Thank you for applying.
Kappa
Protector of Nature

Kappa@useast

Postby Kappa » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:16 am

Name: Kappa / Michael
Discord name: Kappa#4269
Game moderator specialty (see below for choices): ID/Dota
Brief introduction: Hello, my name is Michael. Currently, I am a student studying chemical engineer at Notre Dame. My goal is to one day work for a distillery such as Budweiser. Overall, I’m a pretty regular guy from the Midwest. I enjoy sports, socializing, music, movies and gaming. Throughout my life, I have always played video games and have recently formed many new friendships as a cause. About 5 months ago, I downloaded Warcraft III after a very long hiatus. During a rusty game of Island Defense, a player sent me an invite to the Azeroth discord. Little did I know that discord link would eventually lead me to here writing this application. Over these months, my passion for gaming has been revitalized largely due to the people I have met. Before this, I never really had friends that played video games like me, and the change made games much more enjoyable.
What are your current hours of playing time (approximate): 3 PM - 2 AM Sunday - Thursday. I am typically busy with social events Friday and Saturday. My schedule also fluctuates with exams, but I am always online in discord/Warcraft III 20 hours a week or more.
What is your current time zone: Eastern time zone UTC-5:00
Describe any relevant experience, both in moderating and in Warcraft III: I was first introduced to Warcraft III by a friend in elementary school after The Frozen Throne had released. I immediately fell in love with custom games and have played every game currently hosted as a result. While I do not play most of these games anymore, I am an avid Island Defense and Dota 2 player. However, I feel more than capable of reviewing almost any game such as LTD.
In terms of moderating, I have no experience up to this point. Honestly, I never thought it was possible for me to become a moderator up until recent months. I probably wasn’t mature enough before, but I feel I am now. If you look over my history from when I joined ENT in November, I have learned quickly and can continue to do so with more complicated tools such as DRM under instruction from current moderators.
Why do you want to become a game moderator: As I stated above, I played Warcraft III back in the day and can remember countless games with toxic players and game ruiners. More modern games and gaming platforms have implemented systems to eliminate cheaters and trolls. Seeing as game ruiners still exist and Warcraft III has no custom game ban system, third party groups like ENT have taken on this role. Nothing ruins a game more than a person intentionally trying to grief fellow players. I’d love to be a part of a group where I can help players have better games.
What will you bring to the ENT/Warcraft III community: I believe I will bring an approachable personality to ENT. I love being in voice chat, playing games with others, and helping players. My expertise lies in Island Defense and Dota, and I believe I can be helpful processing more complicated requests for these games. Additionally, I have recently switched over to Windows using Bootcamp on a Mac computer. This additional knowledge of both OS’s could be useful in particular situations.
Closing Statement: I would like to address concerns now.
My experience - Many people have been on this platform longer than I; however, I am a willing to take advice from others and learn quickly.
Lack of DRM knowledge - Yes. I believe this my greatest flaw as the games I claim to know the best require the ability to detect maphack to moderate. I believe I am capable of detecting maphack through suspicious play, however, I have only used DRM a few times up to this point as I just moved to Windows. If I am accepted, I ask that someone could help me in this area.

Thank you all for your consideration. I hope I can help make the community even better.

ID:

LOD:
Spoiler!
https://entgaming.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=125944&p=488490#p488490

LTD:

Dota:

HHTD:
Spoiler!
https://entgaming.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=172&t=125633&p=487402#p487402

Appeals:
Last edited by Kappa on Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quetra
Protector of Nature

Re: Kappa@useast

Postby Quetra » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:31 pm

Very good standard of reviews, good activity, can only !support. Have no issues.
Last edited by Merex on Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Switched to the recent title (fixed)

Rain-
ENT Staff

Postby Rain- » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:29 pm

Support as well have had no issues atleast ones i review'd they were all accurate and on point.
Gl

SLiiCE
Basic Tree

Postby SLiiCE » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:56 pm

!Support Been around WC3 for a long time and would make a great admin. Fair moderator that would be an excellent addition to the ENT team. Love to see Kappa become an administrator.

Stiitchesxx
Basic Tree

Postby Stiitchesxx » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:00 pm

!SUPPORT
Kappa is the man. Respectful, good player. Would make a great addition to the ENT team! :mrgreen:

Merex
Oversight Staff

Postby Merex » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:06 pm

I've looked over most, if not all the reviews. I do like this application and the amount of time and effort both put into the reviewing process and into the application itself. I know the applicant has reached out to other moderators and accepted guidance/what-not, which leads me to believe that he can make a great moderator.

Reviews -
[Dota] LookHowYouRuinGamesWithMassRapiers - I see that you've left out a Pause. While it wasn't added by the OP, it'd be best to keep an eye out since people whom pause under invalid reasoning, fall under violation. However this is very minimal and shouldn't reflect on-to the application, just a note to be made.
[ID] DOMMMMMMMMMMUSZ - Trolling is a very vague reasoning for a ban request, and not sure why the advertisement of "twitch" was included. However, I see this BRQ is at an earlier time and no doubt have improved since then.

Those are about all I can find if I'm going to be stating "concerns", but in this case like I said both instances are very minimal and I've noticed over the past week or so that you've been providing quality reviews and have put a lot of effort and accurate information within them.

Overall, given everything I've observed/seen from this application, I have no doubt that this player can become a good addition to our team.

!support
The Slap God - An EoC Story
  • ENT Rules, Guides and more can be found on our Wiki.
  • Contact the staff & interact with others by joining our Discord.
  • Now available: Host A Game UI.

BeerLord
Protector of Nature

Postby BeerLord » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:02 pm

The post below is ridiculous. Posting a ban request for suspected maphack that is subsequently denied in no way impacts negatively on said player's ability to moderate or to investigate maphack ban requests. We have tools available and time to dedicate as staff members. Your description of his "useless comment" refers to his thanking another player for helping to catch a maphacker.

We all have acted out in games, myself included. You find a single instance and think that disqualifies him? Sorry, it doesnt, and you conveniently gloss over his apology and taking ownership of his bad behavior.

It appears you possess some personal issue with him, not the other way around as you state.
Last edited by Merex on Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: The post was deleted/re-made, edited the first sentence to say "post below" => In response to ParkMinYoung.

ParkMinYoung
Resource Storage

Postby ParkMinYoung » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:08 pm

At a glance Kappa seems to have good judgement while reviewing ban requests but has moments where he loses all composure and lacks judgement. During these moments, he runs on raw emotions and disregards the rules and he loses his "regular guy" personality in favor of a more vindictive and reckless attitude, completely disregarding all rules.

This is exemplified in this ban request. As you can see, dryad simply based where Kappa wanted to base. Kappa then proceeds to teamkill the dryad. Teamkilling alone is one of the worst offenses in Island Defense, but this is not just any teamkilling. By teamkilling at the beginning of the game, it cripples his teammate for at least the beginning phase of the game if not the rest of the game. Anyone who plays Island Defense knows how impactful teamkilling at the beginning of the game can be. It removes all source of income which has a snowballing effect for the rest of the game. Kappa, like any other ID player, knows the implications of teamkilling but due to his lack of composure, knowingly ruins his teammates game over a petty reason such as going to the base that Kappa wanted.

This is not the only example of Kappa being dictated by emotion. Kappa accused me of maphacked, posted a ban request, which inevitably got denied (which also discredits his claim of being able to detect maphack). Despite being acquitted and proven to not be a maphacker by an ENT moderator, Kappa still continued to harass me and has convinced members of the Island Defense community that I maphack. It has escalated to the point where someone went out of their way to make an account similar to mine in an attempt to get banned from ENT and discredited by the Island Defense Community.
(46:32 / Allied) ParkShinHyee: was supposed to frame the real parkshinhye for mh
Here is evidence of the community rallying against "me". All of this started because Kappa accused me of maphack and continued to be vocal about it even after a moderator has confirmed that I do not maphack. It is clear that his emotions are still dictating his actions whereas a logical person could conclude that I do not maphack.

I do not think he is fit to be a moderator at the moment because at times he does not think logically and acts upon his emotions which could then be directed towards members of the ENT community who crosses his path on a bad day, much like the dryad. If he were to wield moderator powers, the consequences may be more severe.

stasheen
Resource Storage

Postby stasheen » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:00 pm

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=125666

please I ask every moderator before giving your support to read this topic for Kappas judgement.
Im not going to support this application at all because the link speaks for itself.

In a nutshell the OP posts a BRQ on a "clear intentional game ruiner" (also suspected ip dodger)
But kappa tries defending him, and actually uses a flame excuse for a reason to ban the OP,
EVEN though You CANT ban for flame unless a player from in-game requests it!

That is insanely dangerous that this person is applying to be a mod with this kind of judgement.
On top of all of this, the OP clearly has proved that the violator was a game ruiner and kappa STILL refuses to acknowledge this,
and saying pointless reasons why the violator shouldn't be banned. He was even givin clear timestamps of game ruining, and asked to explain this, but he never did, because he couldn't. He knew what he said was wrong but never actually changed his opinion. this is what upsets me the most. Any real moderator would be on the complaints section had they acted like the way kappa did.

The community (dota players) really needs to know who they are accepting in the moderator positions.

Kappa
Protector of Nature

Postby Kappa » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:01 pm

@ParkMinYoung

Thank you for your feedback, however, you seem to have some misconceptions about me that I will try to clear up here.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=124050&p=481637&hilit=kardosomin#p481637

This particular ban request was created February 5th by myself. At this time, I had no intention of becoming a moderator and had little knowledge of using ENT. Additionally, Island Defense replays are not able to be viewed on Mac OS (my OS at the time) due to the number of characters in the map file title. This report was created entirely from my perspective as the builder and not reviewing the replay. As I know now, a maphacking request should never be made on this little information and it was wrong of me to do so. Because of this, I apologize to you for creating this ban request. Since, I have learned a lot from meticulously studying the forums and asking current moderators for advice. I encourage moderators to look past this as I did make mistakes when I first joined the platform due to inexperience. I would never make this mistake again, but I do want to to point out I mentioned some of what I said above in this request. I encourage you to look at my more recent ban requests where my quality has much better.

I can't watch replay and these are just some highlights. Titan is either real good player or he knows where we all are.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=125279&p=487117&hilit=parkshinhyee#p487117

My comment on this thread was created March 8th and is more recent. The thread was initially brought to my attention through Discord - a comment about someone maphacking and osug reviewing it. I agree with you that my comment adds no substance or value to the thread. The real reason I commented on it was because I thought osug did a good job reviewing it, and I knew he wanted to become a mod. I thought I would show some appreciation for a someone's work and perhaps make his application look better. Looking back on it now, this comment isn't necessary. You seem to think that I made this comment out of spite for my previous ban request against you being denied but this is not the case at all! I was completely unaware that Kardosomin and parkshinhye were both you! I feel bad because you think I have something against you when its not true. Honestly, I had no idea up until this point that you were one of the BTI guys. I can say right now that I do not believe you maphack and it was a misunderstanding. Any ban request I review I try to go in as unbiased as possible.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=125421&p=486524&hilit=kappa#p486524

The request for my ban was created March 10th and is more recent. There is no gray area here. My actions that game were wrong. I had some personal things going on that day (not something that is reoccuring) and I let them affect the way I treat others. I will not discuss the personal matter here as it is not the place for it but if you wish to know please PM me. Afterwards, I did my best to remedy the situation. I see this bringing up the concern that I cannot control my emotions and would abuse my tools as moderator. I can promise you that this is not the case. I am a person that finds much more joy in helping others than exerting my power over them. I cannot promise that my emotions will never show in gaming, and I don't think any person could say that truthfully. But, I can assure you that I am not ruled by my emotions. Since making the decision to become a moderator, I have been sure to reflect the values ENT Staff members should have.

Finally, I want to address the connotation you put towards Azeroth Discord and its members. I see the Discord as a fun place where gamers of all backgrounds can socialize, make friends, and share information about the game. Our goal is to being every Island Defense player into the server. I promise you I have never rallied my friends to bully another player. Your connotation makes Azeroth sound like a high school clique that bullies others to get what they want. I really am sorry if this is how you really feel. I have absolutely nothing against you and the Discord should be a place for good vibes, so it hurts me some that you feel unwelcomed seeing as I am very involved in it. However, I also cannot control 300+ people but will be more than willing to speak to some if they are causing issues for you. I encourage you to come in and join voice chat when I'm on and see if you enjoy it/we could talk about this further. I am truly sorry @ParkMinYoung and I hope this clears things up. Also, thank you for the feedback as I believe you brought up some valid concerns I did not initially address.

osug
Treant

Postby osug » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:09 am

I'll give my !support to kappa.
Do not kiss the girl who has a cold.

Panopticon
Treant Protector

Postby Panopticon » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:43 pm

Has my support.
PSA: Bigtits = Iambackk

tinker_666 = ta-ta

CalculuS
Resource Storage

Postby CalculuS » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:02 pm

Support, hes a good fella.

extremekiller
Aura Tree

Postby extremekiller » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:49 pm

!support Very active in forums and cares about the community a lot.
It's amazing where the paranoid mind can take you.

Ben_T
Treant Protector

Postby Ben_T » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:28 am

Finally had enough time to look at all of Kappa's reviews. Took a while, but after looking over all of them, Kappa has some extremely detailed reviews on ban requests. I completely support Kappa and (hopefully)look forward to seeing Kappa join the ENT Staff. I enjoy talking with him on the Island Defense discord and think he makes a positive impact on the community. I hope he can continue this positivity as an the ENT Staff member.
!support

Return to “Processed Applications”