r2p]NewbieFTW @ USEast

Thank you for applying.
AmnoN
ENT Staff

r2p]NewbieFTW @ USEast

Postby AmnoN » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:42 am

Name: Amnon
Game moderator specialty (see below for choices): HLW, LTD, and working on DOTA (need more practice on that one - if I am successful in my application, I would probably do more evaluating on that to get better at it prior to issuing bans).
Brief introduction: I have been around the WC3 community for over 10 years (probably since around 2003) and have seen many of the changes that it has gone through since then. Part of my experience has been being chief of a few clans (running them) and working with other players to develop communities within the game. I have been playing custom games over the years while taking to ENT moderated ones over the past several months.
What are your current hours of playing time (approximate): 12h/week
What is your current time zone: Eastern Standard Time
Describe any relevant experience, both in moderating and in Warcraft III: I have been commenting on some of the ban requests as requested by some of the moderators and seem to have received positive feedback on my assessments of the various cases. I have also played quite a bit of HLW and LTD and according to the mods that I have spoken to, I seem to have a good understanding of the rules (very high accuracy in ban requests in terms of resulting in bans). I have also been evaluating some brq's to gain additional practice including DOTA requests which I am getting better at (I do not play the game, but am learning about how brq's work for it, etc. and have gotten better at evaluating them). In terms of WC3 experience, I have been playing for over 10 years and chief of 5 clans (3 of which were ranked in the top 10 on USEast in solo, 2s, and 3s). Part of being a chief besides assigning shamans was organizing clan members, dealing with conflicts, and setting up various events (tournaments, etc.).
Why do you want to become a game moderator: As mentioned, I have played many custom games over the years and one thing in common with all of the non-ENT moderated ones including regular WC3 ladder is the lack of rule enforcement (maphacks, team killing, etc.). This has been a source of frustration for me which is why I am grateful for how ENT handles these issues - I would like to be a part of that to keep at least one facet of this game running the way that it should.
What will you bring to the ENT/Warcraft III community: I bring experience - as mentioned, playing various custom games and ladder since roughly 2003. I also have a few ideas for new ENT moderated games which have been extremely popular over the years and due to the level of moderation, I feel that they could be revived and become popular once again.
Closing Statement: If you feel that I require more practice/experience, etc., please feel free to let me know. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. To summarize my application, I have been involved with this game for over a decade and have held numerous leadership/moderator positions in various communities including top ranked clans. I would appreciate the opportunity to help moderate since that is what I appreciate about this community versus traditional ladder - rules being enforced.
Thank you for your consideration.

SLSGuennter
Protector of Nature

Re: r2p]NewbieFTW @ USEast

Postby SLSGuennter » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:01 am

This guy is a good one ^^ Anyway, imo you came kinda out of the dust and as you mentioned yourself, you need some more practice and you need to show, that your activity at brq's/appeals will keep to be good. I would say, that you should show your activity a bit longer (like 2 weeks) and then you should get promoted to a moderator, so the "chiefs" can be sure, you aint making a stiff :P

Good luck man!
Gunther and the Sunshine-Girls. Hell Yeah

AmnoN
ENT Staff

Postby AmnoN » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:45 am

@guennter Thanks :) That is what I was told. I was asked to post here and re-apply in a couple of weeks and get some more practice since I would likely be denied on my first attempt.

Larz

Postby Larz » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:46 am

Seems to be active since nov 2 at the least would like you to post instances of map hack detection and drm usages in this topic.
I see he uses them and does it well but needs to post instances here along with map hack detection
I will give my blessing once he does this until then I am neutral
@AmnoN

Haunt
Oversight Staff

Postby Haunt » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:22 am

Links to ban requests/appeals you've commented please...

AmnoN
ENT Staff

Postby AmnoN » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:43 pm

https://entgaming.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... 31#p289831
^Maphack without fogclick and explaining why some other fogclicks were NOT indicative of maphacking

https://entgaming.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... 28#p287228
^LTD Altar Glitch (DRM usage)

https://entgaming.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... 09#p291509
^LTD Altar Glitch (DRM usage)

https://entgaming.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... 42#p289842
^Pause Abuse (DRM usage)

https://entgaming.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... 22#p290322
^Complicated missed heal thread (LTD) - demonstrates knowledge of healing and of dps of creeps vs sends

https://entgaming.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... 78#p287578
^LTD Anti-stuck abuse (DRM usage)

https://entgaming.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... 68#p286968
^Confirming no maphack

https://entgaming.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... 61#p291961
^LTD Anti-stuck abuse (DRM usage)

https://entgaming.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... 66#p288766
^Proposing a rule change for Hero Line Wars (based on my experience) - I am posting this to show that I may be doing more of these down the line when I see something that could benefit from a change

If there is anything else you need whether it is more examples or other information, feel free to let me know.

Larz

Postby Larz » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:50 am

8-)
+1 i still think he might need more experience in map hack since we get a bit of them in dota and ltd but he is knowledgeable
and will not have a problem learning.

HazarDous
Staff Department

Postby HazarDous » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:49 am

Nice to see your application AmnoN.

Pros;
(+) Relatively active, both on chat and ban request sections. We talked about it and I know you are rather busy. Consistency is there so there's no problem about that. You do what you can do.
(+) Very friendly and willing to learn. Asking questions to mods when unsure.
(+) Wants to contribute to this community as much as he can by helping with ban requests and proposing changes like the HLW default mode.
(+) Decent knowledge about Moderator tools (DRM / FCD). Not sure about Replay Seeker, do you use it?

Neutral;
(+/-) We do need DotA moderators more than any other game. You lack a little bit of knowledge about that game, but in the other hand, you are trying to learn it so this is also a good thing.

Cons;
(-) 1- Might lack a little bit of knowledge about rules in general.
(-) 2- Your opinions in reviews are sometimes unclear.
(-) 3- Your posts tend to lack clarity.

Cons elaboration:

1- I noticed a few ban requests in which you showed lack of knowledge about rules.
Exemple #1: https://entgaming.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=71972
Leavers are dealt with by autoban system. We do not administer leavers, regardless of whether they plugpulled, disconnected or left voluntarily. Obviously there are some exceptions, but the exemple wasn't one of those.

Exemple #2: https://entgaming.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=72089
We do not ban players based on assumptions. Banning SirSandgroper in that ban request for intentionally lying about modes would be rather silly.
I explained more in details in the ban request itself.

**Note/Pro #3: https://entgaming.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=70875
Good thing you came to forums to get help regarding VPN usage. Wasn't really your fault since your ISP gives you a hidden IP on his own. Situation was solved thanks to that.

2- This is just a little minus. Tbh, it is probably just a communication issue.
Exemple: https://entgaming.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=72432
''Possible MH''. I would like you to be sure about it before posting. If you believe he maphacks, let us know. If you are unsure about it, drop by chat, ask moderators, and finalize your post. It is all about learning and showing us you understand. Explained it more deeply in the ban request.

3- Sometimes it is hard to understand what you mean. Either because you don't use tools at your disposal (i.e spoiler) or because you don't explain what you say clearly.
Exemple #1: https://entgaming.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=72089
Spoiler!
HazarDous wrote:First off, @AmnoN , try to make your posts more clear. Moderators simply give a quick look at this ban request and no one wants to read all of this, let alone processing it. That's why it has been here for more than a week despite being a relatively easy ban request. You should be a moderator soon if you keep up the good work and you will understand the struggle when you get there ^^.

-You forgot SirSandgroper in your violators list.
-Better make the violations in chronological order (easier to review).
-Copy pasting so much chat logs isn't always necessary since we can see it ourselves in the replay. If you do feel the need to include it as a proof in your ban request, use spoilers. Simple question of clarity.
-It is unclear how forsakame-'s trolled. Is it simply insults as in the chat logs you provided? How did that affect the game? !ignore command could probably have solved the problem and unless his trolling affected the game, it shouldn't be included in the banrequest. Insults remain, but might want to say ''Excessive flame'' instead.

Exemple #2: https://entgaming.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=72535
Nothing wrong with the ban request itself here. Just use spoilers when copy pasting long chat logs. It is more clear / easy to review. Both exemples took / are taking a while to be reviewed for that specific reason.

I am proud you to see you apply since I was the one who contacted you to know if you were interested in helping this community by becoming a Game Moderator based on criterias such as activity, written ban requests, ban history and so on...
While I trust your judgement and believe that if you become moderator you would ask help on a few things you are unsure about before processing requests, I still believe you still lack general experience and could possibly commit some mistakes. I'm sure you will be a good moderator if you keep up the good work. I still think, however, that you should do a few more ban requests to be fully accustomed before being accepted in the staff.

Work on the points I mentionned regardless of whether you are accepted or not and good luck in your application.

Mercy

Postby Mercy » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:54 am

+1

He shows promise. None of us truly started out perfect as mod-staff, and some of us are still improving.

My biggest concern is truly the usage of tools that are readily available, as well as the usage of moderation tools. The same vein that Hazard has mentioned- it is something one picks up though.

Spoilers will be an easy fix, however, if you are unsure if someone is maphacking, it is best to seek another's feedback, even when a moderator. Seek us out on chat, or private message one of us, in most, if not all cases, we can assist if we are readily available.

Good luck, you have great potential.

Hatedmaru

Postby Hatedmaru » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:26 am

Active on forum, reviews/judgement are sometimes correct, others might need further clarification -> My only issues and that i have noticed so far, would be the knowledge over general rules, the usage of tools - These ones would be easily attainable as you keep practicing doing ban requests reviews (The more you review, the more familiar/used you get to them, and therefore your reviews will be more accurate); I'd like to see a few more mh reviews (I somehow have the idea you are unsure sometimes about it - Whenever in doubt, simply ask one of us, asking and learning is good, so there's nothing wrong in asking several times if you're unsure about it , until you get used to it, and can judge better ;) )

As others mentioned i also see great potential, and therefore i'm standing neutral (positive neutral actually) since i have no doubt trusting that you will be able to catch up on these points while your application is still pending =]

Good luck!

KinG23
Protector of Nature

Postby KinG23 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:50 pm

Need to demonstrate clear understanding of the rules, and give CLEAR analysis in ban requests. Many of the ban requests you submit or those that you look at are so unclear and out of whack, it makes it very hard to follow. Also, please stay in chronological order. I'd like to see consistently clear reports and no flaw in rules before gaining my support. You will have my support in 2-3 weeks if you work on these points.
*kisses*

aRt)Y
Protector of Nature

Postby aRt)Y » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:27 pm

We will make our decision tomorrow. If there's still something anyone wants to address, do it now.
    Information, Rules, Guides and everything else you need to know about ENT is on the ENT Wiki.
      Ignorantia juris non excusat • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? • Fallacy of composition

aRt)Y
Protector of Nature

Postby aRt)Y » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:00 pm

Approved.

We will provide further instructions and feedback via pm.
These users thanked the author aRt)Y for the post:
HazarDous (Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:35 pm)
    Information, Rules, Guides and everything else you need to know about ENT is on the ENT Wiki.
      Ignorantia juris non excusat • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? • Fallacy of composition

Return to “Processed Applications”