to try when ur lvl 7 1 and half item finished.

Telsa
Basic Tree

Postby Telsa » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:19 am

My interpretation of this is that you play ID Enough to be emotionally invested in it but are intentionally keeping distance from the regular community for whatever reason, and so it puts you in a place where your only possible altercations could be toxic ones.

The Island Defense community is small, very small. Regular players see each other in lobbies and will shoot shit / naturally work together. Public Island Defense games are typically defined on the mistakes / new players. Friends who know eachother don't trash on eachother as much for mistakes (or when they do it's playfully), shockingly, and because of your intentional isolation these dramatic mistakes are defining how you interact with the regulars.

I guess you're sort of right but it's really self inflicted. Internet Culture in general is really aggressive. Making a mistake will result with a bombardment of "YOUR THE WORST PLAYER IN THE GAME ETC". If you're going to do this intentional lone wolf shit in a small community on the internet, I don't know what else you're expecting.

The other possibility I see is that you're an islandofweed-esq player where you play a lot of ID but have no interest in being honest with yourself when players call you out on bad things, so you just stay bad and turn into a joke that incites trolling on sight. You'll make bad plays, get flamed, and pout for an hour about how "NONE OF THEM GET IT THEY'RE JUST BEING TOXIC." When you drop pride and just go "Yeah I fucked up" and open yourself up to being a part of the regular community the nature of "toxic" behaviour changes radically.

This whole name "value thing" is skewed because in a community this small, you're more defined by being a nobody than a somebody. This whole "strong invididual" thing is kind of hilariously neckbeardy. You can still be an individual while existing in a larger community.

If you want to fix the situation for yourself, don't even reply to anything else in this thread, join the discord and don't die on your hubris in-game. The people I see don't flame unknown players and I personally, actively try to bring them into the discord. This is more in your head than anywhere else.

Lynx
Donator

Postby Lynx » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:50 am

The only channels in the discord that are worth reading are #ideas and #discussion the rest is toxic spam.

I agree the azeroth clique is disgustingly toxic, not only to new players but to returning players as well. I think it'd be somewhat fine if their words could back up their actions, but considering that literally everyone in the azeroth discord except kamikadse, gabbagool, and lordmillt play on a level below a 2013 pub player. Shittalking has always been a part of ID, shittalking as someone who only plays magnataur AFK in a seed is something entirely unique to this generation of ID players.

We should all try to embrace the spirit of coco, he only cared about competitive games without barely using the chat. Speak with your plays rather than the chatbox. Be a sportsman.
These users thanked the author Lynx for the post (total 2):
1337hamburger (Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:21 pm) • Yetdefect (Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:40 am)

Yetdefect
Resource Storage

Postby Yetdefect » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:28 am

The thing is, you seem to agree with me @Telsa, but you aren't willing to see the bigger picture. Due to the community being so small, and therefore every individual that is known, is valued that much more highly, even tho they aren't perticularly good they're still accepted. That creates a chasm between new players and the known ones, and I suspect that this creates the extra toxicity towards new players. And me having chosen not to be a part of this group for obvious reasons, Because I am a player with more than decent skill and a lot of time in the game, I have experienced first hand both being booted from a game when I've died, and seeing the "known" players that make the same mistakes, probably due to laziness in both cases. But of course due to human nature people chose not to see the faults in the people that are in the group, and therefore the known players dont get any toxicity.

I am well aware of the general aggressive behavior on the internet, this is different, in a very specific way. I think it is because of the community being so small. Also I think this issue has existed as long as I can remember in this community. Where even people who aren't known, or who are just average, they still take an absolute dump on new players almost to fit in, and even votekick them sometimes. I request that people try to stay away from that, if we want to have a larger community. And I don't think my issue is that I can't take the shit I get, because I'm part of harsh friendgroups where I don't have an issue with banter, this isnt the same thing. The issue Is a general lack of character shown in the games I play, especially from the "known" players. And I know that people are aware of it, I usually point this out, and notice that people understand the mistakes they're making and change their behavior accordingly.

The issue is not that I am a shit player, and can't accept it, that would've been clear if that was the case. Lets try to have a conversation instead of assuming the worst the worst in each other, and calling each other names.

@lordmillt4 Yes, I am happy that you were decent enough to not make a banrequest, because I don't want to get banned on ENT hosted games for playing titan and actually just trying to win as a titan. I value playing my chill ID games after school, that's why im using my energy to make these posts.

For some reason the intent of players doesn't seem to matter when it comes to handing out bans, which is quite bad in my opinion. My intention was clearly not to ruin the game, or to stall. My intention was to win and to try to play the game as intended. If anything the crying about me suiciding the minute you're so sure that you've won is the real issue in this case. I can't tell you how many games I've played where someone cries about me stalling, and then they make a mistake 5 minutes later, get nuked and I win the game because of it. However that's not as relevant in this case, since the game pretty much only consisted of really good players, and the rewallers had an AFKing demo that shat out healing rocks.

Also, lets be honest, playing titan vs good players, and AFKing in a base with 4 people in it are two entirely different things. Lets please change the attitude in the community, and be honest about the fact that playing demo, basically just sitting in a corner, or most builders for that matter, isn't very hard in the general pub game.

FollowingPath
Forest Walker

Postby FollowingPath » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:37 am

Lynx wrote:We should all try to embrace the spirit of coco

I agree.

Let's tk this guy!

Yetdefect
Resource Storage

Postby Yetdefect » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:41 am

@Lynx Tjena förresten, jag är gabbagool också xD

lordmillt4
Aura Tree

Postby lordmillt4 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:15 am

I do agree this community is becoming more and more toxic-like because what the builders are doing more and more, when you’re a decent titan and people know you because how small the community is they become scared of doing solo or double bases and ends up with penta or hexa base which is difficult to beat as the titan cuz it shut downs ur feed even more. I know I was one of those toxic players forwards you, my apologies. I know how it feels to face penta bases and how hard it is to beat and most titan players also knows but the people that never titan have no idea how hard it actually is most of the times and they just go ahead and flame you for stalling or just losing in general. This community lacks respect for each others and all the different skill levels there is. From bad to good, everyone improves in their own time and we need to be friendly against the “bad” players more than just calling them out on every mistake they do because it doesn’t help the case at all.

Telsa
Basic Tree

Postby Telsa » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:37 am

The altercation between you and Milt is a huge tell for me. I know Milt and I 100% trust when he says you're stalling, especially because you responded with "Well I was trying to win." instead of "I wasn't stalling." You've set up this convenient condition where you're a lone wolf so you don't have to respect the criticism of "people from the toxic clique". so you just want to pass it off as a disagreement. If you actually can't identify stalling, and you still feel equip to come to a forum and debate it, I feel like you're a really stubborn person who's stubbornness attracts toxic interactions. You're going to need to define toxic or start calling out specific names because otherwise I feel confident attributing you're issues to that.

As far as how Aze treats new players, I actually find its the semi-noob pubs who flip their shit whenever a little bit of feed happens from a noobie. Aze players seem to try and help new guys, at least when they respond, most don't. I personally try to throw out the discord when I see names I recognize, just to make people feel involved even if the channel isn't too relevant to shit, as we all know it's mainly Icekang preaching and Poe being cringey.

Yarragon
Treant

Postby Yarragon » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:00 pm

This thread is slowly approaching meme levels holy shit.
"Sura is a God dude, like for real."
-Burn/Timmy/Avion

Return to “Island Defense”