Divine rapier specific rule

Suggestions will be moved here once processed.

Moderator: Oversight Staff

Sylvanas
Treant Protector

Divine rapier specific rule

Postby Sylvanas » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:29 am

Back when I played ltd, people would frequently fuck over their team by not collaborating with them and not sending/upgrading along with them. Since some time, the rules were changed so that it would be a bannable offense not to do so. While teams can't be expected to be in agreement on every little decision in dota, I think getting rapier should be getting a similar treatment.

Lately, I was playing a game and my team had been ahead the entire time, until our troll (of course it had to be a troll) bought rapier without warning and lost it. We were never able to recover it and lost the game. He didn't die on purpose, but there was no good reason why we'd want to put ourselves in a situation where we could throw our advantage away in an instant when everything was going perfectly fine. He just wanted to try to get more kills and didn't care if everyone got screwed over for no good reason. It has happened to me and most people multiple times before. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe there's anything bannable about this currently, is there?

There are times to get rapier, but that wasn't one of them. My suggestion is that people should have to warn their team and get approval before getting it.

divinerape

Re: Divine rapier specific rule

Postby divinerape » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:12 am

Haha, you're probably talking about me. Was it a spectre? Anyways, to answer your question, the divine rapier is part of the game, albeit it is the most risky item. Has its benefits, and its downfalls. The reason why you can't really ban an individual item is because if you ban one, then you have to start banning most of them. Divine Rapier is the one item that actually makes dota fun, and that's the only reason dota exists, because it's fun. If you "ban" it, you risk making dota not fun, and losing players like me. I have won many many many games with the good ol' DR, and I've lost a few. But I am smart enough to get it only if it doesn't really matter. So don't focus on someone losing a divine rapier, focus on 3 or 4 bad players that cost the game instead. Good day and happy gaming!

Merex
Oversight Staff

Postby Merex » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:35 am

The above is correct. Banning an individual item or attaching a "warning" behind it isn't necessary.

Also, I doubt DR is often enough let alone a particular situation like this to merit such an implementation. I think you just had a bad gaming experience.
The Slap God - An EoC Story
  • ENT Rules, Guides and more can be found on our Wiki.
  • Contact the staff & interact with others by joining our Discord.
  • Now available: Host A Game UI.

IWinIfyoulose

Postby IWinIfyoulose » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:51 am

Getting DR as first item or when you dying a lot can be considering game ruin. If it is, report =)

Like getting dagon5 on a carry hero (lategame) vs no ghost, and when the game is even.

Or scepter on a hero that cant use it. Last time Mirana got it, shouldnt be allowed

Sylvanas
Treant Protector

Postby Sylvanas » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:25 pm

divinerape wrote:Haha, you're probably talking about me. Was it a spectre?

Like I said, it was a troll, as in the troll hero.

divinerape wrote:So don't focus on someone losing a divine rapier, focus on 3 or 4 bad players that cost the game instead.

I said there was no bad player. We were ahead the entire time until it happened. I'm focusing on the guy who bought rapier to try and get more kills and died and lost us the game.

Re-read what I said. I think I'm being misinterpreted. I'm not suggesting banning DR, it's rightfully part of the game and there are right times to get it (typically when losing, not winning). However, unlike other items, I think getting it should always be a team decision, not just something you buy on the fly because you feel like it, considering how the entire team has to deal with the risks and consequences involved. It's not a huge issue, but in my experience, DR is used most often bought in moments where it shouldn't be. I think it should be common decency to at least ask your teammates before getting it. Throwing a game by neglect is as bad as throwing on purpose.

divinerape

Postby divinerape » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:44 am

I personally tend to buy rapier in 2 cases.
1. If we have 2 sets of rax down and I have a shit ton of gold.
2. If I truly feel that unless I buy rapier, we will surely lose.

Anything else is pretty silly.

Merex
Oversight Staff

Postby Merex » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:16 am

So what you're suggesting is for DR to make a team-decision item?

-How frequently does it happen? Replays are also appreciated.
-What would be the exact "ruling" on the matter?
-Why make DR a team decision over let's say gem?
The Slap God - An EoC Story
  • ENT Rules, Guides and more can be found on our Wiki.
  • Contact the staff & interact with others by joining our Discord.
  • Now available: Host A Game UI.

pharaoh
Armored Tree

Postby pharaoh » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:50 am

Some heroes, like medusa, exist for the sole purpose of buying rapier and destroy enemy team. If rapier was intented to be a team item, it would have a cooldown or something, like gem or wards. For every game that is "destroyed" by the purchase of a rapier, there are like 1000 that get ruined from bad usage of gem-wards.
https://entgaming.net/findstats.php?id=9544417
This is the replay btw. You were Razor, a semi-carry hero that can own early-mid game with some fast items, and what you did was waste your first 2k gold on boots of travel making you useless. Maybe start a suggestion to ban people that rush travels on carries? If you went phases instead and have a normal item progression, you could win the game way before your troll buys the rapier.

Jabba41
Protector of Nature

Postby Jabba41 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:49 am

We wont implement a rule that binds buying items to a team decision.

If someone ruins the game and feeds on purpose you can report him.

Denied
Send me your best Sloth pictures for instant unban*

*individual results may vary

Return to “Suggestion Archive”