Gem TD+ 1.4.0 Released

Moderator: nvs

nvs
Forest Walker

Gem TD+ 1.4.0 Released

Postby nvs » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:22 am

Gem TD+ 1.4.0 is probably the largest release to date, at least behind the scenes. It involves a massive rewrite of much of the code. Effectively the entire core of the map. It also includes a revamped build system, that makes development much easier.

This release includes a few noteworthy player changes. For starters, the short wait after selecting a gem has been removed. This means that the option to 'Downgrade' is now presented alongside other actions, such as 'Keep' or 'Combine'. The ReRunner has also been removed. Together, these changes should shave roughly 5-10 minutes off the average game.

Look here for a full list of changes, or check in the game under `Information (F9)`.

To obtain the map, either download it or use ENT Link to host it using the information below.

• Download:
    Gem TD Plus 1.4.0.w3x
    (463.39 KiB) Downloaded 245 times
  • Load code: `fg55j`
  • File name: `Gem TD Plus 1.4.0.w3x`
Last edited by nvs on Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author nvs for the post:
CluelessFlamer (Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:07 pm)

nvs
Forest Walker

Re: Gem TD+ 1.4.0 Released

Postby nvs » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:26 am

Updated as of 2017-07-14 to mark the release of 1.4.0.

Jabba41
Protector of Nature

Postby Jabba41 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:34 pm

Updated.
Send me your best Sloth pictures for instant unban*

*individual results may vary

bezdak
Corrupted Treant

Postby bezdak » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:32 pm

Very good job nvs :)
"Flame don´t make people play better" - Wolke

CluelessFlamer
Aura Tree

Postby CluelessFlamer » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:07 pm

Wonderful job nvs! Selection delay gone, hotkeys for the xtra chance... makes it much more "user friendly".
On the ReRunner: I certainly get why you removed it. Im not a 100% sure wether I like it to see it go though. Some players regard Gem TD as a bit of a race (not only for the bonus gold) and the ReRunner was an element which "evaluated" your maze at level 25. Some players lose time there cause they play the long game (the goal being to kill the dmg test for instance) and I found the ReRunner to be a nice little way to encourage me to find the fastest/most efficient way to beat Gem TD.

nvs
Forest Walker

Postby nvs » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:54 am

As far as I'm concerned, Gem TD is a race. I'm sure there are many players who agree with me. And for those that don't, there will be options to play however they wish. A primary goal of this project is to enable all sorts of playstyles and strategies. As it stands, that goal is still in the distance.

The removal of the ReRunner was done for the following reasons:

1. A primary goal of this project is to make games both faster and more engaging. In short, making them feel more exciting from start to finish. For the vast majority of players, both new and existing, the ReRunner more or less translated into a punishing time sink.
  2. The design of the ReRunner was biased in favor of a limited number of strategies. These same strategies all ultimately converge on the same single strategy that dominants the game as we know it: stun lock, armor reduction, and stacking single target damage. Removal of the ReRunner allows greater flexibility in choices as players will no longer feel pressured to overcome this punishing obstacle. It is not a long term solution, but it is a very good short term one.
  3. The long term plan is to introduce more wave variety than what exists now, all in an attempt to increase the number of strategies that exist. I opted to remove the ReRunner knowing I will add smaller, less punishing, bosses in the future.

CluelessFlamer
Aura Tree

Postby CluelessFlamer » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:56 am

Hi @nvs

thank you for replying to feedback. Today I have a little bit of a stupid question. I thought the current way to get a Stone of Bryvx was to roll 3 perfects of any kind. However, in a recent game that didnt seem to be the case. So can you pls clarify on how to combine a Stone of Bryvx in 1.4.0 ?

Best wishes

nvs
Forest Walker

Postby nvs » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:58 pm

@CluelessFlamer

The current way to get the Stone of Bryvx in 1.4.0 is the same as in previous versions (if you exclude the glitch, which was removed): four perfects of the same kind.

All player facing changes are listed in the changelog (which is also available in-game). The change you're thinking of has not been implemented yet. However, it is listed in the plan and slotted for a future version.

brownin
Basic Tree

Postby brownin » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:01 pm

@CluelessFlamer

I have played literally thousands of games of Gem TD on wc3, sc2 & Dota 2 and have only seen the stone of god/stone of bryvx twice.
1 time was me getting it, the other a friend, so the chances are really really slim.
If you ever do manage it I'd love to see the outcome of that game :)

Return to “Gem TD+”