Gem TD v3.1 Bugs and Issues

Moderator: nvs

nvs
Forest Walker

Gem TD v3.1 Bugs and Issues

Postby nvs » Mon May 02, 2016 11:44 pm

Okay, so I'm trying to gather a list of known bugs and issues in Gem TD. As far as why, let's just say I'm a longtime Gem TD player with the drive and knowledge to remedy these, if I can find space in my schedule. Why now? I think Gem could be better, and I'm tired of some of these bugs and issues. Furthermore, I'd love to promote a bit of discussion regarding the map.

Edit 2016-05-17: Here is the GitHub repository I am using from this point on. I will be focusing my efforts there from now on. Now that I have taken some time to examine pretty much every version of Gem TD I could find, as well as familiarizing myself with various map making tools, work on the actual bugs will start to begin, albeit slowly. The last thing I want to do is add more.

I plan to approach updating the map in three phases: 1) Fix bugs, address glaring errors and memory leaks in the code base, and remove added cheats and other extraneous code; 2) Attempt to balance the map (this will require some planning and community feedback); 3) Perhaps attempt to increase the replay value of the map (no clue how to go about this at this juncture). I'd love to balance what already exists some, but I'm not sure how much time I have. Hopefully putting things on GitHub will ensure Gem can continue to grow and improve regardless of my involvement.

Edit 2016-05-17: Removed the issues/bugs listed here. If people want to see the currently active list, they should check the GitHub repository listed above.
Last edited by nvs on Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:48 pm, edited 25 times in total.

BeerLord
Protector of Nature

Re: Gem TD Bugs and Issues

Postby BeerLord » Tue May 03, 2016 1:46 am

The luck factor is the best part of this simple game. It makes it way harder to learn the finer points because its so much easier to attribute losing to "bad luck". Lots of long time players do wrong things, and I bet, so do I.

nvs
Forest Walker

Postby nvs » Tue May 03, 2016 5:28 am

You bring up good points, and it is important to keep all types of the players in mind. Plus you're right, I'm pretty sure luck is definitely what keeps most of us coming back for more. I definitely don't think luck should be removed.

But it's annoying seeing a full lobby disintegrate, for example, because someone got an Elder on Round 6 or a Stone of Bryvx on Round 20. Still, neither of those guarantees a win as luck can change over the course of the game. But a lot of skilled players won't stick around to find out because they know how powerful things like those are throughout the entirety of the game, especially when gotten early. That's why I said some things need balancing.

And you're right on another point, Gem is a simple game. And it should remain simple. Still, the replay value could be increased further. It is hard to say how this could be done at this point, but it is something to think about.

Regardless, my main focus is addressing the bugs and commands that shouldn't exist, without changing much of the code base initially. After that, perhaps take a step back and get input on how to approach balancing.

BeerLord
Protector of Nature

Postby BeerLord » Wed May 04, 2016 12:14 am

One bug i come across on occaision I think has been related to this: if you click to combine a slate combo at the exact moment (by chance) that a creep is killed, the program sees the combination but doesnt detect the creep kill, thus you finish the creep wave having killed only "9" of them, and the game wont spawn the next wave.

nvs
Forest Walker

Postby nvs » Wed May 04, 2016 6:01 am

Your hunch is close, and when I read it I had an aha moment. It is definitely a bug, but it isn't related to just slates. I checked the code, then jumped in and tested. Sure enough if a structure you can combine lands the killing blow, and in that exact moment you do in fact combine, then the kill will fail to register.

The reason why is that combining removes the structure from the game, even though its projectile/damage still exists. The creep dies and the check for killing a unit is made, but the `killing unit` has been removed from the map. As a result, the check fails, and the kill doesn't register.

And here I've been thinking it was the spawn system. Then again, it does need cleaning up, and I think it could have a bug related to pausing and lagging. But I see no need to test for it, as fixing up the memory leaks and whatnot will definitely resolve the issue.

Edit: I will be updating the first post from now on to add to the list of bugs, and update their status.

nvs
Forest Walker

Postby nvs » Tue May 17, 2016 10:40 pm

I already edited the first post a while back, but I wanted to make it clear that I now have a GitHub repository setup to handle my work. I will primarily be focusing my efforts there. So if anyone wants to comment on any issues or discussions I have started there, please do so. I'm still following the same plan I laid out in my first post: 1) Bug fixes; 2) Maybe balancing later; 3) Maybe further changes if warranted.

BeerLord
Protector of Nature

Postby BeerLord » Thu May 19, 2016 5:04 am

Cool, keep us posted.

nvs
Forest Walker

Postby nvs » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:34 pm

Edit 2016-07-11: The testing versions still exist, but have less of a purpose now. Those interested in them should check the repository for information on how to build the map.

Edit 2016-07-28: The original purpose of this topic is essentially now historical, given the release of Gem TD+. As such, this topic is being locked as new bug reports are being posted here, rather than having new topics created.

Return to “Gem TD+”