DotA Match-Making

uakf.b
Staff Department

Re: DotA Match-Making

Postby uakf.b » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:19 am

@knukka I might run it briefly again this weekend. One thing that we might need to develop is something to automatically switch between match-making system and regular lobby depending on how many players are joining, if there are not enough player then everyone will anyway get matched with each other so the lobby might as well be normal.

re others: we should use trueskill / TSR (it includes not just a score/mean estimate but also a variance estimate, so new players start with high variance and the distribution moves more rapidly until gradually variance decreases); needs some development though
dWFrZi5i -- 'cause I'm cool like Agreements

MODZ
Resource Storage

Postby MODZ » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:02 pm

Why cant i find any ENT games or ENT DOTA APEM right now on the Custom Games List.. would really like to play

WineofViolence
Resource Storage

Postby WineofViolence » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:19 pm

uakf.b wrote:re others: we should use trueskill / TSR (it includes not just a score/mean estimate but also a variance estimate, so new players start with high variance and the distribution moves more rapidly until gradually variance decreases); needs some development though

Great to know you've already thought about this problem and seem to know what you're doing. Keep up the good work :)

kunkka
Treant

Postby kunkka » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:58 pm

uakf.b wrote:@knukka I might run it briefly again this weekend. One thing that we might need to develop is something to automatically switch between match-making system and regular lobby depending on how many players are joining, if there are not enough player then everyone will anyway get matched with each other so the lobby might as well be normal.

who's @knukka?

anyways if there is no difference between matchmaking and normal lobby when there are not enough players, why not just keep matching them? so you don't have to worry about the switching
These users thanked the author kunkka for the post:
Essenze (Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:20 pm)

Charon117
Resource Storage

Postby Charon117 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:42 pm

I am amazed that not many more people are commenting on this.

Generally i enjoyed the new system, although i think the !party system is too complicated to stick.

Pro:

• I enjoyed a few really balanced games. They were so balanced that most people got frustrated because the normal quick unblanced waterfall was put to a hold, and games took longer and more effort to complete
  • better matches overall
  • no stacking anymore
  • remvoal of " X players until game starts ..."
  • removal of the countdown. This way people cant exit at the last second and prolong everything. Keep that.

Cons:

• games took longer to start. You need a workaround for this, people should be able to start teh game when the lobby is full on their own accord
  • Chat is disabled by default. Thats very very bad. What is dota without its communication ? Enable it by default.
  • Some commands were not working anymore ? make sure that every known command works. the automatic sd on entry as well.

You need to find a compromise on how to not prolong the start, without giving others the chance to drop out at the last second. Something like an invisible timer or so.

Charon117
Resource Storage

Postby Charon117 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:55 pm

On the subject of smurf accounts i am of the oppinion that you should penaltise them for being smurf accounts. Something like them being muted or unable to sd anybody. People with >50 matches can allow players to talk like !enable >player<. This way people with more games get more controll over trolls, flamers and that potential toxic environment. If those people get banned on their main account they are really loosing something than. The ability to talk and or be as much part of the game as they could when behaving properly. In accordance to this admins will get less flame reports and the ones which pop up will have relevancy.

For the matchmaking i would penaltise them again. No matter what the stats say just randomely distribute them over the team, as 1000 elos.

EdgeOfChaos

Postby EdgeOfChaos » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:23 pm

- Unable to SD people: doesn't matter, we have ENT's gamepage and site
- Unable to talk: leads to low quality games, no ss calls, no working together.

If someone plays a smurf to avoid a ban, they are dodging in any case and will be 1-year banned.
Smurfs are 1000 ELO accounts so distributing them as such would make sense.

Charon117
Resource Storage

Postby Charon117 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:58 pm

EdgeOfChaos wrote:If someone plays a smurf to avoid a ban, they are dodging in any case and will be 1-year banned.

Are you confident in the system to ban the dodgers ? I mean even if they get banned for 1 year they can simply dodge again and then build up a new account. What are you gonna do ? IP range ban all of sweden ? Dodging means somebody has to make a report, a mod has to look at it, and then decide whether or not dodging has been made, which is never 100% proofable in any case. All of this requires resources from the limited amount that ENT has.

Soo ... im just saying that my suggestion is more resource friendly.

EdgeOfChaos

Postby EdgeOfChaos » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:01 am

You don't know much about dodging bans I can see... That would, in no way, help against ban dodging.

Letbell
Treant

Postby Letbell » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:14 am

I wonder if party queue w/ friends is still viable, because I was queue up with 3 different friends w/ the !queue command & somehow we still get split x.x

EDIT: from last beta :D

OrCohen92
Armored Tree

Postby OrCohen92 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:30 pm

for some reason my ping is much higher on this new version than on the old ent one.was used to get 70-80 ms, now it reaches 190.

Return to “Archive”