Gem TD+ 1.5.0 Testing

Moderator: nvs

nvs
Forest Walker

Gem TD+ 1.5.0 Testing

Postby nvs » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:12 am

Gem TD+ 1.5.0 is nearing release. However, a bit of testing and some polish is still required. If you encounter any bugs or have suggestions, please share them. Check the 1.5.0 project page to track progress on the release.

Check back here from time to time to find the latest optimized testing version. When reporting bugs or other issues, please indicate the version played.

Notable Changes
  • Extra Chance rework. The primary goals have been to make cold streaks less common and increase options when approaching the move. There are new pros and cons that should make gameplay both more exciting and challenging.
  • Combine rework. The ability to Combine has been split into distinct Combine (2x) and Combine (4x) actions. Additionally, Combine (3x) has been added and is functionally equivalent to Combine (4x) (that is, it will skip a quality).
  • New one-hit slate combination move. When presented with, for example, both Hold and Air slates a single round, the player will now be able to create the Ancient slate directly.
  • Various balance adjustments to the following towers: Silver, Sterling Silver, Silver Knight, Mighty Malachite, Fire Star, Yellow Sapphire, Star Yellow Sapphire, Ancient Blood Stone, Spell Slate, and Elder Slate.
  • Board/UI update. The position of the clock has been moved, and the board will now keep track of your DPS, rank, and Damage Test status.

Look here for a full list of changes, or check in the game under `Information (F9)`.

Last edited by nvs on Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:19 am, edited 19 times in total.

CluelessFlamer
Aura Tree

Re: Gem TD+ 1.5.0 Testing

Postby CluelessFlamer » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:15 pm

Haven't tested yet but wanted to provide my initial thoughts:

Instead, there is now a bonus that increases when you miss your intended target. This bonus will continue to grow and make it much more likely than before to be offered the target. Additionally, Extra Chance will remain active for the entire placement round.

So when I extra chance a perfect opal I will have an increased chance for 2 of them? Maybe the chance for a second one should slightly decrease within the same round.
When using it for a Slate, a player will no longer be offered the target slate directly but rather the components that can make the slate.

Does that mean when I extra chance a range slate I will have the extra chance/2 for a range or damage slate or will it increase the chance for a Ruby?
In addition, a new Combine (3x) has been added that is functionally equivalent to Combine (4x) (that is, it will skip a quality)

I don't really like it. What I do like is you still working on the map. Thank you!

nvs
Forest Walker

Postby nvs » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:18 am

Thanks for your feedback. You should definitely give the testing version a try.

CluelessFlamer wrote:So when I extra chance a perfect opal I will have an increased chance for 2 of them? Maybe the chance for a second one should slightly decrease within the same round.

I am balancing around the notion of Extra Chance being active the entire round and the odds for the target Perfect remaining static. This is by design, and has an interesting side effect at the maximum bonus. Namely, that you would get nothing but Opals of varying qualities, for example.

However, it should be noted that the general conception of Extra Chance is based in a world where gold is plentiful. You can, and probably should, use Extra Chance every round. Down the line, with balancing in regards to resources highly likely, Extra Chance will be something to save for and plan around instead of just another action you perform every round. There is certainly a bit of work to be made before getting to that point.

CluelessFlamer wrote:Does that mean when I extra chance a range slate I will have the extra chance/2 for a range or damage slate or will it increase the chance for a Ruby?

The old Extra Chance offered the slate itself. The standard way of creating a slate is by having the Normal and Flawed components. The reworked Extra Chance utilizes the standard way and you will no longer get the slate directly. So yes, if you use Extra Chance on Range Slate you will have increased chances for Normal Ruby, Flawed Ruby, and Flawed Topaz. It is possible that some details may change during testing; for example, having the targets be combination slates like Elder. But the notion that you will get the slate component gems is here to stay.

CluelessFlamer wrote:I don't really like [Combine (3x)].

As far as Combine (3x), it is still relatively rare in practice. And its impact on a game is minimal, at best (and the numbers back up that notion). For the time being it will be analogous to Combine (4x). However, a distinction will most likely be introduced down the line (e.g. a cost). What it does provide is another option for players to approach their luck, especially early game.

CluelessFlamer
Aura Tree

Postby CluelessFlamer » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:01 pm

Hi nvs,

my feedback after playing the 1.5.0 and dying on level 42.
Removing the gold bonus from Spell Slate is a great idea. Gold management is a thing again. The Jade will be much more significant.
The Extra Chance: Slate redo makes positioning gems crucial that round. Since we no longer get the Slate directly (and therefore cant build a tower on top of it) its important not to remove rocks that open gaps in the maze. Accidentally Extra Chancing a Slate twice within a round resets the cumulative bonus and does not grant a refund. Is that your way of punishing people who "set and forget" it? I would reconsider this particular change in the mechanics. Side note: Maximum multiplier for Extra Chance: Slate without success was 5x. I did not manage to get an Ancient Slate.

Overall the changes seem to make the game more challenging, something I definitely approve of! I havent lost against wave 42 for ages. This is all I can think of right now, possibly I'll provide additional thoughts later.

Cheers

nvs
Forest Walker

Postby nvs » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:16 pm

When I say set and forget I mean that the old Extra Chance does not require much more consideration than saying "this is exactly what I want, now give it to me." The reworked Extra Chance will have new pros and cons that one must acknowledge. You ran into one of those cons in regards to slates. Another con is the crowding out of gems unrelated to your target, thus limiting your options at high bonuses. This also directly makes it more likely to get your target. But bad luck does sometimes have a silver lining, as people will come to realize. As a tool, the reworked Extra Chance will be much more versatile

In regards to your replay, and we discussed this on Discord but I wanted to clarify here as well for others, the issue you ran into with your bonus being reset is mostly due to the intended UI and messages not being implemented yet. Using Extra Chance twice does not reset the bonus. Switching targets, however, does decrease the bonus. I already had come to conclusion that switching targets in 1.5.0-10 is a bit too punishing, and later versions have been adjusted accordingly.

These testing versions are more of a proof of concept of the numbers/methods involved in the Extra Chance rework. Most likely there will be some changes.

Return to “Gem TD+”