GiU)jack@west

Thank you for applying.
JackSwift
Treant

GiU)jack@west

Postby JackSwift » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:15 am

Name: Jack
Game moderator position (see below for choices): dota
Brief introduction: My name is Jack, I've been playing dota for a very long time and would like to become more of an integral part to the dota section of ENT
What are your current hours of playing time (approximate)? This week I've been playing an extremely small amount, since I've been away on vacation, but I log a considerable amount of time when I'm at home, roughly 6 - 8 hours a day.
What is your current time zone? EST
Describe any relevant experience, both in moderating and in Warcraft III: I've run clans or been a shammy for most clans I've been in over the past 5 years, all of which died mostly because of inactivity I.e. School, and I've been playing dota for about 8 years.
Why should we accept you? I'm extremely active, I actually know what I'm talking about, and I have an extremely large amount of experience and a high level of patience (for most things). I think I can do good things with this clan if given the chance, and I could help make the site a bit more active.
Why do you want to become a game moderator? I see abuse and wasted resources and I think I could help correct that, I know how to run a large clan / community, and I actually enjoy helping ideas and leagues reach their full potential.
What will you bring to the ENT/Warcraft III community? Everything that I stated above: time, effort, solid leadership skills, activity, and hopefully help make ENT a stronger dota community altogether.

Closing statement: I think that I can help prove the general skill level of anyone that is willing to learn the wonderful game of dota by running workshops and other such things in order to teach people the finer fundamentals of dota. By doing this, I will innately create a more active clan because people want to play in a more competitive environment, and that's something that frankly can use a lot of work in ENT. However I don't mind at all if people are new, or dont really care about getting better, that's their prerogative, but the people that do want to learn, I will literally spend hours with. Other than this I can make extremely educated decisions on ban requests / appeals, and I can be a pretty helpful source of knowledge regarding most things dota. I'm a people person, I'm always willing to help, and I would love to make this clan the best it can be.

Crispz
Treant Protector

Re: GiU)jack@west

Postby Crispz » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:23 am

JackSwift wrote:
Why do you want to become a game moderator? I see abuse and wasted resources and I think I could help correct that, I know how to run a large clan / community, and I actually enjoy helping ideas and leagues reach their full potential.

What do you mean by "abuse" and "wasted resources" can you be more precise on what you are trying to say?

How are you going to get some of our "leagues/tournament" reach their full potential?

Based on your posts, have you ever considered on posting ban requests or at least be part within someone's request?
Retired. Co-Admin/Forum Mod/Dota Admin
Tommy | Visuals

uakf.b
Staff Department

Postby uakf.b » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:32 am

I like your idea of workshops to teach people DotA; can you explain more how you might get people interested and then how you would organize them?
dWFrZi5i -- 'cause I'm cool like Agreements

JackSwift
Treant

Postby JackSwift » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:40 am

Idk, for the abuse my friend was just kicked out of a dota game by an admin for shit talking, if that isn't abuse, idk what is. I don't advocate shit talking, but it is definitely a part of the game, and an admin should never, ever kick someone out of the game unless both teams deem it necessary, in which case there's a "vote kick" option. Wasted resources as in you have this great site, and all of the tangible things necessary for a clan I.e. Bots etc, but the activity and advertisement isn't there. I mean I don't know how you are advertising this tournament, but there should be a post on every general dota gaming forums on the web, reddit, gosugamers, team liquid etc etc. You have everything you need, you just have to get it out there. And I basically answered your second question with this one. But I would also find someway to get people who use the bots a lot, and use the site a lot to make 1 dollar donations for skip queue or whatever. I would also try to utilize the wonderful ventrilo system because it's amazing how useful being able to talk these things out with people would be. You could even set up a web thing where you see the ventrilo channels and all the people in them right here on the site, so it's more enticing to be active on it. As to your third question crisps, I did just make a post on a ban request, so yes I am willing to post / make suggestions on ban requests / appeals.

As for my workshops, I would set up a topic on this site in the dota section, and probably pin it, I would set up a tentative schedule where i run "party shops" where I work with groups of 4 or 9 teaching how dota runs as a team game. Then I would also set up a one on one clinic where I work on the mechanics of dota and more special requests. These would be flexible and basically just private sessions. I would use the ventrilo system and basically just afk on it so people could ask me anytime to help them out with something. This will kill two birds with one stone, by making the vent a much more active hangout for the community, and help people find me with relative ease and make teaching people relatively easy.

uakf.b
Staff Department

Postby uakf.b » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:46 am

Well, Crispz has advertised the tournament on sites like BGN, and I also saw a post about it on gosu gamers or something.
For the abuse, you can already help correct that by posting in the complaints section or PMing me or another moderator with details on what happened; have you done that?

JackSwift
Treant

Postby JackSwift » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:51 am

Not up to me, I wasn't in the game nor do I have the replay, but this is something that shouldn't even be allowed to be considered to happen. People shouldn't be moderators if they can't control themselves in a pub, or any game for that matter. Yeah there's a reason for the complaints section, but it should never be used because of abusive admins / moderators, that's how leagues / clans get bad reps.

uakf.b
Staff Department

Postby uakf.b » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:05 am

And if you never hear about a game moderator abusing his or her powers, yet it still happens, what are you going to do? o_O

JackSwift
Treant

Postby JackSwift » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:06 am

Strip someone for at least a week when they abuse, then make it progressively worse.. It's fairly simple.. On the third abuse never give it back, or even on the second one, but three if you are feeling forgiving. Not really that hard of a decision to make.

Sorry read your response wrong, I seriously doubt you will never hear of it if you have an abusing moderator.. It isn't something people are shy about pointing out.

uakf.b
Staff Department

Postby uakf.b » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:09 am

Well, I've only heard complaints for one person, and he's not a game moderator anymore.

JackSwift
Treant

Postby JackSwift » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:14 am

My friend has been at work, so he hasn't been able to post it himself, he probably will but he's gotta bunch of crap to do. And when I first joined I was repeatedly kicked out of the channel because I was simply looking for a game, I didn't know much about the clan and I didn't even know about the site so I couldn't report it, and now it's just too late, but that's just some of the examples of something that shouldn't be tolerated and hopefully will never again be an issue, I think this is kind of digressing. But that's my application, I look forward to (hopefully) becoming a more integral part of this clan.

Crispz
Treant Protector

Postby Crispz » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:26 am

JackSwift wrote:My friend has been at work, so he hasn't been able to post it himself, he probably will but he's gotta bunch of crap to do. And when I first joined I was repeatedly kicked out of the channel because I was simply looking for a game, I didn't know much about the clan and I didn't even know about the site so I couldn't report it, and now it's just too late, but that's just some of the examples of something that shouldn't be tolerated and hopefully will never again be an issue, I think this is kind of digressing. But that's my application, I look forward to (hopefully) becoming a more integral part of this clan.

I was there when you repeatedly kept getting kicked out of the clan.
Therefore, it was Emzly. She has her days when she tends to rage.

But if you're being kicked by a mod, I guess it's a user-hosted game.
Because I don't believe one of our staff members will tend to kick you out of the DotA lobby for any other reasons.
Tommy | Visuals

JackSwift
Treant

Postby JackSwift » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:31 am

"She has her days where she rages" I mean that's honestly nothing more than an excuse.. my friend was kicked in the actual game, not the lobby. but again. this is all irrelevant, please just consider my application and I hope you choose to make me a moderator

JackSwift
Treant

Postby JackSwift » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:52 am

So do I just wait for you guys to make a final decision or is there anything else I need to do?

Crispz
Treant Protector

Postby Crispz » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:33 am

JackSwift wrote:So do I just wait for you guys to make a final decision or is there anything else I need to do?

We take our time to accept someone.
I guess the longest process we had with someone is 1-2 weeks.
So I guess be patient?
We're still discussing about the application and the applicant.
Tommy | Visuals

JackSwift
Treant

Postby JackSwift » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:37 pm

Perfectly understandable, I just wanted to make sure that my end of the application was done.

Return to “Processed Applications”