Biggest problems in Island Defense (With suggestions)

Moderators: Remixer, IAmDragon

What are the biggest problems for Island Defense at the moment?

Game is not noob friendly
23%
Unbalanced builders/titans
8%
Staller titans
11%
Builders who leave when they are about to feed or give a minion
9%
Builders who AFK into the observer slot preventing full house games
5%
Builders have nothing to do if they die and just AFK/QUIT
11%
Broken ELO system
9%
Everyone wants to play builder instead of titan
21%
Other
3%

Total votes: 75

Neco
Treant Protector

Re: Biggest problems in Island Defense (With suggestions)

Postby Neco » Mon May 04, 2015 7:59 pm

There are instructions already in the guide (quest) menu. New players simply don't read or try...
Former Editor of Island Defense - ENTID Rules

Dr_CoolHaus
Aura Tree

Postby Dr_CoolHaus » Mon May 04, 2015 8:19 pm

Neco wrote:There are instructions already in the guide (quest) menu. New players simply don't read or try...

Reading while playing a game? How dare you suggest such blasphemy!

Stealer
Protector of Nature

Postby Stealer » Mon May 04, 2015 8:37 pm

Neco wrote:New players simply don't read

Quest menu doesn't really teach you how to play but yeah new players really don't read. A few do but the vast majority don't.

Burn
Protector of Nature

Postby Burn » Tue May 05, 2015 1:32 am

99% of players do not read tooltips. When I start a new custom game, I do not read tooltips either. Instead I just get someone to teach me or copy exactly what another "pro" does. This works especially well in games with easy playstyles like Legion TD and Island Defense. The thing is - most games do not give the player sufficient time to read tooltips but tooltips are still always needed in every game in case really do. The player learns faster by learning the playstyle than by obtaining mechanics, which is why the tooltips need to be as short as possible and provide the most information it can with a character limit.

-F9 Quests fix:
Spoiler!
Expand on the F9 quests, and if someone types -teech, it tells them to also check out F9 quests for more information. I just checked out F9 quests, and it just tells the builder to wall off the entrance to a base and tower at the back of it, and how to get gold.

Instead, it needs to tell new players to give a "pro" shared control so that more experienced players can teach them.
It should also tell them:
- 1x1 titan's size and walls to prevent titan from passing through.
- Be careful of the titan when he is not on the minimap due to windwalk and always stay in seeds or walls if thats the case.
- Never to tower base and ask someone to build the base for them, because learning how to tower base is nearly impossible just by text.
- A tinyurl.com link to an islanddefense.org guide like this and a youtube guide like tinyurl.com/idguide2. Hell, most players still don't know how to full deny bases and wall properly. 90% of players should watch this youtube video.

-teech fix:
Have an island like Island Troll tribes, but on the island show how you can wall off choke points from titan with walls and visually explain how the titan can not pass 1x1 gaps because they are too fat. (titans and hunters are 1.5x1.5 units)

Could make separate islands to show that the lumber bases

Put a few tips in for noobs if they type -teach/-teech, and ping some easy lumber base spots like burnbase, or other one entrance bases with an escape seed route.

If they type -teech, they will also get notifications on lumber base that the titan is killing their workers and the game will ping and remind the player that workers feed a lot of experience to the titan which makes him level up and get too strong.

Tooltips fix:

What league of legends did right is make the tooltips as short as possible so that the tooltips are worth reading. It provides only flat stats and short descriptions of the active/passive and whether it stacks or not.

The DotA2 one is pretty good too with only one or two lines per item of text description using a small sized font. (I have 2k+ games of DotA2 and I still haven't read these)

Island Defense could do a tooltip do-over, but unfortunately tooltip do-overs are a tedious job. Because of this, this will slow down Neco's balance updates and bug fixes and should be a collaborative effort by the public to improve tooltips.

EDIT: I also love shadowzz's idea of giving item or skill builds to titan, there should also be these kinds of windows for builder tips.

-Burn

narbtit
Forest Walker

Postby narbtit » Tue May 05, 2015 2:28 pm

Honestly I don't want Neco wasting too much time on this noob problem rather than adding new content. Bothers me that he even has to do this.

Burn
Protector of Nature

Postby Burn » Wed May 06, 2015 12:27 am

He can just put it on his list of things to do - if he feels like doing it he will.

-Burn

Haunt
Oversight Staff

Postby Haunt » Wed May 06, 2015 3:11 pm

To be honest, biggest problem in ID are Radio's with 2.3k health.

Nigth2
Forest Walker

Postby Nigth2 » Thu May 07, 2015 3:12 am

Spin-off the game and fusion it with LOAP, making LOAP ID. Make all ragers, bobs and dumbs go to it, so they can be entertained, with a noob friendly game, featuring ID.
Fair enough, isn't it.
aka RunForRestRun
or RumForRestRum

Return to “Island Defense”