Risk Devolution

Talk about other Warcraft III games here.
Memphis26
Forest Walker

Risk Devolution

Postby Memphis26 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:27 pm

Hey, i just poked around ENT forums to see if there was any chat about risk, and i saw a topic that someone wanted to change the version. I just wanna say that i have been a leader of the risk community for about 7-8 years now. The version that is hosted right now is the best one, there was some newer versions made by psycomarauder but those versions is almost a simple copy with some bad changes,(I think psyco just wanted his name on the map). you would lose a lot of people if you would change to this version. And also Clan VoR@europe the biggest and most active risk clan with around 130 active members would stop play pubs(except a few ones.) Psycomarauder made a diffrent risk game around 6 years ago called Risk Next Gen which is a pretty decent and fun map and well balanced, but the risk Devolution attempts he tried to make is very bad, so please don't change them. If anything you should add that there needs to be 9 players to start the game, 8 players is sadly to few.

Anyways the leaders of the risk community is working on maybe making a updated devo version, if it will be balanced and a better version we in the risk community will use it and hopefully you will autohost that version to, but we aren't there just yet, we'll see what happends. Also a proper elo-ranking for FFA, we got ranked 1on1 league which works very well, if our guy who created this risk-elo-ranking-system wants, we would love if ENT could use it in the public autohost for FFA aswell, looking at the rankings/elo system now, they are just so wrong. Is this something u guys would be interested in? If we create a better ranking system, would you use it?

I also saw some post about changing the autohost from Risk Devo to Risk Next Gen and that the community wants that, thats sadly a lie, Risk Next Gen always had a much smaller fan-base than Risk Devo, people mainly played it because it had a nice site and a ranking system, Risk Devo was always more popular with a much bigger community, tournaments and clan and stuff like that, also Risk Devo is a much more skilled game, if you were a 'pro' in Devo u would win a RNG very easy. Maybe i sound biased but i actually tried to set up 2 RNG clans 2009 and 2011 with the help from some others, but they failed cause the community really didn't exist, also cause there was too much interest for Risk Devo.

And i know u guys have moderators, but if you have problems with solving risk reports(there can't be that many) i can always help out, with my experiance i know the game and people very well
Anyways thanks for reading, if you guys wonder anything about risk u can just pm me here or go to channel 'Clan VoR' @Europe, i use the name 'Kungen[LcR]'

And thanks for hosting Risk Devo!

aRt)Y
Protector of Nature

Re: Risk Devolution

Postby aRt)Y » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:06 pm

A few things:
* You having the clan makes you the leader of the community? Who are the "leaders"?
* What's so bad about changes? Why dont you work with the developer together? Why dont you give him feedback?
* If you want to help ENT by moderating games, you should follow the procedure. We will not hire users for specific tasks only.

Anyways the leaders of the risk community is working on maybe making a updated devo version
Does it mean there is currently something in development or not? Where do people post their feedback?

And what's your ("the leaders' ") relation with the current developer (good/bad)?
    Information, Rules, Guides and everything else you need to know about ENT is on the ENT Wiki.
      Ignorantia juris non excusat • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? • Fallacy of composition

Memphis26
Forest Walker

Postby Memphis26 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:13 pm

Well, it's pretty much me and 3-4 other main persons that has been leading the risk community for the last years, organizing everything and keeping the community alive, do you want names?

It's kind of hard to explain to you unless you ever played risk alot, but i'll try. The changes that Psycomarauder made was very bad, because he tried mixing Risk Next Gen(his game) with Risk Devo, he changed the map a bit and added alot of stuff to the units which suited him and the few 'Risk Next Gen' fanbase, even tho many RNG players didn't enjoy it, they simply played it because it was the only map being hosted at that time. We did give him a lot of feedback and told him what would be better, me and around 50 other guys, but he wouldn't listen he wanted his way, trust me we tried talking with him about this for years without coming anywhere. Thats why his game is dead today, he messed it up by himself, he should have stuck with his first Risk Next Gen game he made. Now hes gone, and a very old player came back online recently and talked about making an updated version and a new loading screen. We in the risk community thought this was a great idea because we know this person and know he wont fuck it up, we would also get along on what changes we want, Psyco would just do whatever he wanted.
I did not say i wanted to be a moderator, i just said if you guys have any issue with some risk reports i can help you out.

We have a good relation to this new developer and right now we have just had talks about what we want to change, thats about it, i will get back to you guys as soon as i know more.

For the ranking stuff i think we can make that happen pretty soon if you guys are interested. I'll have the guy who makes the ranking system write more about it here.

aRt)Y
Protector of Nature

Postby aRt)Y » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:06 am

Well, that sounds good. If the new developer has access to the original map and will be working closely together with you, then ENT will support it, too.

Regarding the stats, ENT uses the standard W3MMD for ELO.

Have you got an official forum or something?
    Information, Rules, Guides and everything else you need to know about ENT is on the ENT Wiki.
      Ignorantia juris non excusat • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? • Fallacy of composition

alf321
Resource Storage

Postby alf321 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:38 pm

Apologize for the delay but it was the summer hollydays and the activity went down a little. I just saw this topic at the moment.
I quickly present myself, Alf321 a quite new shaman of clan vor created by memphis26.
We had a website but i just saw he is down and the name was reatributed...
We had on this website our forums, a ranking system and we (memphis26) organized some tournaments of 1v1 risk devolution on challonge.
There is still a risk community due to the popularity of risk devo described by memphis26.
It would be so great if that ranking system was remade for risk devo.
I ll try to wake up the community and give you some news about memphis26 wishes as soon as I can.

T-34
Aura Tree

Postby T-34 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:08 pm

I am actually in a big Risk clan, Clan BHoR (Brotherhood of Risk). Ironically, I have only played a handful of risk games in the last few years. BHoR is a great clan. I have been in many clans over the years, being Chieftain, Shaman, etc, but in BHoR I am only a grunt. BHoR has lots of mapmakers, good players and everyone is always respectful. It is really a gem among the rough, I have not been in any other WC3 as good as this one.

I wasn't aware other Risk clans even existed, lol! If you want to get a Risk game going, Memphis26, come to Clan BHoR on USEast. I admit I personally don't play much risk, but a lot of the folks there play it all day... every day. By the way, Clan BHoR plays everything. Boreal Conflict, Greece, Legion TD, any map really.

Sorry for plugging my clan in, but it is a really good clan. You'll have no trouble getting Risk games to fill if you stop by our channel.

StoPCampinGn00b
Armored Tree

Postby StoPCampinGn00b » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:50 pm

I'm in BHoR as well. The thing I was disappointed in is that our clan doesn't know much about the other risk clans due to being on east and having it's main game WoW risk. Those who play WoW risk are more inclined to have relations to Azeroth Wars (diplomunion.com represent) than traditional risk maps. But yeah, there a multiple Devo 2.3 and RNG / 2.9 clans across Europe. The RNG ones died along with risknextgen.com 's domain being sold due to inability to pay for it.

Oh crap, it's Kungen. Damn good player. I support memphis' / alf's proposals but disagree with what memphis said about Psyco Marauder's map.

Sorry if this is a bit off topic:
Risk Devo is a much more skilled game, if you were a 'pro' in Devo u would win a RNG very easy.

Are we talking Devo 2.3 vs RNG world map or Devo 2.3 vs Devo 2.9 (RNG Europe)? The RNG world map simply required less skill because of the geography. Couldn't do much about it.

Devo 2.3 and 2.9 are both equally skilled. 2.3 focuses more on micro, 2.9 focuses more on counters, like WoW risk but much less extreme. So in 2.3, the units used are 90% of the time the same in battles. That gets stale in my opinion. In 2.9, the different classes of ships and tanks are frequently used. Adds some variety. It's not to the point of WoW and Middle Earth risk where microing is toned down extremely, but to the point where a battles outcome comes down to very few factors (2.3)

In theory, Psyco's version should appeal to the public. And it did. You know what it did not appeal to? The elitists, the ones who we're really good at 2.3. Those guys gave him hate and created a divide in the Devo community. That is the reason his game is dead today. Those 50 people should have just stayed with the 2.3 version instead of fighting over the direction of Psyco's game. There was enough hostility going on that people playing RNG just dropped out of it.
HiveWorkshop.com representative, Chieftain of Clan THW @ Northrend.
Also member on Diplomunion.com, Brigandshaven.net, GamerIsle.org, and more.
WC3 Multiplayer, Clans and Arrangements

alf321
Resource Storage

Postby alf321 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:14 pm

Ok, it seems there is still activity around risk devo. I don't want to enter in the argue about devo 2.3 and 2.9. 2.3 seems to be popular enough and a change would just kill the risk community.
All i would like is a good ranking system for Pub ffa risk devo hosted by ent gaming.
You just have to take a look about games and how ELOs are given and who are classified as best players, you ll understand if you play only one game with a new account you have more chance to be ranked first or top ten instead of with a profile you play a lot with 90% of victories during hundreds games (which is harder by far ^^).
I know stats isn't essential but it can give more interest for players.

Sumun
Basic Tree

Postby Sumun » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:46 pm

Having a ranking system will improve not only the game frequency but also the quality and will to win it. Nowadays games are full of people that doesn't care about winning or get mad about a single player and gives away the win. I used to play ranked RNG and the gameplay changes a lot when you play for rank.

PS: don't hate on Psyco he did a lot for the game, and his site went down due to lack of support.

Memphis26
Forest Walker

Postby Memphis26 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:03 pm

Yeah, bhor on east is very dead, compared to the now pretty dead europe. Before the summer i tried to get the people from bhor to come to europe, but i didn't really find any active ones. Maybe i was just having bad timing, but i didn't find anyone. And when i checked bhor's battlenet site there was like 10 players who had been online within the last 10 days, and the rest had like 100+days offline. Ranking and that stuff can still be organized if you guys want it.

And btw the RNG site that was used for RNG was not psyco's, his partner newrelic was the one who did all the site/bot work, psyco did the maps tho.

Memphis26
Forest Walker

Postby Memphis26 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:05 pm

Even if europe seems pretty dead atm for Risk, Clan VoR still has like 20-30 players loggin online every day, so if you guys are looking for a community go there.

StoPCampinGn00b
Armored Tree

Postby StoPCampinGn00b » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:22 pm

Hold on, what about the new risk map with a ranking system you proposed? Is that still going to be a thing?
HiveWorkshop.com representative, Chieftain of Clan THW @ Northrend.
Also member on Diplomunion.com, Brigandshaven.net, GamerIsle.org, and more.
WC3 Multiplayer, Clans and Arrangements

T-34
Aura Tree

Postby T-34 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:52 am

Memphis26 wrote:Yeah, bhor on east is very dead, compared to the now pretty dead europe. Before the summer i tried to get the people from bhor to come to europe, but i didn't really find any active ones. Maybe i was just having bad timing, but i didn't find anyone. And when i checked bhor's battlenet site there was like 10 players who had been online within the last 10 days, and the rest had like 100+days offline. Ranking and that stuff can still be organized if you guys want it

BHoR is very much alive. Some clown got shaman and kicked almost everyone from the clan. Tragedy! How did they get shaman I do not know. I had to rejoin but many are still clanless.

By the way, no one switches from east to northrend ;). ((The biggest reason is time difference. We play when u sleep and vice-versa)) Make an account on euro sure, but no one switches.

Memphis26 wrote:Even if europe seems pretty dead atm for Risk, Clan VoR still has like 20-30 players loggin online every day, so if you guys are looking for a community go there.

Nope! BHoR all the way! Used to have like 9-10 people in the channel at almost any time and more during prime time hours. But only half playing risk ;-). BHoR baby! Can't beat it. I have to represent because, you know, internet cred is everything. Jk...

Memphis26
Forest Walker

Postby Memphis26 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:58 pm

T-34 I don't want to be rude or so, but clearly Bhor live in its own little bubble, i don't even think bhor is a 100 % risk clan?
Anyway since around 2010 when many players quit wc3, most risk players from east and west started playing on europe, all the main players and leaders, which led to 24/7 activity on europe in clan EuR/DLS(2010-2014)and now VoR 2015-(though vor is not as active) So for you to say that people never switched from east to europe just shows how little u guys know or have been involved in the risk community. Also you say you had 9 players in the channel, on weekends we used to have 40(full) and a few extra in our sub clan channel EuR2 or DLS2, though sundays were the day we usually hosted tournaments.
You guys really missed out, we had ranking systems, tournaments 1on1, 2on2, 3on3, nation tournaments and all sorts of battles. I found out about clan Bhor just before this summer and was very suprised cause i didn't think it existed any other risk clan, shortly after i found out bhor was very inactive at this point, i tried to recruit the active ones but since they weren't really risk players they didn't feel like joining europe and a pure risk clan. The time diffrence is only 6 hours between east and central europe so the time diffrence was never really an issue. The boss in clan VoR atm is from us.east, his name is Unteroffizier. I feel like u guys missed out on a lot of stuff, there was even a risk history written on europe with loads of links to all old tournaments which would back me up here and also a lot of players from west/east are mentioned, it also had a top 20 or 30 all time risk players. I'll try and find this history and post it somewhere

Anyway like i said, i don't want to be rude, but u BHor guys got a lot to learn ;)
Last edited by Memphis26 on Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Memphis26
Forest Walker

Postby Memphis26 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:59 pm

And I will talk to the ranking guy next time i see him, he's pretty busy atm but im pretty sure he will let ENT use the correct ranking system for FFA.

Return to “Custom Games”