Merex #2

Processed complaints will be moved here.

Moderator: Oversight Staff

pinheadlarry
Forest Walker
Posts: 195
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:31 am
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Merex #2

Postby pinheadlarry » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:18 am

Hello moderators,

I find myself in the unfortunate situation where I once again feel it is necessary to file a complaint.

There are 3 key issues I would like to seek a resolution for.

The first is I filed a suggestion: viewtopic.php?f=43&p=551841#p551841

I did my best to keep if formal, respectful, objective and devoid of sarcasm or metaphors. This suggestion was aimed at creating a consensus among mods regarding ENTs repeat offender policy.

In a prior complaint against Merex, ( viewtopic.php?f=31&t=140374 ) @HazarDous explained,

With regards to the time period since the last offense, moderators are are encouraged to take into consideration every factor. Therefore, it was okay for @Merex to slightly consider the ban history.

Following that, we've no statue in our own staff-policy that can illegitimate any prior history from any given time.




For clarification, while the above is technically true, it doesn't mean that you should not also take into consideration the time period wherein the offender has remained "clean". >2 years is a long time for sure and should be taken into account.


This indicates that currently ENT mods are expected to consider prior history when handling repeat offenders, but hazardous clearly states that there is not statue.

Please note that Merex used "Following that, we've no statue in our own staff-policy that can illegitimate any prior history from any given time. " as his defense

Once I posted my suggestion, Merex closed it within an hour and said:

We've a policy on repeated offenders and we do not need you nor owe you any explanation on it.


Overlooking the unwarranted disrespectful nature of his response basically telling me to leave ENT, I find it quite troubling:
1. He closed a discussion down implying his opinion is the only moderator opinion that matters. This is in spite of the fact ENT does not have a standardized policy on the issue which was what I was suggesting. He made no effort to actually address this suggestion or explain why such a policy is not required.
2. He lied, since Hazardous clearly told him "With regards to the time period since the last offense, moderators are are encouraged to take into consideration every factor. Therefore, it was okay for @Merex to slightly consider the ban history. For clarification, while the above is technically true, it doesn't mean that you should not also take into consideration the time period wherein the offender has remained "clean". >2 years is a long time for sure and should be taken into account." Essentially Merex used no statue as his defense in the first complaint but said that ENT has a statue (but wouldn't tell me) in his reason to close the suggestion.
3. He refused to clarify an ENT rule/policy which I am confident is not standard policy for a moderator. Considering the specifics of many ent policies/rules are not posted, mods should be expected to be point of contact for a user's questions. If not, where are user's supposed to get this information to remain in compliance while having the transparency required for appeals?

I would appreciate if the reviewers of this complaint to consider whether the above 3 points are acceptable moderator conduct


The second key issues I have is how Merex handles ban requests.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=142553

In this ban he simple says 5th offense and 20 days. I went through great lengths to explain my gameplay. He did not explain his reasoning for disagreeing with my retorts, nor did he include any example instances or timestamps of times he considered bannable. He often does this on many ban requests making it very difficult to appeal. Unless I know what specifically he felt constituted ruining, I can't know whether he is justified or incorrect. I'd say this is a case that especially requires a justification since other commenters on the ban supported my strategy as legitimate including the xSaintx1 who is the #1 ranked player in dota right now.

I would appreciate the reviewing moderators to consider if his handling of ban requests is adequate in terms of providing necessary transparency for the sake of appeals

The last issue I have is Merex is removing posts and closing discussions where is he apart of something controversial. The suggestion I posted is one example, but he also completely removed a post I made in the defense of the ancients section that was informing players of Merex's personally enforced rule regarding an alchemist strategy. I am not sure why he would view this as controversial since we have had discussions like this in the past with radiance syllabear. I invited him to comment on it, but instead he removed the post.

I feel moderators closing or removing controversial posts they are apart of is a slippery slope to the previous days where Agreements was doing the same thing to the point he began deleting his own complaints. Furthermore, Merex is the only moderator I've seen that deletes things in secret. Other moderators resort to removing "offensive" parts kind of like what hazardous did to astros in the previous complaint I made against Merex and leave an explanation in the edit. Other mods like @Unitil offer a PM explanation. I understand hateful posts should be removed quickly, but the posts I am talking about was not written offensively in any way.

I would like the reviewing mods to consider if his censorship of valid discussions is acceptable

Thank you for considering this complaint. I look forward to your responses.

User avatar
Merex
Oversight Staff
Posts: 6626
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:45 pm
Location: United States
Has thanked: 297 times
Been thanked: 175 times

Re: Merex #2

Postby Merex » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:40 am

The first is I filed a suggestion: viewtopic.php?f=43&p=551841#p551841

[...]

This indicates that currently ENT mods are expected to consider prior history when handling repeat offenders, but hazardous clearly states that there is not statue.

Please note that Merex used "Following that, we've no statue in our own staff-policy that can illegitimate any prior history from any given time. " as his defense

Entirely different case. Your previous complaint is addressing a more pressing matter regarding statue, as you've stated. And there wasn't any definitive answer on the matter but a more suggestive/considerable factors.

Once I posted my suggestion, Merex closed it within an hour

[...]

Overlooking the unwarranted disrespectful nature of his response basically telling me to leave ENT, I find it quite troubling:
1. He closed a discussion down implying his opinion is the only moderator opinion that matters. This is in spite of the fact ENT does not have a standardized policy on the issue which was what I was suggesting. He made no effort to actually address this suggestion or explain why such a policy is not required.
2. He lied, since Hazardous clearly told him "With regards to the time period since the last offense, moderators are are encouraged to take into consideration every factor. Therefore, it was okay for @Merex to slightly consider the ban history. For clarification, while the above is technically true, it doesn't mean that you should not also take into consideration the time period wherein the offender has remained "clean". >2 years is a long time for sure and should be taken into account." Essentially Merex used no statue as his defense in the first complaint but said that ENT has a statue (but wouldn't tell me) in his reason to close the suggestion.
3. He refused to clarify an ENT rule/policy which I am confident is not standard policy for a moderator. Considering the specifics of many ent policies/rules are not posted, mods should be expected to be point of contact for a user's questions. If not, where are user's supposed to get this information to remain in compliance while having the transparency required for appeals?

Never told you to leave ENT. You are welcomed as a citizen on our forum, while you serve your 20 day ban on a 5th offense as a result of failing to abide by our rules. This however can easily be revoked should you choose to break our forum rules, as-well. That is your choice.

The suggestion in itself is out of your purview as a regular citizen. The public will not dictate any adjustment/addition nor removals in our own in-staff policy. It was/is a clear breech of our own internal staff structure and will not be up for discussion. We appreciate you however attempting to look out for us, but as I said, we do have a policy regarding your "concern".

You are free to make a suggestion regarding forum/community/game specific rules as long as it's within reason as-well as DM any staff member seeking clarity on any concern you might have but this is where the line is drawn.

I did no such lying of any sorts. Again, this is an entirely different case regarding statue of your 2 year length between bans and verifying ban history which, again, was never definitively answered but more-so addressed. This has no standing on your, what I'm going to assume, current case as the statue is much smaller and much more clear.

I can say with the utmost confidence that moderators are in-fact a point of contact for any concerns be it your own or in general but you had not done this to begin with so there was little I could've done here. Should you choose to take a more appropriate manner and attempt to appeal/seek clarity by DM'ing me I will still provide my insights not only into the statue/repeated offender concern, but your 20 day ban.

The second key issues I have is how Merex handles ban requests.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=142553

In this ban he simple says 5th offense and 20 days. I went through great lengths to explain my gameplay. He did not explain his reasoning for disagreeing with my retorts, nor did he include any example instances or timestamps of times he considered bannable. He often does this on many ban requests making it very difficult to appeal. Unless I know what specifically he felt constituted ruining, I can't know whether he is justified or incorrect. I'd say this is a case that especially requires a justification since other commenters on the ban supported my strategy as legitimate including the xSaintx1 who is the #1 ranked player in dota right now.

As a moderator, I review/judge cases accordingly and therefor judged in your case that the initial request regarding your game ruining was valid and warranted a 20 day ban as per your 5th offense here at ENT. There wasn't much else to factor in here.

If it's an explanation/clarification you seek, there are 3 methods of contacting me. Method 1 being here on the forum via Private Message. Method 2 is by making an appeal where initial moderators will deal with their cases and Method 3 which is Discord. Multiple ways for you to gain the answers you desire, had you have chosen to take them.

The last issue I have is Merex is removing posts and closing discussions where is he apart of something controversial.

Just gonna stop you there, pinhead. The post of yours was trashed because you were attempting to harass me by spreading rumors/creating propaganda as a direct result of being banned by me. You can spin this anyway you'd like, but that's what it boils down to and while I may lightly moderate the DotA subforum, this is where I draw the line.

Overall, I'd say this is expected behavior from you pinhead and it's honestly upsetting, to be perfectly honest. You should know as a citizen of our forum since 2013 that when you are banned, you appeal. When you are a player, you respect others or in the very least remain neutral. You've done neither of these things and have, for an extended length of time, been nothing but a nuisance here on our forums making metaphorical insults at other players and continuously failing to abide by our rules and I will say this is not appreciated.

Following the above, you've done nothing since being banned but attempt to publicly shame the staff and question my decisions as a long-time staff member of ENT. Instead of appeal, you complain. Instead of seeking clarity, you defy it. Nothing in this complaint is warranted and given the fact this comes only hours after being banned, it's clear as day the intention you bring to our forums.
The Slap God - An EoC Story
  • ENT Rules, Guides and more can be found on our Wiki.
  • Contact the staff & interact with others by joining our Discord.
  • Now available: Host A Game UI.

pinheadlarry
Forest Walker
Posts: 195
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:31 am
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Merex #2

Postby pinheadlarry » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:20 pm

Merex wrote:And there wasn't any definitive answer on the matter but a more suggestive/considerable factors.


Exactly. Which is why I made a suggestion to quantify it so that judgments can be fair. It is also why I found your statement:

We've a policy on repeated offenders and we do not need you nor owe you any explanation on it.

to be a in conflict with hazardous' ruling and your defense to your previous complaint. Unless you and the mods have developed a formula since my first complaint, you are playing both sides of the coin by first saying there isn't policy and then saying there is. I know saying "lie" was a strong accusation, but I don't see how you can play both arguments and not have one be incorrect.

Merex wrote:Never told you to leave ENT. You are welcomed as a citizen on our forum, while you serve your 20 day ban on a 5th offense as a result of failing to abide by our rules. This however can easily be revoked should you choose to break our forum rules,


Well when I make a polite suggestion about repeat offenders and you say:

We've a policy on repeated offenders and we do not need you nor owe you any explanation on it.


Its pretty easy to read between the lines.

Merex wrote:The suggestion in itself is out of your purview as a regular citizen.

Why? I thought community input was valued on all fronts.

Merex wrote:but as I said, we do have a policy regarding your "concern"


Why does it need to be hidden? What could be so dangerous about letting a general person know they formula/criteria for a repeat offender? This just seems like a veil that can be used to obfuscate the fairness of judgments.

Merex wrote:If it's an explanation/clarification you seek, there are 3 methods of contacting me. Method 1 being here on the forum via Private Message. Method 2 is by making an appeal where initial moderators will deal with their cases and Method 3 which is Discord. Multiple ways for you to gain the answers you desire, had you have chosen to take them


I don't have discord, so that is not an option for me. I couldn't appeal because I don't have the information I need to decided whether I should pursue the ban since you never explained why I was banned. A PM should work if you answer it unlike last time (which may have been an honest mistake), but I am not going to lie, you are intimidating to contact since you forum ban people easily. In fact you just threatened me again in this thread.

Merex wrote:You are welcomed as a citizen on our forum, while you serve your 20 day ban on a 5th offense as a result of failing to abide by our rules. This however can easily be revoked should you choose to break our forum rules, as-well.


From what I said, what made me deserve that veiled threat? If I PM you and you ban me, then I've lost all opportunities for recourse for the duration of the bans (which you bans are really starting to get very long). If I post on a public thread, other moderators can chime in and resolve these issues in a less formal matter than a complaint. What is the issue with open discussion? If I'm such a dolt like you think I am, then all open discussion would do is make a fool out of me and you got nothing to worry about.

Also I don't use complaints lightly. Despite all the Banter Astros had with me, I never submitted a complaint against him. For example, one time he banned me for tossing a teammate into a fountain. We discussed it over a public thread and while I vehemently disagreed with his ruling, I felt it was a reasonable length ban and I served it without filing a complaint or appeal. And despite a negative outcome in my books, it was still helpful to have it on a public thread as now a precedent has been set that helps determine what tossing a teammate into a fountain actually means.

Merex wrote:As a moderator, I review/judge cases accordingly and therefor judged in your case that the initial request regarding your game ruining was valid and warranted a 20 day ban as per your 5th offense here at ENT. There wasn't much else to factor in here.


But you just did a 360 to my initial point. According to Hazardous, there is more to factor in such as duration and games played..

Merex wrote:Just gonna stop you there, pinhead. The post of yours was trashed because you were attempting to harass me by spreading rumors/creating propaganda as a direct result of being banned by me. You can spin this anyway you'd like, but that's what it boils down to and while I may lightly moderate the DotA subforum, this is where I draw the line.


There was literally nothing offensive about it other than I brought to light it was a rule you were enforcing. None of the current mod have administered it so it is fair to @ you and seek your input for the benefit of rule clarity for the community. It is not a rumor that you banned me for playing a solo alch strategy that can be a proven winning strategy just by looking at my prior bans... If believe in your judgments, then I don't see why you can't explain it on a public thread that would benefit more than just me as other players use this strategy too.

Merex wrote:You've done neither of these things and have, for an extended length of time, been nothing but a nuisance here on our forums making metaphorical insults at other players and continuously failing to abide by our rules and I will say this is not appreciated.


Sure, I can be critical of other players who are condescending or think they are gods at dota when they are not, or are uncompromising self-designated team captains, or mods who decide to act unfairly. Yes I use metaphors because many people can't seem to understand basic concepts unless you break it down for them. But, I don't see how this is relevant right now since I am doing neither.

Merex wrote:Following the above, you've done nothing since being banned but attempt to publicly shame the staff and question my decisions as a long-time staff member of ENT.


Not true at all, I often compliment ENT staff and defend them in threads where people try to criticize them or long ban lists. Search my forum history and you'll see many occurrences. If you asked I think you'd find none of the other current mods have any banter with me and some of them have administered bans against me or removed my posts. I have a neutral to high opinion of all the other mods. Unfortunately, you seem to act slightly out of step with the other mods. I don't feel seniority should equate to give you run-of-the-house to do as you will. I do appreciate your service to ENT and handling BRQs but you are undoubtedly a high controversy mod with many of the players. You never saw people like Kappa getting lynched of the forums and it is for a reason.

Merex wrote:Nothing in this complaint is warranted and given the fact this comes only hours after being banned, it's clear as day the intention you bring to our forums.


Thats funny. Last time i served my ban THEN made a complaint and you said,

All-in-all, I find this complaint to be a blatant overstep from someone who not only continuously violates our rules, but doesn't even show us the respect of remorse/acknowledgement via our appeal section but rather sit out his fairly long ban and try to use it as a ploy against me.


So I discredit myself if I file a complaint after the ban, and I discredit myself if I file a complaint during that ban... The amount of contradictions you make is undeniably frustrating and is one of the many reasons I have trouble finding common ground with you...

User avatar
Astros
Plague Treant
Posts: 1910
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:40 pm
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 100 times

Re: Merex #2

Postby Astros » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:58 pm

This individual is such a nuisance that he truly believes that ENT exists to serve him. I'm glad PinHeadLarry brought this complaint up because I have the same complaint: Mods need to start banning individuals such as PinHeadLarry much sooner so their behavior doesn't start to avalanche and become a situation where he thinks he can slide past every incident undetected.

1) You claim mods target you. It's the other way around, you target mods. You specifically look for their attention and cause yourself to be placed in an unwanted scenario. Try not being a wanna-be failed lawyer. It's almost as if you lack the personal relationship attention you need for a healthy lifestyle.

2) It's very clear what a repeat offender is. If you break a rule(s) numerous times, you are most definitely eligible to be banned for a lengthier period of time. This is especially true if this happens consistently. If you need an explanation for what a repeat offender is, maybe a 20 day ban can be in your best interest to develop your comprehension skills outside of DotA (which is very low, might I say). Mods don't need a consensus and Merex did the correct thing closing your lame attempt to draw up more drama in the forums. It's quite clear what the definition is. Everyone comprehends it fully outside of yourself.

3) Hazardous actually never stated there wasn't a statute towards it. He simply stated that the time from your last to current ban should also be taken into account regarding your ban duration. This is true in the real world as well. Step out into one and you'll find out.

4) You know why you are banned. Quit looking for a justification to it. Your build is poor and you spend 40 minutes farming and then come out thinking you're Thanos so you can project that you're "saving" your team from losing when in reality, all they needed and wanted from you was to help them so they can end the game and move on with their lives. You have nearly 600 ELO playing 5,000+ games in ENT and you still wonder pretend you are the victim? I'd say the 45,000 instances of players (9 x 5,000) are the victims because they have to deal with your incompetence based on a fundamental understanding that you should help your team when they have been asking you to do so. Nevermind the fact your alch strategy is very easy to counter but I hope you realize that having six slots in a game isn't essential to winning. If the game lasted long enough for you to have six slots in an EM pub game, you've done a terrible job playing alch. You should be ending games within 25-30 minutes if you actually knew how to play alch.

5) Your posts weren't removed in secret. You've been warned, forum banned, and told to stop harassing other individuals. Merex has let a lot of drama escalate in the DotA discussion because he knows it's fun chatter. It becomes a problem when you consistently harass others and become a nuisance to everyone else. If you want to know why you were forum banned or had posts deleted, just take a look here:

http://wiki.entgaming.net/index.php?tit ... ForumRules

It shouldn't be difficult to connect the dots. Then again, maybe for you it would be.

6) The policy has to be hidden because it can be manipulated. If people knew the formula as to how mods make their decision, it would be easy for some to circumvent around that policy. You have all the info you need as to how not to get banned. Why do you consistently need an explanation for every instance? All that does is make others think you aren't intelligent.

7) No one finds your metaphors even remotely funny or amusing. They are cringy and make people question your social skills. I highly suggest you stop doing them for your own sake.

8) You have a neutral opinion of other mods who weren't the ones who saw a ban request on you and decided to ban you. Just like you did of me but found out that I said you should be banned and then said I was biased towards you despite me never encountering you before. Let's get this straight: The only reason you dislike me and Merex is that we are the ones who happened to ban you. No other reason. You think you are right and when told otherwise, you throw a tantrum and decide to type like an uncivilized individual. No one believes you anymore. Other users who came here to mock you don't even find it worthy of their time anymore so you decide to create your own drama by attacking a mod who is fulfilling their role here.

9) He never contradicted himself. Do you know what that word means? For someone who portrays himself as an english scholar with metaphors, you sure have a poor understanding in the definition of words.

10) Here's your problem:
A) You think you're smarter than you really are.
B) You think you're funny when it is the opposite.
C) You think because Beerlord chose not to ban you previously, that makes Beerlord the God of ENT and any decision contrary to his is wrong.
https://i.gyazo.com/ae8f2f4b3295cac7a5c ... f15452.png
Do you agree with the almighty Beerlord here or do you dare defy him? The reason why Beerlord left is actually directly correlated with people like you. He was tired of being targeted for banning people when in reality, he should have been shown more respect for taking time out of his schedule to help a community that then decides to attack him.
D) You think your alch is good but it's below average. Anyone can farm all game and achieve better results. The difference is, they would rather help their teammates and complete objectives. Alch is an easy and simple hero. Farm early, end quick. Your formula is to farm, farm, farm, twelve slots of death (don't forget when you tried to six slot with your courier as well and claimed it was necessary), more farm because you gotta get that new Bugatti Divo, and then when your teammates are losing 4v5 battles, you convince yourself that you are there to save them. Nevermind the fact that you almost never get boots of travel with Alch which not only increases the farming capabilities of alch but actually helps your team via pushing lanes, helping defend ganks, etc.,

I can type a few more essays of why your behavior is troublesome but it wouldn't be worth more of the effort I have already shown to illustrate why. The rules are easy to comprehend. You have 5,500+ games in DotA ENT (far more than the best players on ENT ever had). You have 600 ELO but type like you have 6,000 ELO. ENT rules aren't going to change for you. Mods aren't going to disappear and stop banning you when you break rules. If you are going to stay on ENT, you should accustom yourself to their rules because you are using a service that they chose to provide to you for free. Or, you can continue playing the way you do and eventually, be banned indefinitely.
DotA 1 Discord - All Players Welcomed! https://discord.gg/6jbCdzq
DotA 1 In-House League Discord - https://discordapp.com/invite/MudFGsP

User avatar
xSAINTx1
Treant
Posts: 415
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:05 am
Location: Detroit, MI
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: Merex #2

Postby xSAINTx1 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:15 pm

Just wanted to add my two cents because you've already justified your playstyle using some advice I provided in your brq. In my scenario I needed to play solo for first 25 mins of game to become strong enough to control the map. I got blink to gank enemy solo heroes and I shoved out waves to prevent the enemy from getting towers. In between said actions I continued to farm until I had my 6 slot, which did not take more then 30 mins even without manta style/radiance/BOTs/octarine core. Theres a difference between being alone and creating space for the first 20-30 mins of the game, vs being solo for the last 50-60 mins of the game, where death timers are a serious win condition and getting caught out or losing a fight 4v5 (cuz you were not present of farming) can throw a won game.

Just work on being with your team more man, and maybe dont pick a hero who needs 30 mins to come online when your team is begging for help (which most allies will because they fail in their own roles and understanding of how to delay pushes).

Sylvanas
Treant Protector
Posts: 974
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:56 am
Been thanked: 159 times

Re: Merex #2

Postby Sylvanas » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:32 am

Astros wrote:you spend 40 minutes farming and then come out thinking you're Thanos so you can project that you're "saving" your team from losing when in reality, all they needed and wanted from you was to help them so they can end the game and move on with their lives.

Yeah, it's basically a huge messiah complex. From the start, he aims to fabricate a "desperate" situation or stalemate which only he can solve, on his own terms, when he chooses to. There's no full inventory requirement, he just takes the game hostage and keeps it from ending until he can show off his ultimately pointless attack speed that no one cares about.

Astros wrote:Your formula is to farm, farm, farm, twelve slots of death (don't forget when you tried to six slot with your courier as well and claimed it was necessary)

I actually had forgotten about that. It speaks volumes about his unwarranted feeling of superiority that he actually believes he could convince mods or anyone that it made any sense.
These users thanked the author Sylvanas for the post:
Astros (Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:01 pm)

User avatar
Kappa
Plague Treant
Posts: 1979
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:07 am
Location: USA
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 84 times

Re: Merex #2

Postby Kappa » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:54 am

1) Honestly I find this quite silly. Your initial requests is essentially asking moderators to act as autoban with 0 consideration for anything else. There is a reason moderators exists to do manual reviews and interact with the community/offenders - because every situation is nuanced and different. Moderators have guidelines to follow with regards to repeat offenders but have a certain level of discretion depending on the situation. The current policy actually allows for the most fair and effective resolution imo. The process is standardized to keep moderation fair but also allows moderators to take into account the specific circumstances and make their own determination. Additionally, long bans are rarely given without first consulting another staff member for their opinion.

2) As its been stated in the past, appeals are generally the place to discuss the circumstances around a ban in order to allow for some self-reflection on the part of the offender. Additionally, moderators are volunteers and ban requests build quickly. Users want brq's handled promptly. Providing short comments on the brq achieves these goals. While you may have a handful of topics you reviewed and commented on, moderators have hundreds and asking them to provide highly detailed comments greatly eats into efficiency. Moreover, in my experience people tend to argue and disagree on topics regardless of how obvious a bannable offense is or detailed the review given is - it's a waste of time in most cases.

3) I think you have personal issues with Merex and attempt to cause drama surrounding him whenever you can. I don't blame him for removing your posts and it's not a secret. Every moderator can see deleted posts as well as who deleted them. You simply take one-offs out of context and frame them in a way to paint yourself in the best light while others that disagree with you in the worst.

Unlike many internet trolls, you are able to type in complete sentences. Unfortunately, this leads to complaints like this which end up being an excessive waste of everyone's time.
These users thanked the author Kappa for the post:
Astros (Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:01 pm)

pinheadlarry
Forest Walker
Posts: 195
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:31 am
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Merex #2

Postby pinheadlarry » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:08 am

Hello Banter Boi, glad to see you still come around ENT just to stir drama up on the forums.

Astros wrote: I'm glad PinHeadLarry brought this complaint up because I have the same complaint: Mods need to start banning individuals such as PinHeadLarry much sooner so their behavior doesn't start to avalanche and become a situation where he thinks he can slide past every incident undetected.


Quotes like this are your Alex Jones conspiracy theories that have zero basis. The fact of the matter is I have never been acquitted by a ban by you or Merex. You call that sliding past every incident undetected? Be fair. Fortunately the upper-mods can see through this tirade through your massive volume of opinionated and unsubstantiated claims. Remember this?

BanterBoiCensorship.PNG
BanterBoiCensorship.PNG (2.35 KiB) Viewed 1421 times


I'll happily tickle your fancy for Banter, but this thread is not the spot for it. Try this one: viewtopic.php?f=13&p=551636#p551636 . For example feel free to give me some tips on how to live the healthy lifestyle you think I lack.

As much as I would like to point-by-point refute your opinions, I don't want to make this thread go off topic.

Now to sift through your hidden valid points of discussion:

Astros wrote:It's very clear what a repeat offender is. If you break a rule(s) numerous times, you are most definitely eligible to be banned for a lengthier period of time.


It is not clear. We have some mods say anything that is older than 2 years should be mitigated or ignored (Hazardous and AmnoN) and people like you and Merex who think there is no mitigating factors. This policy should be made consistent and is why I posted a suggestion. This complaint and the last one could have been so easily avoided if a black and white definition/formula was established that standardized the punishment.

Astros wrote: Hazardous actually never stated there wasn't a statute towards it. He simply stated that the time from your last to current ban should also be taken into account regarding your ban duration. This is true in the real world as well. Step out into one and you'll find out.


Not true at all. For example, in Canada and the US, your driving record is expunged after 3-5years. They understand that if you driver enough, you might commit an offense accidentally or unknowingly here or there.

Astros wrote:. Your build is poor and you spend 40 minutes farming and then come out thinking you're Thanos so you can project that you're "saving" your team from losing when in reality, all they needed and wanted from you was to help them so they can end the game and move on with their lives. You have nearly 600 ELO playing 5,000+ games in ENT and you still wonder pretend you are the victim?


Well considering the #1 player on ENT right now finds my strategy has a basis strongly discredits your opinion. Go check my previous ban requests to see other players who support my build as well.

Astros wrote: You should be ending games within 25-30 minutes if you actually knew how to play alch.

I never said I am the best alch. This build wins games for me, and contrary to what you seem to believe, I actually play to win. If I don't get the 6-slot in time, I tend to lose badly. It is a risky strategy but one that has definitely pays off frequently and allows me to beat stacks and meepos.

Astros wrote:It becomes a problem when you consistently harass others and become a nuisance to everyone else.

Again, you are making unfair generalizations. In 8+ years I've only ever been involved with issues with 3 mods (You, Merex and Nabo.). I have litterally never been the first person to talk shit to start a spat. You started the banter with us and I reciprocated very powerfully. Merex unfairly banned me, so I questioned him and he took offense. All the other mods I have been more than cordial with. And after the last complaint I sent Merex this message to try and smooth things over and get back to being cordial

Merex Post-Complaint PM.PNG
Merex Post-Complaint PM.PNG (82.38 KiB) Viewed 1421 times


Was that a harassing message? Did you see the huge amounts of malice you claim I have? But you know what I didn't see? A reply for Merex (2 PMS I've sent and got zero response from him - can you see why his communication could be improved?

I don't want conflict, but if you sling banter at me, I will reciprocate.
Astros wrote:The policy has to be hidden because it can be manipulated. If people knew the formula as to how mods make their decision, it would be easy for some to circumvent around that policy.


Lol? Formulas arn't subjective. How could I possibly manipulate a formula like "bans after 3 years should be ignored". There is nothing to twist there. God forbid mods lose the ability to apply excessive punishments without having a secret rule to protect them self...

Astros wrote:You have a neutral opinion of other mods who weren't the ones who saw a ban request on you and decided to ban you.


Again, completely false. Lets take Hazardous for example. He has banned me 3 time in the past. I've never lashed out against him, appeal them, or thought they were disproportionate. And if you go way back, I was banned by mods like KinG23 and again, I did not have a reason to complain. Do you see that my "outrageous" behavior is only directed at you cuz you modded poorly (and seems to be growing with Merex despite my efforts to put the dagger down). Let's not forget that time you manually extended the bans of 4 leavers who were in various games you were in and left and you thought the autoban wasn't harsh enough. Power trip much? That was during the time there was 200+ serious bans that required you attention.

My dear Banter boi, lets be fair. At this point you are only on ENT to stir the pot. You left ENT, and gave them a big middle finger by trying to rip away players to RGC. You shit talk ENT to no end and keep trying to despirit the remaining player base by telling them to count their days since ent is dieing. It's sad I have a much more positive view of ENT than you do and you were a Mod.

xSAINTx1 wrote:and maybe dont pick a hero who needs 30 mins to come online

I don't think that is really fair. Not only would a policy like this promote full games of noob picks, it also is extremely subjective. For example, I play a off-build skywraith as well. Since sky can't farm well, it takes me like 30 min and lev 16 to just become mildly useful. And probably 50-60 slot where I can do the fastest dps out of any hero. I never get banned for my sky build since I'm around my team. However, it is without a doubt that it is less helpful than my alch build which takes less time and has a wayyy higher win rate.

Sylvanas wrote: Astros wrote:
Your formula is to farm, farm, farm, twelve slots of death (don't forget when you tried to six slot with your courier as well and claimed it was necessary)


I actually had forgotten about that. It speaks volumes about his unwarranted feeling of superiority that he actually believes he could convince mods or anyone that it made any sense.


Well the last 2 bans this was not the case, yet they were adjudicated exactly the same, only with much longer durations...

Hi Kappa,

Kappa wrote:The current policy actually allows for the most fair and effective resolution imo. The process is standardized to keep moderation fair but also allows moderators to take into account the specific circumstances and make their own determination. Additionally, long bans are rarely given without first consulting another staff member for their opinion.


But as a former mod, did you not take time in between bans and games played into consideration? From the bans I saw you adjudicate, you seems to weigh these factors just like many of the other mods. Merex does not do this which is inconsistent and makes it seem like there is no policy on this.

Kappa wrote:While you may have a handful of topics you reviewed and commented on, moderators have hundreds and asking them to provide highly detailed comments greatly eats into efficiency.


I understand and can appreciate this. But I usually comment on my BRQs before a mod sees them. A single sentence or 2 about what they disagreed with would go a long way. It also expedites or prevent appeals so I'm not sure how much of a time savings there actually is.

Kappa wrote:I think you have personal issues with Merex


Please see the above pm I sent Merex. I sincerely tried to smooth things over on the last complaint. I don't aim to start issues, however I believe in justice and fairness. I really didn't want another Banter Boi to deal with. But unfortunately it was Merex who couldn't drop the fight.

Kappa wrote:Unfortunately, this leads to complaints like this which end up being an excessive waste of everyone's time.

It is unfortunate you have that opinion. But I do have a serious concern, lets say I play 1000 more games/ or 1 year ban free, and I play a bad game one time on an off day, at this rate I'll be kicked out the door if duration is not considered. Most of the long time members are gone from ent or are hiding under new accounts. I've stuck around and played a huge amount of games (less than a 0.1% ruin rate) so I am in a unique situation where long time ent members are going to get shredded by bans that, like driving offense, are pretty much guaranteed to happen with enough games. I have not done anything to obfuscate my stats or history and I am being punished for it. That is why I think this policy needs to be established. I also am concerned about how Merex handles controversy that he is apart of as seen in my OP in this thread.

deucebag
Basic Tree
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:47 pm

Re: Merex #2

Postby deucebag » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:43 pm

If i can join converastion, i would like to say that its very discriminating behaviour against this user pinhadlarry. I hate injustice and i couldnt get over without leaving comment. If there is aproval time, i would like this to be aproved i wont interfere anymore.

First of all i would say that ent team did amazing job troughout years of service. Voulunters work, specificly over ban request and appeal section, was awesome. When they ban they arent buthurt about it, one apeal would do the job for most.

The thing is you actualy never second-guess your decisions. Mathematicaly its not remotly imaginable that you are always right, despite your best intentions. If you solved idk 15 000 cases dont tell me you were right and every sigle one of it. Complaints usually finish in you guys backing up each other. Patent is simple, take what befits you, ignore everything else. I belive that pinheadlary is at least 51% right, counting his ban from 2 years ago and after many thousends of games, for excessively game ruin is simply nonsense, so his suggestion wasnt that bad to be closed in 30 minutes?

Astros answer is very disapointing. He strikes him in personal life, talk about elo and other useless stuff, speaking inaccurate and half-truth facts. Pinhead has built one account and other twats who open new accounts every day, ruining his mood by repeating his score like broken records. There is no punishment for those who destroy his game motivation, but when he farm 10 more minutes then usual he get 20 days ban for some 2+ years old bans? And if he opened new account every day like those who report ussualy do, he would be banned like 2-3 days? Do you see it?

His sugestion is closed but Astros who left in most unprofesional way is recieved back in crew with flowers and wine.

Everyone appriciate your work which is without doubts 90% correct and fair, but for god sake, once tell sorry we did the job superficially.

User avatar
Merex
Oversight Staff
Posts: 6626
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:45 pm
Location: United States
Has thanked: 297 times
Been thanked: 175 times

Re: Merex #2

Postby Merex » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:00 am

To sum up the complaint, there are 3 alleged issues being directed towards me.

Issue 1 - Closing suggestion: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=142576
I will say again towards my defense that no citizen will dictate our in-staff policy. OP is free to gain clarity on this over any other staff member in a position like my own/perhaps higher, but it simply isn't going to happen. I did state in my initial response here that we appreciate their concern but there's not a consensus needed on a repeated offender policy as we have one already.

Issue 2 - Handling ban requests (Reference: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=142553)
No moderator is required to repeat insight into the brq unless it's pertaining directly to the case. In this instance, I treated it like I did with many other brqs and enforced it accordingly as the rules violated were valid by the initial suspect. If they want further clarity, they can contact the banning moderator directly or make an appeal.

Issue 3 - Closing pinhead's DotA topic
Hello fellow ENT lads,

Just thought I would inform you of a new rule Merex is enforcing regarding the build strategy of alch. Although it is absent in the dota wiki rules, creating OP builds that do not conform with "conventional teamplay" but have an extremely high win rate will be banned, which my exodia alch build must unfortunately fall under.

Love him or hate him, even ENT's current best ( @xSAINTx1 ) admits there is some merit to this winning strategy: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=142553&p=551769&hilit=pinheadlarry#p551769

I have tried your build (without butterfly, i got blink skadi instead) without radiance, and can still get 6 slot very fast, and end game quickly. With this in mind, I also played solo for 25 mins straight, or got solo pick offs with blink/shoved waves alone.


It would be terrific if @Merex could shed some light onto why he feels this strategy is too OP or requires a ban?

Here is the topic.

If you look at the very first sentence, it's already a blatant lie as there's clearly no rule against a "build strategy of alch" nor is it the reason why pinheadlarry is serving a 20 day ban. Here is the wiki link to DotA's specific rules in-case anyone wants to verify this themselves: http://wiki.entgaming.net/index.php?tit ... :DotARules

Additionally, pinheadlarry states another deception and that is "Creating OP builds will be banned"" which is also a lie. As an oversight/forum staff member, I did/do not want this to spread so the best course of option in my position was to simply close the topic.

I'm not interested in this back-to-back argumentation between any citizen commenting here/the OP himself any further so I am making this to keep the topic/my defense short & simple. This is mainly for any incoming oversight/department member to see my view of the situation without having to read my responses directly to the OP.
The Slap God - An EoC Story
  • ENT Rules, Guides and more can be found on our Wiki.
  • Contact the staff & interact with others by joining our Discord.
  • Now available: Host A Game UI.

Jullie
Resource Storage
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:46 pm

Re: Merex #2

Postby Jullie » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:35 pm

Pinheadlarry, to be honest you are kind of drama person. I read all your comments it seems like back and forward. You farm all day long and ignore team fight and let your teamate handle with the enemy. You know exactly the rules "not cooperate as team" is bannable right? My question is, if someone in your team farming and ignoring you and let you battle with the enemies alone like what you do, so how do you feel about it? Of course you will be upset right?

raedric
Forest Walker
Posts: 131
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:52 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Merex #2

Postby raedric » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:46 pm

I think Astros should sit out the rest of this, as there are several personal insults and intelligence questioning in his responses and that seems too inflammatory for what we want to achieve here.

Pertaining to the complaint: I do believe 20 days ban duration is far too long of a sentence for a fifth time offense in at least as many years. If you don't like the player personally, let somebody else handle the request instead of letting your personal feelings get in the way. People aren't always in the best place, a lot of games when people want your help it isn't asked for, it's "OMG THIS ALCH ISN'T HELPING WHAT A FUCKING NOOB LOLOL 600 ELO OMG WHAT AN IDIOT YOU SUCK IRL I'LL PUNCH YOUR DOG IN THE MOUTH!" I do believe pinhead needs to change up his gameplay with alch, and he might have deserved a ban...but like a five day ban max.

Just my .02

pinheadlarry
Forest Walker
Posts: 195
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:31 am
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Merex #2

Postby pinheadlarry » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:35 am

Merex, I can respect that you arn't interested in back-and-forth discussions, but to be fair, you have cherry-picked your points.

Just a few examples so that it does not look like I am making baseless claims:

Merex wrote:. OP is free to gain clarity on this over any other staff member in a position like my own/perhaps higher,


The above quote I feel "free" is a bit of a euphemism since in the suggestion thread you said:

we do not need you nor owe you any explanation on it.


Which with my level of reading comprehension comes across as being anything but inviting or "free". Yes, I could have asked another staff member, but ultimately it is your "opinion" that really matter here. And since you have never responded to a single PM I have sent you, and the fact you have forum banned/threaten forum bans for inquisitive PM ban questions makes you very "unapproachable"

Thank you Merex for posting the thread you removed. Yes it is controversial as to the nature of the ban you administered, but what exactly was inflammatory about that? I never personally attacked you in that thread or hurled any insults, I merely included you in the thread because you were the one who administered the controversial ban (I say controversial since there are clearly people on both sides of the argument). I felt a public thread was perfect place to discuss this because, as a community, this is a precedent-setting ban where you essentially ban builds and strategies that win, but do not conform to teamplay in the way dota is "typically" played. I strongly feel it does not violate any of the forum rules and that Merex stifled to avoid a topic of controversy that he inherently made himself the center of.

Merex wrote:pinheadlarry states another deception and that is "Creating OP builds will be banned

You read that wrong. I clearly said "or" in the deleted post and was referring to this:

pinheadlarry wrote:Although it is absent in the dota wiki rules, creating OP builds that do not conform with "conventional teamplay" but have an extremely high win rate will be banned, which my exodia alch build must unfortunately fall under.


This type of build is in direct contrast with those of players like Furion K:D who used underpowered builds to snipe kills and they hang around their team just to snipe kills and steal gold from the carries (lowering their chances of winning the game). My alch build does not snipe kills since I solo generate my K/D and ultimately I end the game with a very strong build that helps win the game. Ironically Furion K:D's build is loosely considered teamplay since he hangs around with the team to snipe kills without concern for winning the game, where my alch build is not considered teamplay and is focused on winning.

Jullie wrote:Pinheadlarry, to be honest you are kind of drama person.

I'm sorry you feel that way, but I feel that opinion has been imbued largely by 2 mods. Yes, I am one of the more vocal members of ENT's community. But as I mentioned before, I do not start this "drama" but merely reciprocate. Yes, I reciprocate colorfully, but if you don't cause a stir, nothing every gets done. I also don't back down when provoked and is why I grew into a major thorn for both Banter Boi and Merex since most people would give up. Please recall I have been a member since 2013 and have had "issues" with 3 mods (probably less than 5% of all mods ENT had during that time). I feel that statistics alone, support I am not a drama-boi but just a vocal critic when required. Also, I believe my prior PM to merex I posted in this thread is a great indication of someone trying to put out the drama, not start it.

Jullie wrote:You know exactly the rules "not cooperate as team" is bannable right?

I do. But what does cooperate mean? In my mind it means work together towards the common goal of winning. However, certain mods on ENT seem to think cooperate means being around your team even if you have other priorities like K/D over winning.

Jullie wrote:My question is, if someone in your team farming and ignoring you and let you battle with the enemies alone like what you do, so how do you feel about it? Of course you will be upset right?


I actually am okay with that if I feel they may have a capacity to carry. For example, the most common class I play is tank/support (pudge, oracle, centure, earth spirit). During these games I build very tanky or with lots of disable and I know my job is 2-fold: Support the carries, and slow the enemy team's progress to buy time. Yes, I'll be frustrated if I am sacrificing my body to slow the enemy to see a legion commander come out of the jungle 20 mins later with a bruiza and a stygian and 1600HP. But if they come out with a solid build that gives us a winning chance, I am happy (even if we still end up losing). I absolutely will submit bans if someone grief farms or refuses to defend raxes (not towers) and this is not the issue in the bans recently levied again me. It's funny, because in other games (mainly RTS ones like age of empires and starcraft) this strategy is called the slingshot where a team hinders their game to boost a single teammate and it is really effective, just like it is here in dota. The ironic part is we see huge threads bashing k/d whores yet people never are willing to play the slingshot when it is not them being slung. It is a real joke that I maybe play alch once every 20-40 games and expect a bit of room from my team like I had extended to my carries in prior games, but it never fails that they end up being k/d whores who care more about their tarnished k/d than winning. If cooperating means ensuring your team finished with K/Ds that make them feel happy rather then winning, then we have some issues.

raedric wrote:People aren't always in the best place

Ty, Raedric for supporting this point I feel is important. A great example of this was a complain Haz has against him:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=139975

Haz is a great mod who made one little inconsequential slip of poor judgment. If the mods who reviewed this would have punished Haz for it I would have stuck up for Haz and metaphored that crap outta the mod who was that dense to look past that. Instead, Merex actually did a great job summing it up
"To sum up the complaint; This was just a situation gone badly. It's best to just move on from it, perhaps settle your differences with Haz because much like yourself, he's a member of the LIHL and your playerbase is limited therefor you'll be seeing each-other in a multitude of league games."

There is also the time Haz asked for the username and password of KingKar which was a bit sketchy, but there again, a relatively minor slip (especially considering I think haz was trying to help KingKar by verifying something? --> My memory might be a bit off). But that was a long long time ago and I don't think anyone in their right mind would hold that against him this many years later (other than maybe KingKar :) ).

But the point is, all of us long time members have off days and make the odd mistake. Over a long enough timeframe we will be banned into oblivion if concessions arn't made into ban history. Like I said, I have not attempted to obfuscate or smurf my history or stats, and now I am being punished for not doing that (which seems to be only an issue with certain mods).

To be honest, I am not advocating for Merex to be lynched out of a mod position via this complaint. Merex is actually quite a good and fair mod when he dealing with issues that he has no history with or vested interest in. Like others suggested, I feel he has issues dropping quarrels that leads him to make vindictive decisions. This is why I feel these "subjective policies" need to be brought out and made black an white. It is extremely concerning to me when mods use this excuse as a reason to obfuscate their rulings:

Astros wrote:The policy has to be hidden because it can be manipulated. If people knew the formula as to how mods make their decision, it would be easy for some to circumvent around that policy.


There is literally no way you can manipulate a number-based policy. Not only would black-and-white policies make it impossible to have complaints like this, it would also make handling appeals much easier. The fact Merex and a former mods seems reluctant to publicly broadcast/discuss these policies seems to be mutually inclusive of the fact both of these mods are undeniably high-controversy mods.

SnowwyWolf
Treant
Posts: 488
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 12:23 am
Has thanked: 40 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Merex #2

Postby SnowwyWolf » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:44 pm

One major point you seem to repeat Larry is that you want a black and white examination on what happens with repeat offenders, what time frame is considered or not etc. The most black and white it can be explained is like this due to the level of nuance in a case by case basis, we consider :
- How many bans they have total, mods also check aliases.
- what they have been banned for.
- how many times they have been banned for the same offence.
- does the user seem apologetic or sincere in any way or are they just toxic.
- what are they like generally as a member of the ent community.
- to what degree has their actions impacted the game.

Delving further there is even more depth to those considerations, take game ruining bans for example, some warrant a longer ban than others. If someone destroys their teams items, ghosts and feeds that all falls under a game ruining ban but s multitude of rules broken so naturally the ban length increases with each different infraction. Also if in a game they only intentionally feed twice then start playing properly would be s different consideration. You then have to consider in each previous ban how toxic / game ruining they have been, over what span of time and how long is their ban history, number of games and so on.

There is simply no way to put it in black and white such as :
"If you have played less than 100 games in 2 months and have broken rules each week for 4 weeks you get an X ban time" as each different ban and rule breaking and different factors are so varied.

How about this, you explain in words what type of policy could possibly exist in black and white that factors :
-, Total number of games.
- Total numbers of games over a certain period.
- which rules have been broken and to what extent and impact this has on the game and fellow players.
- how each varied rule broken, to each different extent, over each time period and to what ban period each combination would lead to.

I know what you're after, you want something like this :
- First game ruining 2 day ban.
- Second game ruining 5 day ban.
- Third game ruining 10 day ban.
Etc

However it isn't just the rule they break, it's to the extent they break it, over what time period, how they are generally etc.

There is a general guideline of doubling the ban for each time the offence occurs but that also isn't straightforward as again there is many different factors in every single case to consider.

I hope this brings some clarity.

User avatar
Astros
Plague Treant
Posts: 1910
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:40 pm
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 100 times

Re: Merex #2

Postby Astros » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:56 pm

pinheadlarry wrote:Merex, I can respect that you arn't interested in back-and-forth discussions, but to be fair, you have cherry-picked your points.

Just a few examples so that it does not look like I am making baseless claims:

Merex wrote:. OP is free to gain clarity on this over any other staff member in a position like my own/perhaps higher,


The above quote I feel "free" is a bit of a euphemism since in the suggestion thread you said:

we do not need you nor owe you any explanation on it.


Which with my level of reading comprehension comes across as being anything but inviting or "free". Yes, I could have asked another staff member, but ultimately it is your "opinion" that really matter here. And since you have never responded to a single PM I have sent you, and the fact you have forum banned/threaten forum bans for inquisitive PM ban questions makes you very "unapproachable"

Thank you Merex for posting the thread you removed. Yes it is controversial as to the nature of the ban you administered, but what exactly was inflammatory about that? I never personally attacked you in that thread or hurled any insults, I merely included you in the thread because you were the one who administered the controversial ban (I say controversial since there are clearly people on both sides of the argument). I felt a public thread was perfect place to discuss this because, as a community, this is a precedent-setting ban where you essentially ban builds and strategies that win, but do not conform to teamplay in the way dota is "typically" played. I strongly feel it does not violate any of the forum rules and that Merex stifled to avoid a topic of controversy that he inherently made himself the center of.

Merex wrote:pinheadlarry states another deception and that is "Creating OP builds will be banned

You read that wrong. I clearly said "or" in the deleted post and was referring to this:

pinheadlarry wrote:Although it is absent in the dota wiki rules, creating OP builds that do not conform with "conventional teamplay" but have an extremely high win rate will be banned, which my exodia alch build must unfortunately fall under.


This type of build is in direct contrast with those of players like Furion K:D who used underpowered builds to snipe kills and they hang around their team just to snipe kills and steal gold from the carries (lowering their chances of winning the game). My alch build does not snipe kills since I solo generate my K/D and ultimately I end the game with a very strong build that helps win the game. Ironically Furion K:D's build is loosely considered teamplay since he hangs around with the team to snipe kills without concern for winning the game, where my alch build is not considered teamplay and is focused on winning.

Jullie wrote:Pinheadlarry, to be honest you are kind of drama person.

I'm sorry you feel that way, but I feel that opinion has been imbued largely by 2 mods. Yes, I am one of the more vocal members of ENT's community. But as I mentioned before, I do not start this "drama" but merely reciprocate. Yes, I reciprocate colorfully, but if you don't cause a stir, nothing every gets done. I also don't back down when provoked and is why I grew into a major thorn for both Banter Boi and Merex since most people would give up. Please recall I have been a member since 2013 and have had "issues" with 3 mods (probably less than 5% of all mods ENT had during that time). I feel that statistics alone, support I am not a drama-boi but just a vocal critic when required. Also, I believe my prior PM to merex I posted in this thread is a great indication of someone trying to put out the drama, not start it.

Jullie wrote:You know exactly the rules "not cooperate as team" is bannable right?

I do. But what does cooperate mean? In my mind it means work together towards the common goal of winning. However, certain mods on ENT seem to think cooperate means being around your team even if you have other priorities like K/D over winning.

Jullie wrote:My question is, if someone in your team farming and ignoring you and let you battle with the enemies alone like what you do, so how do you feel about it? Of course you will be upset right?


I actually am okay with that if I feel they may have a capacity to carry. For example, the most common class I play is tank/support (pudge, oracle, centure, earth spirit). During these games I build very tanky or with lots of disable and I know my job is 2-fold: Support the carries, and slow the enemy team's progress to buy time. Yes, I'll be frustrated if I am sacrificing my body to slow the enemy to see a legion commander come out of the jungle 20 mins later with a bruiza and a stygian and 1600HP. But if they come out with a solid build that gives us a winning chance, I am happy (even if we still end up losing). I absolutely will submit bans if someone grief farms or refuses to defend raxes (not towers) and this is not the issue in the bans recently levied again me. It's funny, because in other games (mainly RTS ones like age of empires and starcraft) this strategy is called the slingshot where a team hinders their game to boost a single teammate and it is really effective, just like it is here in dota. The ironic part is we see huge threads bashing k/d whores yet people never are willing to play the slingshot when it is not them being slung. It is a real joke that I maybe play alch once every 20-40 games and expect a bit of room from my team like I had extended to my carries in prior games, but it never fails that they end up being k/d whores who care more about their tarnished k/d than winning. If cooperating means ensuring your team finished with K/Ds that make them feel happy rather then winning, then we have some issues.

raedric wrote:People aren't always in the best place

Ty, Raedric for supporting this point I feel is important. A great example of this was a complain Haz has against him:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=139975

Haz is a great mod who made one little inconsequential slip of poor judgment. If the mods who reviewed this would have punished Haz for it I would have stuck up for Haz and metaphored that crap outta the mod who was that dense to look past that. Instead, Merex actually did a great job summing it up
"To sum up the complaint; This was just a situation gone badly. It's best to just move on from it, perhaps settle your differences with Haz because much like yourself, he's a member of the LIHL and your playerbase is limited therefor you'll be seeing each-other in a multitude of league games."

There is also the time Haz asked for the username and password of KingKar which was a bit sketchy, but there again, a relatively minor slip (especially considering I think haz was trying to help KingKar by verifying something? --> My memory might be a bit off). But that was a long long time ago and I don't think anyone in their right mind would hold that against him this many years later (other than maybe KingKar :) ).

But the point is, all of us long time members have off days and make the odd mistake. Over a long enough timeframe we will be banned into oblivion if concessions arn't made into ban history. Like I said, I have not attempted to obfuscate or smurf my history or stats, and now I am being punished for not doing that (which seems to be only an issue with certain mods).

To be honest, I am not advocating for Merex to be lynched out of a mod position via this complaint. Merex is actually quite a good and fair mod when he dealing with issues that he has no history with or vested interest in. Like others suggested, I feel he has issues dropping quarrels that leads him to make vindictive decisions. This is why I feel these "subjective policies" need to be brought out and made black an white. It is extremely concerning to me when mods use this excuse as a reason to obfuscate their rulings:

Astros wrote:The policy has to be hidden because it can be manipulated. If people knew the formula as to how mods make their decision, it would be easy for some to circumvent around that policy.


There is literally no way you can manipulate a number-based policy. Not only would black-and-white policies make it impossible to have complaints like this, it would also make handling appeals much easier. The fact Merex and a former mods seems reluctant to publicly broadcast/discuss these policies seems to be mutually inclusive of the fact both of these mods are undeniably high-controversy mods.

It isn't just about numbers. It's the fact that it's not given to players outside of moderators because they would assume that breaking X rule would lead to Y days ban when this isn't the intent of how ENT would issue the ban duration. It's up to the mods discretion and decisions they find that are questionable is generally discussed and possibly overturned if there are any discrepancies. The fact that your ban has not been overturned or revised tells me that they have agreed, in consensus, that you deserve to be banned. In real life, do you think cops walk around the street and say, "You get 50 years of prison if you kill someone"? It's up to the judge and the details available. If you're a repeat offender, your ban will exponentially increase every instance. I'd reckon the fact you are here discussing your ban numerous times with Merex and others has some weight as to why you are banned because you should know by now what not to do.

FurionK:D's build frustrates a lot of players. Your gameplay also frustrates a lot of players. The difference is, what he does is not against the rules if he is actively helping his teammates. What you are doing involves ignoring your teammates so you can farm for a complete set of items that isn't necessary to win. Want and need are two completely different meanings.

You take your attitude as never giving up as it's a good thing here. All it means is you will continue getting banned. You're not a thorn to me or Merex at all. It takes 20 seconds for a mod to ban you for X amount of time and you certainly aren't 1/10th the annoyance King.Kar was but I'm glad you think you are a rebel of some sort.

Lastly, stop bringing up the community as if you speak for everyone. You are literally the first person to ever draw up this sort of drama to stir up an evident rule stating that you will be banned for refusing to cooperate and the obvious in which you will be banned for a longer duration of time if you are a serial offender. The majority of the community dislikes you. Stop speaking for them. None of them are speaking for you outside of King.Kar's alternate accounts.

Merex should close this thread. What has been achieved here? He won't even take a minute to download Discord to discuss the issue so it's obvious that publishing this thread is more of a hobby than a disagreement for him.
DotA 1 Discord - All Players Welcomed! https://discord.gg/6jbCdzq
DotA 1 In-House League Discord - https://discordapp.com/invite/MudFGsP


Return to “Processed Cases”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest