Mods and Banning

Suggestions will be moved here once processed.

Moderator: Oversight Staff

nitromon
Treant

Mods and Banning

Postby nitromon » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:52 am

Hi,

I'm always delighted to see a mod catch a rule breaker red-handedly and instantly ban them in the ban forum. However, this really isn't ethical. Mods should not be allowed to ban people in games they are involved in, there's a conflict of interest. They should be required to post ban requests like anyone else and have other mods examine the case.

Trust me on this one, you'll save yourself from a lot of problems such as accusations of mod abuse, bias, etc... In fact, most system of government have this requirement in their judicial system. A judge cannot preside over cases where there's a conflict of interest, etc...

Thanks for hearing me out!

Nitro

bezdak
Corrupted Treant

Re: Mods and Banning

Postby bezdak » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:18 am

After banning ingame we are obliged to make a forum topic and link it to one's ban. If you experienced some case of not doing it, you can report it as a mod abuse but I doubt such stuff happens.
That allows other mods to do a second review if the violator requests it.
I like the idea that mods should not ban for games they were part of and I support this suggestion, however it's most likely not gonna be accepted, since:
1. The bias accusations would be the same ("his friend lost so he banned be" stuff)
2. It would slow the process of banning, you can see we have quite a lot of ban requests opened every time
"Flame don´t make people play better" - Wolke

pr0totype
Treant

Postby pr0totype » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:00 pm

Every moderator is capable of making his or her own decision that is consistent with the rules. No matter how a ban is applied, it is always subject for review by another moderator upon request up to two times. (Initial moderator > 2nd opinion > 3rd opinion). It reduces nothing, honestly. The workload remains the same, accusations remain the same.

Even when I banned players that weren't in the game, I'd still be blamed for bias and abuse. There is no true reduction of accusations and as Bezdak said, time is short as it is, as well as staffing.

AmnoN
ENT Staff

Postby AmnoN » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:28 pm

@bezdak To my knowledge, we are only expected to create a topic for in-game bans beyond 2 days in length (unless this has changed).

@nitromon There are plenty of opportunities to get unbanned and to be perfectly honest, if a rule-breaker shows a genuine acceptance of the rule broken, it is easy to get unbanned (if the person is regular offender, this is not the case0.

nitromon
Treant

Postby nitromon » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:41 am

AmnoN wrote: There are plenty of opportunities to get unbanned and to be perfectly honest, if a rule-breaker shows a genuine acceptance of the rule broken, it is easy to get unbanned (if the person is regular offender, this is not the case0.

Hehe, well I don't actually get banned since I'm a very chill player. I think I was banned on here once like 5-10 yrs ago for griefing, which in hindsite I deserved it. Other than that, I was accidentally banned once due to a confusion with another player but was cleared and I was vindicated. Like I've said, you mods are great, a lot better than dotacash. I just posted this b/c I'm a frequent reader of the forums, just suggesting something perhaps that will help you guys out with some of your issues with people complaining about mod abuse etc.. ;)

There were a couple of the threads I read which I do agree and feel the mod in the game was not objective, let his emotions overrule personal judgement. Though I agree my suggestion will not "eliminate" the issue, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to improve the system. Anyways, it was just a suggestion. Good luck! ;)

divinerape

Postby divinerape » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:20 am

You're actually wrong in this case. Since about 80% of rule braking goes unreported, mods really should be looking out for such things in their games and punishing accordingly. I would say that an active player mod should be averaging 5-10x the bans of a not so active player one since there's about at least 1 person every game breaking a rule. True I do agree that they should at least post something on the forums with a brief description of the ban, which most seem to do anyways.

Hutzu
Protector of Nature

Postby Hutzu » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:09 am

The problem is that people, who are not seeing their fault in a scenario and just blame the mod for being a "sore loser"/"raging kid"/"power-hungry nerd" or whatever, also belong to the group of people, who say that mods are all buddy-buddy and just blindly agree with what the first mod said. Those people go out of their way to make the weirdest, absolutely no-sense-at-all connections. The workload for mods would just increase, I would say.

BeerLord
Protector of Nature

Postby BeerLord » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:15 pm

Since the percentage of bans occurring in-game is quite low, the number of abuse of power accusations in the absence of in-game actions would essentially be the same.

In addition, all in-game moderator actions are reviewed by oversight staff.

Since the vast majority of in-game actions are judged appropriate by oversight staff, in your scenario, the player would still get banned, just a few days later.

aRt)Y
Protector of Nature

Postby aRt)Y » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:54 pm

Information, Rules, Guides and everything else you need to know about ENT is on the ENT Wiki.
      Ignorantia juris non excusat • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? • Fallacy of composition

Return to “Suggestion Archive”