The toxicity in this community

Moderators: Remixer, IAmDragon

Yetdefect
Resource Storage

Re: The toxicity in this community

Postby Yetdefect » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:14 pm

@DJHentaiDaddy Actually, it's pretty claer that you just don't understand the difference there. can't be bothered trying to talk to you or @e0e0e0e0, since you're both clearly opposed to even having a discussion.

My goal isn't to tell that the entire group is disgusting, and the people are beyond rescue. What I'm trying to say is, lighten up the mood a little. And I am not here to talk about my experience yesterday. So please shift your focus if you wanna actually join in the discussion -.-

Telsa
Basic Tree

Postby Telsa » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:32 pm

You have absolutely no idea what a strawman is if you think I'm making one. I've read my own post 2 times and I can't even figure out where you think I'm changing you're arguement. I could see how you could confuse me as evading or, over emphasizing an irrelevant detail, but what point are you making that I'm attacking to begin with, that you think I am misrepresenting?

Milt accused you of stalling, you directly responded to that with "I don't want to get banned on ENT hosted games for playing titan and actually just trying to win as a titan." Milt says "I could submit banrequest for stalling." You go. "I don't want to get banned for trying to win." My response is a conclusion from this interaction that you aren't very good at island defense, yet you claim you are. You don't even have an argument for me to attack there I'm just drawing a conclusion from things you have said.

If you say "I like sucking dicks." and I go "Well you are probably gay" you can't go "OMFG STRAWMAN HE'S MISREPRESENTING ME AS GAY WHEN I AM STRAIGHT ILLOGICAL PHALACY IT SAYS RIGHT HERE IN MY GRADE 11 PHALACY CODEBOOK". You can't forbid me from using rational thinking in protest that I didn't don't conclude exactly what you want me to like your personal pyschic ermugodlogicalphallacy. For a Strawman to happen you need to have an arguement to misrepresent, you can't call everything that isn't the conclusion YOU want me to make a strawman. You're looking at your list of logical fallacies and matching the one that looks like it fits best to invalidate my arguement as some kind of cheat code. It doesn't make you look well read it just makes you impossible to deal with.

As far as what am I on about, I'll explain my proposition one last time.

You've positioned yourself as an adversary to the ID Community several times through self admittance, you don't want to be identified with it and you're directly calling it out here.That, in combination with the fact that you just aren't as good at ID, as concluded by the Stalling disagreement with Milt, means you're going to be in positions where your looking to disagree, because that's what adversaries do. You get called out on something, you are either too uninformed to understand why you are being called out on that thing, or you know you made a misplay but out of pride will put up a front as if you are right anyway. You will start an argument with this person, you presenting a stubborn front either through ego or an uninformed nature. You general, mutally, a toxic report with this person or persons, and then project this toxicity onto the community as a whole.

So now you come to the forums to complain about the community being toxic, and how they should throw flowers on your stubborn ignorant nature and not make you feel bad for being wrong and not admitting it. Maybe take responsibility for your own sensitivity before you bring your menstrual cycle to the forums.
These users thanked the author Telsa for the post:
vex193 (Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:34 pm)

Yarragon
Treant

Postby Yarragon » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:54 pm

I would also like to point out this is the wrong forum, and that Yetdefect has specifically said he made this in response to having gotten angry at losing more than a few games and a bad experience.

At this point it's all just considered spam. But digressing from that, attacking the community (even though you're simply making 'observations' they are broad, general, and sweeping) is just the same as the experience you yourself have had.
"Sura is a God dude, like for real."
-Burn/Timmy/Avion

Remixer
Forest Walker

Postby Remixer » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:32 pm

Time to take a deep breath and calm down.

Before you go get your swords and arms I'd recommend you to think whether it is worth it or beneficial for anyone to go bash other people or parts of the community. A lot of you people here seem to forget that different people play Island Defense (like any other game) for different, their own, reasons. May it be fun, competition or just show-off their skills. It does not matter. However when you go around insulting others as "ignorant" "stubborn", "trash" and use terms like "you suck" and write in arrogant manner, then something is off. What surprises me the most is that so many people, that I know, go (seemingly gladly) to harass other people on the official forums without thinking a second whether or not it is for the good or the bad for the community itself or even for themselves. That saddens me. Truly. One major goals I've had when becoming one the developers has been making Island Defense more popular (again) and make the community bigger.

When I 'joined' the community I clearly saw a split-up community, so huge lack of communication that there were several people who did not even want to talk to the "other side" of the community and some people who were just cut-out from discussions and were given absolutely no attention to. I like to think the people who I talk about know who they are. And I hope I've managed to improve the situation, even slightly. Surely I haven't made you the best friends with your old adversaries but I hope that you at least can approach me comfortably.

When a person makes a topic on the forums I hope that people actually read it and think about it, before they reply. If some one says he feels that the community is toxic and hostile then perhaps the best thing is not to go joking around with your friends about it, or to claim it is not toxic with no arguments. And for sure not attacking and harassing the person - he made the topic and wrote what he thought and felt, respect it. Ignore the topic or contribute, but respect the people who write here. It's not like we're too many here. It's not like we have too many topics created.

This is not the first time the toxicity and intolerance of particular people our group(s) of people has been brought to my attention. There has been several occasions where I can hear a person call another names (without them hearing it) and saying how some one is 'always wrong' and 'not worth to listen'. When that is the case, then there is something wrong with the community. Sure, it does happen when enough people with different motives and goals are put together, but the generality of said comments and opinions (claims even) is not normal or healthy anymore.

I hope this discussion and topic has given even a slight moment of realization to every one. In future please try to think if what you say or do is beneficial. If you want to see the community crumble and hate itself and each other, then so be it. But hopefully that is not the case. I at least try to be friendly towards every one and listen to every one (even when told not to). And remember that every time you call some one names or 'give constructive feedback' to some one it does remind me torn-up community I am trying to patch-up. Who knows. Maybe its something people just don't desire.

Locking the topic.
These users thanked the author Remixer for the post (total 3):
idtitan (Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:38 pm) • Panopticon (Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:35 pm) • Merex (Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:51 pm)

Return to “Island Defense”