Prophet Draft Game Mode

Moderator: broud3r

Hakuna
Forest Walker

Prophet Draft Game Mode

Postby Hakuna » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:49 pm

Idea for a new mode:

Each player, going in random order on first wave, picks a unit and then pass to next person. Last person to pick gets to pick twice, then loop backwards til you get to first person.

Each round you get to pick one tier of unit, which is randomly selected. For instance you might be picking your T2 on the first round, then your T5 second round, then T1, etc. etc.

Example pick order of players:
Orange - Blue - Pink - Red - Green - Teal - Yellow - Purple -
Purple - Yellow - Teal - Green - Red - Pink - Blue - Orange -
Purple - Yellow - Teal - Green - Red - Pink - Blue - Orange -

One of these methods for determining units available:
1. Each team gets choice from 5 of the 15 units per tier. 5 random mystery units per tier left out that neither team can pick.
2. Game utilizes a ban - ban - ban - ban - pick - pick - pick - pick - ban - ban - pick - pick - ban - ban - pick - pick - ban - ban - ban - ban - pick - pick - pick - pick sequence
3. Each unit can only be picked by one player.

Drafting would have a time limit of something like 5 seconds per person so that someone can't just stall the lobby. If you don't pick within the time limit then you are randomly given one of the remaining options. If this were only (6 units) x (8 players) x (<=5 seconds) it would be at most 4 minutes. If bans and picks were performed, depending on the amount of bans, this might take up to 8 minutes if each player could ban 1 unit and pick 1 unit per tier.

Haven't fully planned out rerolling yet.
Some ideas:
1. A global redraft occurs every 10 waves.
2. A personal redraft can be purchased for increasing cost.
3. A randomized reroll can be purchased for increasing cost.
4. Game starts as normal All-Prophet with one tier at random being drafted by all players. Every 5 waves another tier at random gets drafted. Once a unit is drafted for a tier it is locked in for the rest of the game.

Feedback, ideas, criticism?
Last edited by Hakuna on Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Who am I in game?
hakuna@EntConnect
ChunkyKong@USEast
Visit my Wiki! Link

blazeitup
Forest Walker

Re: Prophet Draft Game Mode

Postby blazeitup » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:49 pm

As for mega all games would be 31, just like ap. Youd have 2 holder lanes with good towers and 2 suicide lanes with egg/crab delay.

Red would go EA/Hawks
Blue would go Engi +auras, suicide.
Teal would go Aqua/GoD or AoD
Purple would go Landmine+ auras suicide.

^Example, and all games would go 31.

What im saying is, allmost all AP games, unless with really big newbs, goes to 31. If you could customize your roll even better then ap, selecting all 6 towers to make your roll perfect, it would be even more guaranteed to go that far.

It wont work in mega, and I dont see anyone in 1200 backet wanting to change how it is atm.

Stiff_Maistar
Treant Protector

Postby Stiff_Maistar » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:57 pm

I dont think this is any good idea, not that many will use it. Also it would take too long to pick the towers.
With a max at 15 seconds per tier, it will take in total 12 min to just pick the towers.
There are enough trolls and new players at mega, so this would just make the game worse
What did snow white say when the dwarves saw her naked?
7-UP
https://www.facebook.com/TehLurdOfTehReingsOfficial/videos/710971672378120/

Hakuna
Forest Walker

Postby Hakuna » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:05 pm

blazeitup wrote:As for mega all games would be 31, just like ap. Youd have 2 holder lanes with good towers and 2 suicide lanes with egg/crab delay.

Red would go EA/Hawks
Blue would go Engi +auras, suicide.
Teal would go Aqua/GoD or AoD
Purple would go Landmine+ auras suicide.

^Example, and all games would go 31.

What im saying is, allmost all AP games, unless with really big newbs, goes to 31. If you could customize your roll even better then ap, selecting all 6 towers to make your roll perfect, it would be even more guaranteed to go that far.

It wont work in mega, and I dont see anyone in 1200 backet wanting to change how it is atm.

I can see your point. Even so the amount of games I play where my team literally gets a godlike roll and the game still only lasts until wave 17 is innumerable. I don't think it's so bad to have a mode that goes long if the players enjoy it though. People who want every game to end ASAP so they can just keep grinding their ELO up as high as they can as fast as they can are hardly the sort of players that the game should be designed in favour of.

Also while your critique makes sense in the context of my 1st option, which I said was not my favourite option, it is pretty different considering some of the other ways you could make this work. And there are more options too that could be considered.

Stiff_Maistar wrote:I dont think this is any good idea, not that many will use it. Also it would take too long to pick the towers.
With a max at 15 seconds per tier, it will take in total 12 min to just pick the towers.
There are enough trolls and new players at mega, so this would just make the game worse

Very good point. That is a long time, far too long. I need to rethink an appropriate way to dole out time as the drafting phase should be at most 5 minutes.
Who am I in game?
hakuna@EntConnect
ChunkyKong@USEast
Visit my Wiki! Link

Stiff_Maistar
Treant Protector

Postby Stiff_Maistar » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:19 pm

Even if the time issue was fixed i dont think this would see any light in mega games, or the mode would atleast be banned on ENT bots.

The only place this mode will work is in a premade 4vs4 game where everyone know each other. In any other games it will just lead to long lobbies, more toxicness from people that already complains on peoples builds. For example if a noob is first to pick for the team - doesnt know what to pick so it gets random, or if he picks something like tauren or a tier one unit like protons/gnolls. The teammembers will probably yell at him for not picking the best towers or not listening to them.
What did snow white say when the dwarves saw her naked?
7-UP
https://www.facebook.com/TehLurdOfTehReingsOfficial/videos/710971672378120/

Hakuna
Forest Walker

Postby Hakuna » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:26 pm

Stiff_Maistar wrote:Even if the time issue was fixed i dont think this would see any light in mega games, or the mode would atleast be banned on ENT bots.

The only place this mode will work is in a premade 4vs4 game where everyone know each other. In any other games it will just lead to long lobbies, more toxicness from people that already complains on peoples builds. For example if a noob is first to pick for the team - doesnt know what to pick so it gets random, or if he picks something like tauren or a tier one unit like protons/gnolls. The teammembers will probably yell at him for not picking the best towers or not listening to them.

So if my first choice idea were to be the one used, where there are five towers available to each team and they each pick one, so one gets left over, and then five that neither team can pick, then if the noob red picks a minotaur it doesn't change what the enemy team can pick and it leaves better stuff for the rest of his team.

As to whether or not people would play it, I don't doubt you're right that All-Prophet would still reign surpreme as the only mode played, but hey at some point changes are still worth attempting. I mean prophet builder was even new at one point.
Who am I in game?
hakuna@EntConnect
ChunkyKong@USEast
Visit my Wiki! Link

blazeitup
Forest Walker

Postby blazeitup » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:13 am

Im glad someone is trying to discover some new mode that actually work so ima give you creds for that, but anything where people have a choice in picking their towers, is never going to work. Never.

item
Aura Tree

Postby item » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:10 am

Then do it the other way around: each team can decide 1 tower of each tier that the other team can never roll (-pr and -ph only ofc). Or just 4 towers of any tier, leaving one vote for each player.

Hakuna
Forest Walker

Postby Hakuna » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:16 pm

blazeitup wrote:Im glad someone is trying to discover some new mode that actually work so ima give you creds for that, but anything where people have a choice in picking their towers, is never going to work. Never.

Well consider one thing though; in All-Prophet, compared to Hybrid, you know what you are building before you build it. That is a certain amount of "choice". It is certainly less "choice" the way hybrid works. I don't imagine you would disagree that prophet is superior to hybrid, both in terms of competitiveness and enjoyment?

Secondly, I am not advocating in favour of absolute choice, either. I am on the same page with you that a game mode where the first person to get to pick always just insta locks EA would be a boring and stupid mode to play.

Rather imagine this:

Red player announces mode in lobby to be -pd.
Some people leave, eventually 8 people are willing to participate.
Game starts.
Tier of first round is selected to be T3 and player selected to go first is Green.
Green gets choice from Turrets, Harpies, Malformations, Captains and Sentries.
Green picks Turrets.
Red's turn is now and he gets to pick from Bottom Feeders, Young Witch Doctors, Priests, Footmen and Gateguards.
Red picks Young Witch Doctors.
Both Green and Red got to pick at the same time and had maybe 5-10 seconds maximum to pick among those 5 choices. The other 5 T3 were not options for either of them. After they pick, someone else on their team gets to choose from the remaining 4, then 3, then 2 left for the final person on each team to pick from.
Now the draft for T3 is over and moves to T5(at random).
Whoever on each team picked last now gets first pick from T5s.
Picking continues until all players have picked a T5 or been assigned one randomly from the team pool.
This pattern continues until all towers have been selected. Only team mates know what each person on their team has, and neither team knows what the other team has, only what 5 things in each tier they definitely didn't have.

At Round 10 maybe this repeats for new units for both teams. Not sure.

item wrote:Then do it the other way around: each team can decide 1 tower of each tier that the other team can never roll (-pr and -ph only ofc). Or just 4 towers of any tier, leaving one vote for each player.

Not a bad idea but it does result in a very different game. If it was 1 ban per tier each then it's going to be pretty boring in my opinion, not much different from usual. Banning more like 1 per player per tier sounds more impactful, but now that just means in any game involving decent players, everyone is going to have relatively crap units. Removing the best 4 from every tier doesn't leave much decent towers left, in some tiers anyway. Still though I'd be happy to see any kind of new mode so this would be interesting to try, too.
Who am I in game?
hakuna@EntConnect
ChunkyKong@USEast
Visit my Wiki! Link

Return to “Suggestions”