What makes LTD fun?

Talk about all Legion TD versions here.
Hakuna
Forest Walker

What makes LTD fun?

Postby Hakuna » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:43 pm

Obviously the word and concept of "fun" is really vague. Pretty much everyone has their own definition, and preferences.

In general, I would like to propose there are a few typical things that people enjoy:

• Creative expression
  • Organization
  • Competition
  • Mastering something through practice

Creative People
When you find a new strategy that you have never seen before, or discover a niche for a tower you previously thought was useless, this can be a lot of fun due to creative expression. Being able to do things in a new way, either new to you or new to the meta-game, is a key factor for creative expression. The random-factor of the Prophet is what provides this creative expression when playing Legion TD.

Organized People
Being able to execute a plan perfectly or get ideal focus on a boss wave due to unit placement is a reward for the organized. Being able to manage your wisp count vs tower value in order to hold the waves with the minimum amount possible is a large part of the game. Coordinating with teammates on sending and on building is crucial to playing competitively.

Competitive People
Often, the outcome of the game comes down to the team-mates you get. This can be extremely frustrating for highly competitive people. They might do every little thing right but because their team-mate was not playing correctly, the game is lost anyway. Legion TD lends itself quite well to being competitive, since there is a very fine line between holding and leaking on a send wave and winning or losing a race send. Many strategies exist to milk the most power out of the best players, such as allocating extra gold to them via strategic leaks or giving them control of the king.

Masters
Legion TD is very good at rewarding practice. There are 90 base units, each with at minimum 1 upgrade, resulting in more than 200 towers to learn. Generally speaking, most of them work best paired with other towers, and have strong and weak waves. Due to the sheer volume of content in the game, the more you play the better you will become, almost without a limit. At the same time, Legion TD doesn't suffer from the usual "high learning curve" that many games of similar complexity have which discourage newbies from learning. Although the competitive team-mates will often drive away new players with anger and impatience, the game itself is generally appealing to learn for new players.

Which of these groups are you most defined by? Do you find any of these things lacking in Legion? Would you like to see more attention given to rewarding one or more of these categories? Are there any categories that I missed?

Cheers.
Who am I in game?
hakuna@EntConnect
ChunkyKong@USEast
Visit my Wiki! Link

Jabba41
Protector of Nature

Re: What makes LTD fun?

Postby Jabba41 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:48 pm

I think i started to like LTD because i sucked so much at the beginning (620 ELO) and then discovered how to play, mixing units... trying new ways to build... adding a unit hre and there and noticing it makes a difference.

Ì've met nice people while playing, one of them acutally became my friend over the years. Its always fun to play with others just talk/relax, as LTD is a very slow game.

Im like the competetiveness sometimes and go 1200+, but i enjoy the 1200+ players more usually as its fun (sometimes stressfull... but i guess admin commands make up for this usually :D )

All in all : LTD is exactly the kind of game that i need when wanting to chill or do 2 thhings at the same time.
amazing game, amazing players, amazing trolls.
Send me your best Sloth pictures for instant unban*

*individual results may vary

Hakuna
Forest Walker

Postby Hakuna » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:26 am

Jabba41 wrote:I think i started to like LTD because i sucked so much at the beginning (620 ELO) and then discovered how to play, mixing units... trying new ways to build... adding a unit hre and there and noticing it makes a difference.

Ì've met nice people while playing, one of them acutally became my friend over the years. Its always fun to play with others just talk/relax, as LTD is a very slow game.

Im like the competetiveness sometimes and go 1200+, but i enjoy the 1200+ players more usually as its fun (sometimes stressfull... but i guess admin commands make up for this usually :D )

All in all : LTD is exactly the kind of game that i need when wanting to chill or do 2 thhings at the same time.
amazing game, amazing players, amazing trolls.

Troll Champions!
Who am I in game?
hakuna@EntConnect
ChunkyKong@USEast
Visit my Wiki! Link

item
Aura Tree

Postby item » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:34 am

What makes it fun? Enemies like this one :D

I was so confused about the late kills 1, god damn.
Attachments
LastReplay.w3g
(102.13 KiB) Downloaded 46 times

KiwiLeKiller
Treant Protector

Postby KiwiLeKiller » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:34 pm

For me the fun of LTD comes from mixing units. I find absolutely (or almost) no fun in playing units like elite archers, blasters, etc. where you just build this specific unit and follow a "conventional" build. For me, the fun happens when I get a roll I need/want to yolo and make the best out of it, where I mix units and maximize my push, etc.
These users thanked the author KiwiLeKiller for the post:
Hakuna (Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:42 pm)
"in a moment of extreme passion"
- Beastman (2017)

Anda
LIHL Staff

Postby Anda » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:06 pm

Gamewise i like to play my line but always thinking about the others strengths and weaknesses aswell and finding the best way to survive critical waves / hit the knockout punch on opposite team.

The real deal for me is the community though, over all years of me playing here ive met hundreds of friendly people, and on the opposite side just a handfull i blatently cant stand seeing in the game. Be that back in the days on the 3.5 beta bot, 1200+ or now lihl...otherwise i wouldnt put the hours in to help manage this group of hotheaded but all in all nice people.
Thats the real benefit for me, nice people that are kind to each other (most of the times at least :D) and trying their best to play with everybody no matter the skill difference.
Oh and tariq of course, love you brother <3

wotkd8068
Armored Tree

Postby wotkd8068 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:25 pm

Aa

cantwakeup
Resource Storage

Postby cantwakeup » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:42 am

chill game, can listen to music, utilizes brainpower over mechanics, kinda like chess
also if u do the math theres more legion games than there are 52! (52 factorial) making it more fun than poker

nicolai123
Treant

Postby nicolai123 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:45 pm

cantwakeup wrote:chill game, can listen to music, utilizes brainpower over mechanics, kinda like chess
also if u do the math theres more legion games than there are 52! (52 factorial) making it more fun than poker

im genuinly curious regarding how u arrived at that number.

Hakuna
Forest Walker

Postby Hakuna » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:22 pm

I do not know what he meant by "more legion games than 52!". 52! = 8x10^67. I believe poker is played with 5 cards, though I do not play poker so I could be wrong. 5 cards in 52 would be 52!/47! or 2.5x10^59, though there is probably more to the game than just what 5 cards one player has. 52! I believe would be the number of different ways a deck could be shuffled, which doesn't seem like that useful of a number.

There are 15 towers per tier, and 6 tiers, so for a given roll you have 15^6 or 11,390,625 possible combinations. If you counted all 7 rolls each player gets as well as the 8 players in the game, you would have 56*(15^6) which is 637,875,000 or 6.3x10^8. This still is 51 orders of magnitude short of the poker comparison he made, if only counting the smaller number I mentioned, which is comparing the complete rerolls of all 8 players with one poker player's one hand. Not a very good comparison. Comparing all the hands all the players in a game of poker get would be far more comparable, and then we would be talking an even larger gap.

Anyway long story short he's flat wrong but that doesn't change his conclusion being that Legion TD is more fun than poker. That part I can agree to.
These users thanked the author Hakuna for the post:
Jabba41 (Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:49 am)
Who am I in game?
hakuna@EntConnect
ChunkyKong@USEast
Visit my Wiki! Link

GreenLikeHerbs
Aura Tree

Postby GreenLikeHerbs » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:04 pm

Teamkill
These users thanked the author GreenLikeHerbs for the post (total 2):
IamHodor (Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:13 pm) • Augustinus (Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:54 pm)

Vendeta
Treant Protector

Postby Vendeta » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:43 pm

Oh my god, he is back
D.S. 1989

Return to “Legion TD”