Regarding license/cd keys

Technical Support topics will be moved here when they are Resolved.

Moderators: Oversight Staff, Processing Staff

potatopotato
Basic Tree

Regarding license/cd keys

Postby potatopotato » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:44 pm

Hi,

I have bought Warcraft 3 Reforged, and received my Warcraft 3 Classic license that way. After doing some research, I have realized there are no cd keys given by Blizzard, classic game is activated by logging in and connecting to servers. Newest official copy does not create/generate cd key files, unless you have cd keys from older copies and enter them during activation process(there are 2 choices during install, enter keys, or login to battle.net account).

I have donwloaded the ENT copy of Warcraft 3(because I want both versions), and it asks me to enter cd keys when launching wc3connect(with downloaded game files saved in C:\Users\%USERNAME%\wc3). Since Blizzard does not give classic cd keys to Warcraft 3 Reforged pre-order, I had to use random cd keys from google search.

Problem: When going to Battle.net on official Warcraft 3 copy, it warns me that my cd keys is already in use/blocked.

Workaround: From C:\ProgramData\Blizzard Entertainment\Warcraft III move files roc.w3k, tft.w3k, user.w3k somewhere else. Battle.net on official client will work again. But if I want to use wc3connect again, I need to put roc.w3k, tft.w3k, user.w3k files back where they were before launching ENT copy of Warcraft 3, or else it will ask me for cd keys again.

Question: is there a less tedious and elegant way to do it? Could you program the wc3client to automatically move(from some folder) roc.w3k, tft.w3k, user.w3k files to the C:\ProgramData\Blizzard Entertainment\Warcraft III on wc3client startup, and move these files back(to some folder) on wc3client exit? I am studying Computer Science, so I know it should be possible, but my programming skills are not advanced enough yet.

Unitil
Oversight Staff

Re: Regarding license/cd keys

Postby Unitil » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:49 pm

Hi @potatopotato

The only ways I see this being possible is to create .bat files that delete/create the .w3k files as necessary.

Delete roc.w3k and tft.w3k
Changes to w3k location and deletes roc.w3k and tft.w3k

Code: Select all

SET "w3kLocation=%ProgramData%\Blizzard Entertainment\Warcraft III"

cd %w3kLocation%
del roc.w3k
del tft.w3k

pause

Create roc.w3k and tft.w3k
Changes directory to w3k location and creates roc.w3k and tft.w3k with specified cd-keys

Code: Select all

SET "w3kLocation=%ProgramData%\Blizzard Entertainment\Warcraft III"

cd %w3kLocation%

echo placeROCCDKeyHere >> roc.w3k
echo placeTFTCDKeyhere >> tft.w3k

pause

Simply save these into two seperate .bat files that you have on your desktop, and run as necessary.
If you have any questions regarding this please let me know

DISCLAIMER
Do note, we will not provide working cd-keys for WC3, be legit or pirated. The above .bat script(s) are simply for those that run into the same issue as noted above.

potatopotato
Basic Tree

Postby potatopotato » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:47 pm

Thanks, I'll try these. Since there is no official way to buy copies with cd keys anymore(unless it's physical box), more and more people will come up with problem like this(they will start wondering why their Battle.net access is banned all of the sudden on official client). Maybe you could update wiki with info regarding Warcraft 3 Reforged Classic version?

Funny thing is, official cd keys are only needed to play on unofficial servers/networks if you are using two Warcraft 3 versions. There is absolutely no other reason to have legit key.

Unitil
Oversight Staff

Postby Unitil » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:35 pm

Sounds good, we may look at updating the wiki, but all depends on our available time to do so.

Processing.

Return to “Processed Support Cases”