Core rules : the notion of reasonable person

Suggestions will be moved here once processed.

Moderator: Oversight Staff

Sylval
Resource Storage

Core rules : the notion of reasonable person

Postby Sylval » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:02 am

Addendum to rules suggestion

Report private message
Quote message

Sent: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:36 am
Recipient: Hyo
Hello Hyo,

I haven't had the chance to discuss my suggestion thoroughly with you : Ent rules lack a very important notion which you can find in any western law system, the notion of Reasonable Person (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reasonable_person). Indeed, your rules only say what you cannot do, but don't explain how you should actually act. There is clearly a need to define what a reasonable person is on ent : people who are polite and friendly, offer help to rookies, and cooperate with their teammates. Most of the problems encountered in games originate from people not acting as reasonable persons.

Sylval
Resource Storage

Re: Core rules : the notion of reasonable person

Postby Sylval » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:34 pm

First of all, note this : what sounds like common sense to you, doesn't to all of the people. Simple concepts need to be written down, so that everyone are aware of them (this is your own principle when u ask players to c+v your wikirules).

My suggestion doesn't solely work for the votekick section of your rules. I say it covers all of your rules. Rules must be based on values and those values are impersonated by the reasonable person in general. In other words, values dictate how to behave in society. The reasonable person is the example as he offers the answer to the following question : how would a good mannered and well-intended person react to a particular situation ? With respect in regard to other people. This implies : to communicate in a polite way, to offer help when necessary, and participate in teamplay according to democratic values.

Now you say, you don't see problems? I see plenty of them since players, because of the anonymity the web offers, don't behave properly and cause other players to react in a bad way when offended, which is human. Take this drastic example : if your wife cheats on you and you kill her, you get punished for what you did, but the sentence is not the same as the one u would get for killing her for her money. The reasonable person could be the person who kills his wife in the case of adultery (temporary insanity caused by an emotional trigger) while he wouldn't be the person who kills to inherit money (as this is planning something considered as evil).

Now what should a reasonable person do on ent when offended : ask the other gamer to talk in a nice way and to explain why he behaves like that.
What should a reasonable person do on ent when he doesn't agree with his teammates' way of playing ? Explain his views in a polite way (this means factual argumentation without orders - no one is superior to other players).

If you start a votekick without trying to communicate with the other, you are not a reasonable man. And therefore, you should be punished.

If someone respects those rules, but the person he tries to communicate with just keeps trolling him, he must ignore him and report him on this site. Should he lose his temper, he should then be punished, but not as hard as the one who caused the fight.

With those rules, justice would be served in a better way and u would also educate people (there are many kids in here).

Return to “Suggestion Archive”