DOTA Guide - Syllabear

Think your strategy is the best? Let others know and help out their DotA skills!
nitromon
Treant

DOTA Guide - Syllabear

Postby nitromon » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:40 am

Oh, I dread at the same time very excited to write this guide b/c there are so many ways to play Syllabear. And you know me, I love heroes that can be played multiple ways. But in all the ways to play this hero, there really is only 1 fundamental way, which is the tank-DPS way. However, I don't play this build that much, so any other pro Sylla out there want to add, feel free to do so. I did more in the past, but these days I usually play push Sylla or just bear only, as I prefer global or lane controllers.

I'm surprised I don't really see a lot of Sylla players, especially when there are so many ways to play him. Hopefully some of you will try these out and have fun! :D

So here's a list of possible ways to play Sylla: Not all builds here are equally efficient. Some are situational, while others are counters.
Dual Bear - tank-DPS melee
Dual Bear - DPS range.
Dual Bear - Pusher, lane controller
Sylla Only - DPS
Sylla Only - tank
Bear Only - Harasser, Global, Pusher, Lane Controller.

Hero Guide to Syllabear (tank-DPS melee)
This is the standard fundamental style of playing this hero. It incorporates all his skills with items that match his abilities. However, with 12 item slots, there is still a lot of room for preference and situational. I will provide a standard start up and then explain why certain items are recommended.

Early game, you start with Sylla and bear. You want to get boots and poison orbs for both. RoB is good as they share the aura, but the item goes on Sylla and do not upgrade it in case you want a vlad. From here, you want to upgrade bear's boot to tread so he gets the 30 IAS to increase chance of root. You save Sylla's boot for later BoT upgrade, b/c in bear form Sylla loses a lot of movement. It is recommended you get a pt booster early for Sylla especially if you wish to use him to remain range for a while.

So the 1st core item recommendation is cuirass. However, how you build cuirass matters. If you are doing well, farm that hyperstone and give it to your bear. Increasing the bear's IAS increases chance of root. If you are not doing well, get the plate and chain mail first. It is recommended putting the plate on Sylla and chain on the bear. Bear is naturally tankier early, so the minor amour helps while Sylla can benefit from the stronger armor. By this time, you can either finish the cuirass and give it to Sylla or don't finish it and leave the items separated. Finish the skadi on Sylla first instead. As you probably picked up by now, I always recommend skadi over heart, especially for an agil tank.

At this point, you are already buff enough and you can consider damage. Get a basher for EACH. This is what makes this hero so dangerous - 2 bash + 1 root.

So summarize at this point: Bear - tread + basher, Sylla - Boot (BoT), skadi, basher, RoB, cuirass

At this point forward, it really depends on the game and whatever your preference. Remember, most items should go on Sylla first before bear. If bear dies, Sylla can keep fighting.

Vlad - Vlad is good b/c both bear and Sylla share the lifesteal. You can get this earlier if you want and it helps you farm and fight. However, to be a real threat lategame, you want to get a satanic to stack that skadi. You can actually get both if you want, but it is redundant as you can get other items.

Drum - It increases movement speed for both Sylla and bear. It is a good early item, but you might not want it lategame.

SnY - I wouldn't recommend it b/c you get plenty of movement with your rabid + BoT. You also have skadi to slow and 2 bashers + root.

Butterfly - Always recommended for agil heroes, especially agil tank. It is a lategame item, so definitely recommend.

Final item recommendation for Sylla - BoT, skadi, cuirass, basher/abyssal, butterfly, satanic
Final item recommendation for bear - Tread, poison orb, basher (anything you want after filling up Sylla's items, you can even get support items to support your Sylla.)

There really isn't much strategy as you just bulldoze your way through anything. You can tank, you can kill, you can do just about everything. Watch out for WD or Lich.

Skillwise - level bear first then rest whichever you want, get ult along the way.

Hero Guide to Syllabear (DPS Range)
Now DPS range is similar to tank-DPS melee, with the exception of a few items. It is less "fundamental" as you do not use his ult. Essentially, you are playing 2 heroes, 1 tank and 1 range DPS. In this build you want to split items more evenly, though still favoring Sylla over the bear.

I still recommend cuirass first as it shares IAS and armor. However, you may want to put the item on the bear this time since you want him to have more armor to tank. Your hero still wants skadi so it helps you slow your opponent while 2 of you chase it down. Since in Sylla form, your hero moves faster, you may want tread for most of the game and it gives you that IAS.

From this point forward, you want to build Sylla hero as a DPS range. You can get lothar if you wish to flank. However, unlike other range heroes, you will always have a tank to back you up so you might not need it. You probably don't need satanic, instead get a mjolnir and cast it on the bear to tank. I would still recommend butterfly, but your damage item can either remain abyssal or get a crit or mkb instead. Now some players I've seen gets radiance for the bear to harass while tanking. I don't recommend this at all b/c radiance is a really expensive item and getting it early is bad unless you have a specific reason to get it.

Final item recommendation for Sylla - Tread (BoT), skadi, mjolnir, butterfly, Crit, Abyssal (last 2 items can be swapped out for situational or any other range DPS items you like.)
Final item recommendation for bear - Tread, cuirass, basher, poison orb (any other tank items after finishing Sylla first, just remember he doesn't benefit from stats so you want to get VG, soulbooster, shiva, etc...)

So you play the bear as the tank and Sylla as the DPS. Cast the mjolnir on the bear and let him lead. If you have lothar, you can position yourself in flank and use the bear to lure. etc..

Skillwise - level bear first then rest whichever you want, however skip the ult and get +2.

Hero Guide to Syllabear (Pusher)
Now I actually love this build, though it does get some use to. Your teammates may be confused at first, but they'll get it once you start doing your thing. Having 2 units with slots allow you to double certain push items, namely? Book! ;)

Start off with just boots for both. You don't need tread for bear, however eventually you'll need BoT for Sylla to push. Rush level 1 book for both first, instead of leveling 1 of them to 3. This way you can cast them both and have 4 level 1 necros. Then finish and level both to 3 and you will have 2 level 3 books. This is a nightmare for your enemies, as again people underestimate book. This is not just good for pushing, but good for attacking.

Your next items are 2 manta, one for each. Yes, the bear can cast manta. Now why this works is that battlecry will work on all your units including necros and manta. I don't think rabid does, but I might be wrong. Usually this is as far as I get and enough to win the game. But should you need more, you can always consider a radiance and mjolnir to kill creeps fast. A vlad in this case would be great and cuirass will armor and increase IAS of all your necromons and images. This is a very scary build for your enemies and you can literally just suicide raxes. You'll get so much gold anyways it doesn't matter if you die.

Final item recommendation for Sylla - BoT, book 3, manta (then if the game is still going - vlad, cuirass, drum)
Final item recommendation for bear - boot, book 3, manta (then if the game is still going, radiance, shiva, etc...)

Hero Guide to Syllabear (Sylla only DPS)
Now this is a counter build, for when they picked a WD or Lich after you picked Sylla. It is not as effective and definitely not fundamental, but it does work and I have actually tried it. There is some logic to it in sense why it works, but again it is up to the player.

You start with Sylla, don't get bear. You level rabid and synergy. Synergy actually increases the duration of rabid. You don't get your ult. You get +2 instead. You can actually skip synergy if you like and get +2 instead. Don't underestimate +2, 5 level of those is like a free ultimate orb.

Like all range DPS, I recommend lothar for flanking. You keep rabid on yourself all game to give you the increase movement and IAS. Get tread as boots. Now, I actually would recommend SnY/manta, though you can skip it. The reason is the same for both yes or no. Your rabid gives you movement speed, so you don't need it. But your rabid gives you movement speed, so it stacks on it nicely. Since you only have 1 ability, might as well build upon it and increase your movement and IAS. After this, you can get your first damage item, which I recommend a crit. From here if you want a little more bulk and IAS, again get skadi. Then you can consider another weapon or get a butterfly/cuirass, etc.. If you want to be a little tankier, get satanic.

Just play him like any other DPS. Flank your enemies, defend your tanks. But with SnY or manta, you move extremely fast to get out trouble.

Final item recommendation for Sylla - Tread, Lothar, SnY/manta, Buriza, Skadi, butterfly/cuirass
Final item recommendation for bear - :(

Hero Guide to Syllabear (Sylla only Tank)
I actually don't expect anyone to try this build. Again it is not fundamental b/c you only build upon 1 skill. But likewise it is a counter build if their team counter picked Sylla or you need an "early" tank. Sylla can be an effective tank b/c of the HP gain from his ult and you sacrifice his 3 skills for the +2, essentially getting a free ultimate orb. So you build this as a straight up tank.

The ONLY skill you get is the ult, getting +2 for everything else. It sounds silly, but 5 levels of +2 is a free ultimate orb by the time you get your ult. Then you just keep stacking +2 with each level. Your item choices start with boot and change to str tread, then BM, then whatever tank items you want - BM, heart, satanic, skadi, shiva, mjolnir, etc...

By late game though, you will still have researched your other abilities including rabid and synergy. So you still can tank via DPS and IAS such as skadi + satanic. However, you choose your items base on the flow of the game, you may not need satanic if you were able to successfully tank earlier.

The question people ask is, "Can't this be done with any hero?" Theoretically yes, but what makes it work for Sylla is his ult's HP gain + the stats gain. Also his ult is permanent, not time limited. It is able to be tanky early and quickly. By lategame, he really is just like any other tank. So this is mainly when you need a strong tank in the early stage of the game.

Final item recommendation for Sylla - Tread, BM, VG for start and sell for skadi, satanic, butterfly, cuirass
Final item recommendation for bear - :(

Hero Guide to Syllabear (Bear Only)
Before you cringe, I ask you to give this a chance. I know there are a lot of ruiners that screwed this build, but this build is actually in my opinion the best build and my favorite, though it is not a fundamental build. Most definitely I do not recommend a dagon. I use to play this build so much, I had a account devoted to it called Ped0bear. ;)

The purpose of this build is not to steal kills with a dagon. The build is a global controller, lane controller, harasser, pusher, etc... all in one. This is why the items must reflect maximum AOE potential and not just getting dagon kills. I pretty much never get dagon.

First, you get a boot for Sylla and you rush that radiance by 15 minutes. Then you put the radiance and boot on the bear and leave Sylla at base. You level bear first follow by 1 level of rabid and then synergy first. Synergy increases the duration of rabid. You can skip his ult if you like, but I usually get it b/c I cannot farm the radiance before level 6 and bear mode helps you neutral. Also, if they have Spec or Zeus, lategame they can kill your hero at the fountain if you don't have ult.

Now with radiance, you farm creeps by going into lanes, but more so you "redirect" creeps by pulling them away. You also harass enemy heroes to disrupt them from farming. Even if you don't get a kill, they have to TP to heal or just run. In team fights, you tank b/c the bear is tanky early.

Your 1st core item is BoT, this allows you to TP to lanes to push and control. It also increases your chance of evasion if enemy decides to wack you. Remember to keep rabid on so your bear can move fast. If the enemy attacks you often, you might want to consider a BM next to keep them off. However, most times you can just run into fog and recall back to base. Your worse nightmare are slowers, not disablers. Disablers you can evade, but multiple slowers... they can kill you quite easily if they are DPS. PA and Drows and maybe snipers will require you to get a BM.

Now whether or not you get a BM, your core after BoT is situational. It is either a mjolnir or Book. The preference is mjolnir as it makes your bear a complete nightmare to the enemy during team pushes. I've had games where my team farmed while waiting for my mjolnir. Once I have it, we bulldoze through mid and rax immediately. I got 4 kills off mjolnir alone.

However, book is also good and it is preferred when they have invisible heroes. Book can also allow you to skip BM. When a Drow is wacking me, I launch the necromons at her. Necro + radiance is instant kill on early weak heroes, the prey becomes the hunter. You chase them down.

After this point, it is completely up to you and the game. A guinsoo is always appreciated by your teammates but you can also increase your tanking ability with a shiva. You can even get a cuirass! It increase the armor and IAS of your allies as well as necros if you have book.

This is the one build which actually increases my APM when I play, I end up in the "zone" where I don't think anymore, everything is muscle memory and just controlling the map. I love this build, but I don't play it much b/c people complain about it from both sides. However, like the support Treant, I have a high 90% win rate with this build.

Final item recommendation for Sylla - :(
Final item recommendation for bear - Radiance, BoT, Mjolnir, Book, Shiva, cuirass. (You can also supplement for BM, guinsoo, dagon, etc...)

Remember, your job is to control the lanes, TP to push etc... and in teamfights, you tank and support. His "recall" works like Tinker, where if you are low during a team push, you recall back and heal, then return with BoT. Likewise, if the bear is killed, instantly respawn him and continue. This is why he is so cheap. You have to essentially kill the bear twice to make Sylla player wait for CD.

Conclusion:
OMG! That is a lot of different playing styles and roles! Is this hero FUN or what!??! :D If you've never played this hero or you've only tried one of the roles before, give the rest a try. You'll find yourself falling in love with this hero all over again!

xSAINTx1
Treant

Re: DOTA Guide - Syllabear

Postby xSAINTx1 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:28 pm

I like sylla bear, and think he's not a bad pick against some matchups like techies. I watch quite of bit of Admiral Bulldog's dota 2 stream where he only really plays nature's prophet and lone druid. I will refer to the sylla as druid, and summon bear as bear only (or alfredo for the bulldog fans out there). Sylla can be played in all lanes, and depending on the meta game, and patch, he was played in the mid, safe, or offlane, and sometimes woods, until the jungle was nerfed heavily. On this patch, sylla can be played in any lane that is needed. The typical build is to start with quelling blade stout and a ring of protection, which can all be given to the bear at the start because he will benefit more from quelling blade +damage (being melee) and will be tanking creeps/drawing creep aggro if you hit enemy heroes. The initial skill build should be lvl 1 bear, synergy, bear, rabid, bear, synergy, bear, ulti, etc. Always level up bear to 4 by lvl 7, and depending on how the lane is going, you can level ulti (which is only useful for fights and pushing towers). Druid's ulti provides more hp and armor along with the active skill battle cry, which improves the damage of himself as well as his bear for 5 seconds, at the cost of movement speed compared to normal druid form. When farming or moving around the map stay in druid form, but when taking objectives, pushing high ground, or big teamfights break out, switch to bear form. The only real items sylla needs early game is phase boots and orb of venom, which both go on the bear, and normal boots on the druid. The bear DOES NOT benefit from any stat items, so getting anything other than BOT, normal boots, or phase is pointless (treads is ok on the druid), as well as items like heart, butterfly, etc. The druid does not really ever opt for damage in the standard build, but more to survive during fights if he is focused, allowing his bear to do all the damage.

After the initial starting items of stout, qb, and ring of protection upgrade to phase boots and orb on bear, and normal boots on druid. The ring of protection can be used to upgrade to tranquils for the druid, or vlads for late game dps aura, as well as lifesteal for all melee summons/heroes. In most games, I rush hand of midas, as it provides +30 AS, and improved rate of farm and levels. After midas, the first option in almost all games is radiance. If your farm in the early game was dogshit, just go straight for radiance, as a late midas will mess up other item timings and prevent you from fighting early. Once radiance is acquired, place it on the bear, allowing you to farm the woods and lane very quickly, as well as provide +65 damage for bear to siege towers effectively with his demolish passive. The next item should be assault cuirass, which is also to be placed on the bear. Get the hyperstone first and give it to the bear as it will improve his dps, and root proc chance. The armor parts are useful on the druid to prevent him from being physically bursted down too quickly. After AC, get mjollnir and basher for the bear. These two items will improve his root chance, farm speeds, teamfight potential with mjollnir active, and base race capabilities: bash also stacks with root, having separate proc chances). By the time radiance, AC, mjollnir and basher are complete, the game is usually over. With these core items, druid typically has 2500 hp, 25 armor, and can tank most engagements, while the bear shreds the hell out of everything. If the game went well, with midas, radiance and mjollnir, you will have the most farm by far, and will reach lvl 25 many minutes before all other heroes. If the game is to drag on, I generally get items to keep the druid alive in fights, as the bear will soon become too soft vs other physical carries such as lifestealer, tb, slark, etc. The best items for druid is ghost scepter, pipe of insight, crimson guard, vlads, meka, hex, shiva, and heart. Get whatever is situationally necessary to survive the game, and create space for your bear to hit everything in its path.

Things to remember when playing sylla bear, is that his bear never benefits from stat items, so don't waste his valuable 6 slots on said items. I don't think dagon is ever necessary, as it doesn't provide much base kill potential, AS, or farm speed. If you can win with a dagon, then literally any other item would also win you the game, or you are so far ahead, that it doesn't fucking matter what item you get, as the game is already won. Also, skadi doesn't seem useful for its extreme cost, as the stats aren't really that useful on the druid who doesn't have mana problems, and already has ridiculous MS at late game, and the bear doesn't benefit from any of the stats (not even the agility). If you get to a 2 hour game, maybe skadi or a second abyssal on the druid would be a value item, but in most cases, just stick to a defensive item or two on the druid, and all damage on the bear. Lone druid should almost all games be played as a core/farming hero, as other heroes can support better then him. I have seen some ranged druid carry builds such as deso s/y on the druid, and mjollnir etc, on the bear, but I prefer to play him with the standard build. To each his own, have fun playing DotA! xD
These users thanked the author xSAINTx1 for the post:
nitromon (Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:12 am)

nitromon
Treant

Postby nitromon » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:20 am

xSAINTx1 wrote:I like sylla bear, and think he's not a bad pick against some matchups like techies. ... Lone druid should almost all games be played as a core/farming hero, as other heroes can support better then him. I have seen some ranged druid carry builds such as deso s/y on the druid, and mjollnir etc, on the bear, but I prefer to play him with the standard build. To each his own, have fun playing DotA! xD

Very interesting build I've never actually considered placing the emphasis on the bear over Sylla before, but I can see your rationale behind it. I think I've seen something like this before and I commented to the player that he sure loves his bear and spoiling him. :lol:

I sure hope more players will give Sylla a try, it really is a fun and interesting hero.

req
Aura Tree

Postby req » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:03 am

I like reading your guides thank u for your effort, and xSaintx too! I like playing sylla in general eventho I don't pick him often lately because i get caught up with trying to pick counters/or heroes to support/help the carries of my team.
I have a question, regarding the lifesteal (vladi or domi) isn't it effective to make a vladi and keep it on bear so i can avoid to get helm/satanic on sylla and just use that additional slot for something else of my choice? The times I've played sylla i was avoiding to get lifesteal because the game was escalating in such a way that pretty much forced me to try and focus on quick dps/IAS/ items to play aggressively instead of like for example stay farming for a good while until i get the preferable build.
What I found working well for me was to go with:
BOT/basher,radi (not always radi since its pretty expensive item but yeah just saying)AC on BEAR.
BOT/basher(abyssal), skadi, s&y,mkb on SYLLA.(Always with ulti-bear form).

Now about the lifesteal. Im puzzled when it comes to vladi/domi/mom. I will explain why. As I mentioned it's often times I get stressed with how the game escalates and I end up buying mom for some quicky IAS early game and going further with the entire build I mentioned above if the game takes long. My question is.. should I avoid mom and make a vladi to keep on bear only and just build fully the sylla? The above built I mentioned is 5 slots so far.on sylla. So what if i used that 6th slot for a bfly or mjolnir for example? or depending of the situation something else like BKB or whatever I need. Do I need absolutely domi for satanic on sylla? Or the vladi to be on sylla and not the bear?
I'm sorry if I sounded confusing lol but Im puzzled abt the vladi/domi/mom. These 3 items regarding their best usage on sylla.

I'd appreciate your feedback
These users thanked the author req for the post:
nitromon (Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:51 am)

xSAINTx1
Treant

Postby xSAINTx1 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:52 pm

I have seen some pro players make items such as mask of madness or lothar on the spirit bear to increase his attack speed and to better split push. I feel these items are more suited for a non easy mode game type because MOM makes the bear more vulnerable to death, and in easy mode everyone acquires items very quickly. Lifesteal generally isnt needed on a hero like sylla as he isnt the strongest late game force. His standard build is to get radiance around 13-20 mins, to clear waves and farm fast, and to chase with the bears high movement speed. Sylla wants to end games early, before his enemies are able to kill his bear. With heart, I'm pretty sure the spirit bear only gets to a maximum of 3000 hp which is only +300 from what it is without heart, so it doesn't gain any reasonable returns for a 5k gold item. Vlads is a cheap lifesteal item which helps the entire team for 15% damage aura, as well as lifesteal, which may be useful in clearing waves quickly if the enemy have killed some of your barracks, or to provide your own creeps with much needed armor and damage. In most cases, you should aim to end the game in around 20-40 mins with sylla, as other carries will be able to kill sylla and his bear quite quickly in the ultra-late game. Dominator could also be useful in using the creep to assist in pushing or further team utility with centuar stun, alpha wolf command aura, or kobalds movement speed aura.
nitromon (Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:51 am)

nitromon
Treant

Postby nitromon » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:01 am

req wrote:I'm sorry if I sounded confusing lol but Im puzzled abt the vladi/domi/mom. These 3 items regarding their best usage on sylla

Hey thanks for contributing to the discussion. I think there is a lot of room for situational choices especially when Sylla is both a very good farmer and has so many slot choices.

I know I use the word "fundamental" a lot, but it has a strict meaning enforcing the idea of combining items and skills with the hero and game stages. But that doesn't mean people couldn't get other items that may not be as fundamental.

For example, I think MoM is an item that only works well with heroes that can supplement the 30% extra damage taken. Naix would be a great hero to use MoM early b/c it gives him movement, IAS, additional lifesteal - things he needs especially early and his avatar mode, eliminates that 30% extra damage take. (I need someone to confirm this as I haven't played Naix in a while and don't know if the modern version still supports this)

Void is another hero that benefits MoM b/c his ult freezes the enemy so he can't get hit (except for range heroes that he misses). This is why going MoM with SB is very risky. It can be successful on players that know when to charge and when to run. It absolutely doesn't work on majority of SBs who charges into team fights and turns on MoM, turning the SB into cheese.

----

Can Syllabear go MoM? I can think of situations where it would be great. But fundamentally speaking, I don't think it is a Sylla item. Now of course, the best Sylla items are items that they both can share such as Vlad, Cuirass, Drum, etc... and to be honest, you can play most games with those. But for the guide, I suggested items to "maximize" his potential and able to handle late game biggies such as LC, Slark, etc... but of course it is still situational, if they have a PL, you want that Mjolnir. Since it doesn't stack with Satanic, you will need that Vlad. I don't think the bear can get Mjolnir since it cancels the root.

:)

xSAINTx1
Treant

Postby xSAINTx1 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:28 am

Mjollnir and spirit bear root are two different entities, and do in fact stack. Root is not an orb (does have some cooldown delay between each cast), or a buff placer, so mjollnir, basher and root all work in unison. From my understanding of MOM, bkb does not remove the 30% damage debuff, it only makes you spell immune (nukes, some stuns, etc). On naix, yes his AS and MS would be high, but he would still take +30% damage from physical sources while in rage, which is pretty dogshit if you ask me xD since naix's main counters are heavy physical dps heroes (with lower hp, higher armor), illusion and evasion heroes (ie. PA, PL, TB, AM, Slark, etc.). Still could be a viable item if you covered your weaknesses, such as AC and heart, and avoid items that give raw AS such as mjollnir of butterfly, etc. Naix can be fun with race car build and radiance to chase :P (phase boot, drums, s/y).
nitromon (Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:36 am)

nitromon
Treant

Postby nitromon » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:05 am

xSAINTx1 wrote:Mjollnir and spirit bear root are two different entities, and do in fact stack. Root is not an orb (does have some cooldown delay between each cast), or a buff placer, so mjollnir, basher and root all work in unison.

Oh? lol I'm learning new things everyday. A lot of these things I test in the AI map, but I noticed some of the things in that version is different than the game version. If bear can get Mjollnir, that is extremely helpful if Sylla needs Satanic lategame. :D

but he would still take +30% damage from physical sources while in rage, which is pretty dogshit if you ask me xD since naix's main counters are heavy physical dps heroes (with lower hp, higher armor), illusion and evasion heroes (ie. PA, PL, TB, AM, Slark, etc.). Still could be a viable item if you covered your weaknesses, such as AC and heart, and avoid items that give raw AS such as mjollnir of butterfly, etc. Naix can be fun with race car build and radiance to chase :P (phase boot, drums, s/y).

Yeah, most people don't seem to like it :D , which is good b/c it is actually quite effective early in the game and I would hate to play against a Naix with MoM, it was my core build when I use to play him. Early when Naix is still low on IAS and his abilities haven't been fully researched (such as duration of slow and rage), an enemy can escape if the slow went away and he didn't finish the kill. Or if his Rage duration expired, a Lion or Lina can stun him and kill or run. The IAS of Rage stacks with MoM and with the additional movement, it allows him to solo kill almost any agil/int heroes in the early stage and str heroes in ganks. The lifesteal is also good b/c his feast is based on enemy's current HP and becomes weaker as the enemy hero becomes weaker.

Most people like to go armlet, which gives IAS and bulk. But it doesn't give that movement and I've seen many times heroes barely escape with Naix unable to catch up after the slow expired. Lothar would be a viable replacement as 1st item as well. It gives the ganking element, but likewise once the slow goes off, he couldn't keep up and finish the kill.

MoM is surprisingly affordable, you can get it almost right away just by farming in the lane especially if you can get a couple of fast early kills. I always lane with Naix than jungling. His slow is just too good and with a partner, you can often get a kill by level 3-4. Usually with just tread, poison orb, RoA, MoM, you can take out most heroes easily within early stage first 20 minutes of the game.

Usually after that it would depend if I am doing well, I get basher, if not, get SnY and skadi. I've never actually played a Naix long enough for all 6 slots, so I never had the chance to replace the MoM in lategame. But I would probably replace it with a satanic as again I prefer to play it safe and give him that 2nd lifesteal. ;)

Return to “Strategy”