The Plan for Gem TD+ (Updated: 2018-11-28)

Moderator: nvs

nvs
Forest Walker

The Plan for Gem TD+ (Updated: 2018-11-28)

Postby nvs » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:30 am

The Plan for Gem TD+
Updated: 2018-11-28

Note: I do not frequent these forums as much. To get in touch, it is best to check the Discord or repository (see the information post). To get the latest version of the map, check this link: https://github.com/nvs/gem/releases/latest.

This is the general plan for Gem TD+. It is a constant work in progress and reflects the current thoughts behind the development of the map. For those interested in the development of the map and considering whether to contribute, check the GitHub repository.

Where is Gem TD+ going? To answer that question, it might be best to talk about what Gem TD+ hopes to accomplish. The primary goals of the project are adding more strategies, making games faster, fostering competition, and adding better support for all playstyles.

Right now the strategy involved in Gem is very static and well known. Everyone is ultimately testing luck in an attempt to acquire the exact same structures. True, each game of Gem could be considered a unique puzzle due to the randomness involved. But for many players, this simply is not enough to make up for there only being one dominant strategy.

As it stands, Gem simply takes too long to finish, especially when luck is subpar. Games certainly can feel slow compared to other maps. Hell, the gamblers were originally added as a distraction because of how slow 'Classic' mode was. Decreasing game duration would make Gem a more enticing choice for many players.

And in terms of supporting more playstyles, Gem has a lot of room to grow. Some people want to race other players, while others focus on the clock. Some just want an easy game, and some want something impossible. Some players are experts. Others are completely new. Some want to play in groups that have players of various playstyles and skill. All of these factors and more are being considered when approaching possible changes in Gem TD+.

Below is a list of topics that are either in the process of being implemented or strongly being considered.

Topics
  • Rated Games and Elo
  • In-game Lobbies
  • Options and Settings
  • Round Variation
  • Mazing
  • Auras on Base Gems
  • More Slates
  • More Combinations
  • Rework Tower Experience
  • Multiple Tower Bonuses

Rated Games and Elo

This was planned, and a good bit of work was done, but unforeseen circumstances (i.e. the removal of the bots) will significantly delay or hinder implementation of Elo and statistics tracking. Unless Blizzard introduces some ability in future patches to better expose replays and/or data from custom games, this is not happening.

In-game Lobbies

The idea here basically stems from a desire to allow the map to be played how a player prefers. This has been given more priority now that rated games are essentially off the chopping block. The groundwork for in-game lobbies will be introduced in 1.6.0; initially, they will allow players to restart individually or as a group within a running game. Every player could be in their own unique lobby inside the game. By default, every player will be in the same lobby.

Options and Settings

Over time support for the ability to toggle features on/off will be added. If you would like to play a game without any slates or combinations at all, that will be possible. If you want to disable new additions to have the feel of the original Gem TD, that will be possible. Almost any idea, within reason, is possible: toggling individual combinations, slates, or gem types; adding new modes; trying out experimental features; enabling debug/sandbox mode; and so on. All of that will be possible without disrupting other players.

Round Variation

Essentially, this idea comes from YouTD, at least in spirit. The details have not been decided upon, but the value in having variety in round composition (e.g. 'Mass', 'Normal', 'Champion', 'Boss') has been recognized. Something of this nature would introduce more pros and cons for strategies to build around.

But it doesn't have to stop there. Concepts such as magic resistance, physical resistance, evasion, etc. all can be considered. An increase in variety and challenges to overcome translates into an increase in choices that a player may have to make. Ultimately, this should lead to an increase in the variety of strategies employed to finish a game.

Mazing

When I think of Gem, I think of mazing as a defining feature. However, due to the static layout, mazing is essentially nothing more than rote memorization. You either spend the time to know the best mazes, or you don't.

Multiple solutions to this problem are being considered, including additional static layouts, randomized layouts, obstacles, terrain bonuses, and more. But not everything can, or should, be added to the map.

A frontrunner would be obstacles. These would come in two flavors: those that cannot be walked over or built upon; and, those that can be walked over but not built upon. Randomly placing these on a map would help to create a unique experience in every game, hopefully freshening things up a bit.

There is still a lot of room for thought regarding this topic.

Auras on Base Gems

When I say base gems, I mean the eight gem types: Amethyst, Aquamarine, Diamond, Emerald, Opal, Ruby, Topaz, and Sapphire. Currently, only Opals have an aura. And as such, the only base gems anyone actually tries to keep are Opals. The others pretty much only exist to become part of a special.

By adding auras to every base type, it is hoped that players will have more to consider when approaching their strategy and luck. This will, in a sense, give more worth to the base gems.

Here is the current, tentative, idea for auras:
  • Opal: Attack speed
  • Diamond: ?
  • Sapphire: Magic damage
  • Aquamarine: Mana regeneration
  • Ruby: ?
  • Emerald: On-hit effectiveness
  • Amethyst: ?
  • Topaz: Evasion related

I won't lie. I looked into myth and beliefs surrounding the gems in various cultures for inspiration. But, ultimately, I just had to go with what felt right, given what currently exists within the map. I can't exactly go and make Amethysts help deal with drunkenness, for example. Another big help was the player Sesamia, who encouraged me to explore what I originally considered a crazy idea.

More Slates

It is planned to add more slates. Ideally, I would like to add an additional eight base slates, and by extension an additional four combination slates. This sounds like a lot, and it is. However, the hope is to implement them in such a fashion that they will help introduce and facilitate new strategies.

Slates are available very early in the game. This fact, in conjunction with the unique nature that many of the slates possess, should give players much to consider through the entire game.

More Combinations

Initially, I had decided against this. It would break the one recipe per gem guarantee that currently exists. However, it would greatly increase options in the early game, and there are not many good ways to do that.

Rework Tower Experience

For the most part, the kill bonus system is unfinished. The question that remains is whether to continue with what has been implemented thus far or work towards something entirely different? That is still up in the air.

An idea I like is allowing combination towers to share the experience gain. For example, a Malachite would benefit from kills that other Malachites make. This would make acquiring duplicates of the same combination more worthwhile.

Multiple Tower Bonuses

Okay, I really like this idea. Basically, a bonus is introduced for each additional special of a particular type you have. Precedence for this behavior already exists with Ancient Slates. Their stunlock effectiveness basically increases for each additional one utilized.

To further explain, let me give a few examples. The attack of Dark Emeralds could begin to chain, with one additional link per tower. This would increase its stun effectiveness in groups of monsters. Or, Bloodstone's chance to trigger lightning could increase, making it a much more effective magic damage dealer. And so on.

In short, this idea would simply extend a notion that has subtlety existed in the game with Ancient Slates to all other combinations in the game.
Last edited by nvs on Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:24 pm, edited 64 times in total.
These users thanked the author nvs for the post (total 3):
Fr4nzm4nn (Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:28 pm) • Pikachu_ (Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:17 am) • Essenze (Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:07 am)

noxxish
Forest Walker

Re: The plan for Gem TD+

Postby noxxish » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:00 am

Nice write up, I used to play Gem TD before slates, but never got into the whole 'glitch' thing even if losing i refused to use it. I had my own particulars on style and mazing. This looks like all good ideas, my only concern is adding so much will it create lag?
"If two wrongs don't make a right, try three." Laurence J. Peter

nvs
Forest Walker

Postby nvs » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:24 pm

No, I do not see any of these additions causing lag or decreasing performance at all.

I'm not sure if you've tried Gem TD+, but the primary performance issue from the old map was addressed in Gem TD+ 1.1. I know every system is different, but often end game I used to be around 10 FPS in a maze with no creeps walking through. Now I get 60 FPS when there is no action. If anything, as time goes on and more of the code is rewritten, performance will continue to improve. Do realize that by default 60 FPS is the maximum Warcraft 3 can have.

xXxHeLLxXx
Aura Tree

Postby xXxHeLLxXx » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:33 pm

i give you the idea to rework slate jump range distance , becuz you can jump to the player next to you . Second is the bug with the double picking slate if you got two normal gems , which one can make slate . One idea would be to have bonus levels after 50 , every single player would have option if he want them , after killing 50 level test . And if you want a map checker for bugs , i can do that

nvs
Forest Walker

Postby nvs » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:59 am

Even though I did a lot of slate improvements in `1.2`, I'm still finding more issues related to them. Being able to jump a slate to another player is not a big issue, given I fixed a bug related to stealing kills in `1.0`. Still, it shouldn't be possible to jump into another player's maze. As far as the slate bug you mention, I'll look into it. Sounds similar to another bug I fixed related to 'Combine'.

As far as bonus levels, that's something to consider. But, personally, I would prefer to have the first 50 rounds more challenging. I feel an hour long game is good. If the game goes too many rounds, you'll have access to pretty much everything. The thing I'm going for is trying to add new strategies. In part, by having more things that people will be able to get. But I'll think on it.
Last edited by nvs on Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xXxHeLLxXx
Aura Tree

Postby xXxHeLLxXx » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:40 am

You can make the first spot to be able for combining in maze because in some version it is, this makes more mazing skills to think how to combine in best. slates just can go jump on other players levels and get their kills , that mean both players will get stucked at one level . the pick of two slate at one level is very bad becuz you get double level and the slate doesnt stack and cant be combined/ for example , you have flawed emerald and 3 normal amethyst , that air slate , you pickall amethysts and click fast at slate option buton , that makes double even more spawn and you jump 1 or 2 levels .Dont worry for game , make the spawn a bit faster becuz after you select gem you wait 7-8 seconds , if you make this time to 1 second you will make the game a bit faster/ I dont think this 1 hour is too much , and this bonus would be if the player want so ? if one player want to play a bit more and wait his friend to finish , or something like that.

nvs
Forest Walker

Postby nvs » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:20 pm

@xXxHELLxXx

xXxHeLLxXx wrote:You can make the first spot to be able for combining in maze because in some version it is, this makes more mazing skills to think how to combine in best.

It took me a good while to realize what you were trying to say. No, this won't happen. I will support two mazing styles: the original 'Bryvx' layout; and, a new randomized layout. Nothing more.

xXxHeLLxXx wrote:slates just can go jump on other players levels and get their kills , that mean both players will get stucked at one level.

nvs wrote:Being able to jump a slate to another player is not a big issue, given I fixed a bug related to stealing kills in `1.0`.

Like I said, I have already fixed the kill stealing issue. It was not isolated to just slates. By the way, this was fixed in Gem TD+ 1.0.

xXxHeLLxXx wrote:the pick of two slate at one level is very bad becuz you get double level and the slate doesnt stack and cant be combined/ for example , you have flawed emerald and 3 normal amethyst , that air slate , you pickall amethysts and click fast at slate option buton , that makes double even more spawn and you jump 1 or 2 levels.

I had not realized this bug existed. Anyways, I already know the exact cause and fix. Progress can be tracked here.

xXxHELLxXx wrote:Dont worry for game , make the spawn a bit faster becuz after you select gem you wait 7-8 seconds , if you make this time to 1 second you will make the game a bit faster/ I dont think this 1 hour is too much

As far as speeding up the game, I agree. I too think there are places it can be made faster. But you have to realize the existing code relies on lag/pause susceptible waits. Simply removing or decreasing these waits can break the map, causing crashes and other bugs. It just depends on where they are. Pretty much I have to rewrite most of the map.

nvs
Forest Walker

Re: The Plan for Gem TD+ (Updated: 2016-11-21)

Postby nvs » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:40 am

Updated as of 2016-11-21 with new information. Most of the listed information includes things that are currently being worked on, or have a very high likelihood of being added to the map.

nvs
Forest Walker

Re: The Plan for Gem TD+ (Updated: 2017-03-19)

Postby nvs » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:21 am

Updated as of 2017-03-19. This changed a fair bit of the information presented, as various ideas have been scrapped, others added, and still others further refined. Information regarding the in-progress 1.4.0 release has been moved here.

nvs
Forest Walker

Re: The Plan for Gem TD+ (Updated: 2017-06-19)

Postby nvs » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:20 pm

Updated as of 2017-06-19. Mostly discussion of the scope of 1.4.0 being lessened, as well as touching upon a few other important changes in the upcoming release.

nvs
Forest Walker

Re: The Plan for Gem TD+ (Updated: 2017-06-28)

Postby nvs » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:57 am

Updated as of 2017-06-28. Added discussion regarding rated games in the 1.5.0 release, which in turn pushes other changes to the 1.6.0 release.

Pikachu_
Armored Tree

Re: The Plan for Gem TD+ (Updated: 2017-07-14)

Postby Pikachu_ » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:17 am

This is dope yo. Can't wait to see what you do with the game

nvs
Forest Walker

Re: The Plan for Gem TD+ (Updated: 2017-10-12)

Postby nvs » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:43 pm

Thanks for the support.

Updated as of 2017-10-12.

dedejoe
Basic Tree

Re: The Plan for Gem TD+ (Updated: 2018-11-28)

Postby dedejoe » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:34 pm

How do I actually play the game? Where is the W3X file?

nvs
Forest Walker

Re: The Plan for Gem TD+ (Updated: 2018-11-28)

Postby nvs » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:52 am

The latest version is always available at this link: https://github.com/nvs/gem/releases/latest

Return to “Gem TD+”