lihl application requirements...

Moderator: LIHL Staff

Hakuna
Forest Walker

lihl application requirements...

Postby Hakuna » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:28 am

Hey so I am just looking into this because I like playing Legion at a competitive level, and I find the regular ENT bots to be full of a lot of...nonsense. Now, I get why a screening process is required, because if there is to be any sort of assurance that the lihl would be more professional, not just anyone can be allowed to join it. (though at the same time, presumably being vouched is available for re-evaluation, should the situation warrant)

I mainly want to ask, is the main point of the lihl that really good players that know all their stuff can be sure they will be playing against others of similar calibre, or what exactly is the criteria? I consider myself to be extremely well-versed at the game, knowledgeable about all the units in terms of strengths/weaknesses, (with some exception for units that are generally under-estimated and so am not as familiar) and have played for quite some time (since 2009). I do not have a 1200+ account, nor have I ever.

I really want to play with others who are just as serious about playing smart and having a good time working as a team, rather than the usual toxic/silent team situations that one gets stuck with most of the time. Worth asking though, are the players in lihl more respectful to each other, or are they just more successful versions of the toxic people in regular Legion Mega?

I've generally attributed this to my lack of desire to stack myself in lobbies with the "good" team, rather preferring to take my lumps and play for the fun of the match rather than being a stickler about winning. I also really like being in the "underdog" position, so being on the low-elo team often gives satisfying comeback possibilities, whereas winning what feels like a pre-set match just isn't as satisfying.

I'm guessing few-to-none of you guys would care much what I think about stacking in lobbies, but I felt it was worth saying. Eh.

Now, TL:DR, I want to know if it is at all possible for serious players who know their stuff to go through a vouching process without having a 1200+ account. Would replays in regular queue suffice?
Who am I in game?
hakuna@EntConnect
ChunkyKong@USEast
Visit my Wiki! Link

TinSoldier
Treant Protector

Re: lihl application requirements...

Postby TinSoldier » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:00 am

The reason why 1200 lobby games are used is because LIHL uses the same set of rules as the 1200 bot, the main one being no cross building. A lot of the meta/skills you gain from the normal public legion bot is a decent foundation to build on, but you won't understand much about the LIHL style of play unless you first practice and get accustomed to the 1200 gameplay.

That being said, LIHL is a competitive league and so people are serious about the game, some more so than others. But if you're only here to have fun and not to win, then you will have a bad time as people will have expectations that you don't do major fuck ups, or play games majorly drunk or high to the point where you can't function. Communication is big too, and games can quickly turn toxic if communication is bad.

As for stacking in lobbies, it doesn't really matter to us. The mods base their decision on individual skill level, while the players tend to focus on your ability to cooperate, and work as a team. If you have replays you want to share that fall within the requirements, go for it.

If you want my opinion, try to build 1200 elo, and go to the 1200 bot. Learn yolo strategies, learn holder builds etc and apply when you feel comfortable there.

SLSGuennter
Protector of Nature

Postby SLSGuennter » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:15 am

I agree with all iistyles (aka tinsoldier) said.

Additionaly:
Back when i got vouched for LIHL, i only had 4 or 5 games on the non-cross-bot, so its totaly ok to get replays from there i guess, but you will have to pick them wisely, since doing good and winning vs rather lowskilled enemys isnt rly considered a hard task, and thats why replays from there do not rly count as much in the eyes of the community.
Gunther and the Sunshine-Girls. Hell Yeah

supersexyy
Donator

Postby supersexyy » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:27 am

If you're actually good then you should have no problems getting an account to 1200 (even with zero stacking).

Beastman
Treant

Postby Beastman » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:34 am

[quote="iiStyLes"]T....or play games majorly drunk or high to the point where you can't function.

Beastman
Treant

Postby Beastman » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:35 am

[quote="iiStyLes"] or play games majorly drunk or high to the point where you can't function.

:D

Diablo_
Protector of Nature

Postby Diablo_ » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:09 am

The goal of LIHL is to provide a competitive, yet friendly and fun-oriented, environment. Surely some players are less skilled than others, some don't take it all that serious and some aren't always friendly. But I believe on average we offer a solid game experience for our players and probably the best one from all LTD places :D

An account with 1200+ Elo isn't necessarily required. But what we need are meaningful replays which are hard to get on any other bot. E.g. on Ent18 it's unlikely that you will have solid team members but also solid enemies and if that's not the case the game is kinda distorted and it will be hard to judge your skill in a competitive environment. Not to forget things like crossing which are not allowed in LIHL which makes the replay uncompareable to LIHL.

So yes, it is possible to apply without 1200+ Elo.
But you still need to provide proper replays.
And besides that if you can't get 1200+ Elo it's unlikely (but not impossible) that you are ready for LIHL.
-----
LIHL player parser, a tool to automatically parse LIHL players' Elo and create reports for it: CLICK

Kreutertee
Treant

Postby Kreutertee » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:11 am

Hakuna wrote:and have played for quite some time (since 2009)

Legion TD Mega was released in 2011.

And what is your handle on the mega bots then?

Don_Killuminati

Postby Don_Killuminati » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:32 pm

Also, feel free to make an useast acc and join 'clan lihl' channel if you want obs some games or ask for any advices.

Hakuna
Forest Walker

Postby Hakuna » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:12 pm

Hey thanks guys for the replies! I appreciate the varied opinions and points of view, and definitely need all your perspectives in terms of knowing whether Lihl even is a place I want to be in!

To answer some of the early things that iiStyles said, I definitely prioritize communication and teamwork in my Legion TD playing. I am frequently the one to organize the team, in absence of the usual hotshot shot-callers that frequent so many lobbies. I don't like to take command from people who think they know what they are doing, since it usually pisses them off, but I will always voice my opinion if I don't agree with the wave they think we should send, or at least to offer my agreement if they make good calls. I also NEVER play drunk or high, and am always on my A-game, even if my A-game isn't 1200+ elo XD.

For the other comments, especially Diablo_, I appreciate very much that you say it's the environment that you are striving for with the Lihl. What I want is to play with other people who value teamwork and communication as well as refining skills and working under pressure, and I get fed up with the amount of nonsense in the regular bot. I do really like helping new people learn the ropes of Legion TD, but it has cost me so many wins because my allies didn't know as much as my enemies!

As for the one of you who said it is possible (don't know about easy, in my opinion) to reach 1200+ without stacking, I currently have several battle.net accounts. (immortep@useast, babudro@useast, chunkykong@useast, fixacrew@uswest) My immortep has the most games at 55, with a 23/32 record and 977.02 elo. I used to play in a 4-stack with friends under the name hakuna, which is where my name on the forum is from, and I had more like 150 games on record, but coming back after a long (dota 2) break, that account has been wiped. Anyway, I am definitely not as good as most of the people in the Lihl, which isn't why I want to be in it. I am not here to prove I am the master of Legion TD. I am, however, looking for a more enjoyable time playing competitively and on teams that know what they are doing. Even though I say that I am not as good as the Lihl players, I still would not say I am clueless. I have a very solid grasp on all aspects of the game, and am a very good communicator.

So yeah. Again thanks for your replies, I will begin my search for replays, likely most of which will just have to be games as they happen, and I guess the best I can offer at this point is that I will play according to 1200+ rules. I can't force my team to, since I'm not 1200+. When I play with my buddies though, we will all be following 1200+ rules, so at least there will be the whole team doing so.

Cheers!
Who am I in game?
hakuna@EntConnect
ChunkyKong@USEast
Visit my Wiki! Link

FadingSuns
Treant Protector

Postby FadingSuns » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:36 pm

get 1200 elo and go ent31 bot. Then once u feel u got nothing else to learn from ent31 come and apply lihl.

Im sure ur good guy and im sure u will learn fast on ent31. but im also sure u will never get lihl lvl playing on ent18. Lets say the best ent18 player would be a bad ent31 player and the best ent31 player will need time to adapt lihl.

Follow this proccess that im telling u and u will succeed.

If u just do what u propose (play ent18 with ent31 rules) im sure wont get u to here. There ur rivals are bad players and the metta is completely different (u can cross, antistuck, etc).

Hope to ser ur reapply in few months and also would likr to play with u in ent31 bot (i play there eventually). So... get to work!

ACED

Hakuna
Forest Walker

Postby Hakuna » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:39 pm

FadingSuns wrote:get 1200 elo and go ent31 bot. Then once u feel u got nothing else to learn from ent31 come and apply lihl.

Im sure ur good guy and im sure u will learn fast on ent31. but im also sure u will never get lihl lvl playing on ent18. Lets say the best ent18 player would be a bad ent31 player and the best ent31 player will need time to adapt lihl.

Follow this proccess that im telling u and u will succeed.

If u just do what u propose (play ent18 with ent31 rules) im sure wont get u to here. There ur rivals are bad players and the metta is completely different (u can cross, antistuck, etc).

Hope to ser ur reapply in few months and also would likr to play with u in ent31 bot (i play there eventually). So... get to work!

ACED

Now not to be rude, but it's people like you that make me think I might not like being in Lihl. Your poor communication skills coupled with your elitist attitude make you quite toxic, even just on a forum post. From what you said, I can see you think very highly of your group of players, which is fine and all, but to slam the play of others simply because they have not been invited to your club is extremely narrow-minded. You don't know me, nor have you likely ever played with me, yet you claim to know what I do and do not know and how I do or do not play. It's fine for you to point out that the rules are quite different, of which I will point out, I have already stated in this topic several times that I was aware of the rules being different. I also don't appreciate that you use terminology such as ent18 and ent31 to refer to the Legion TD Mega and Legion TD Mega 1200+ bots, because that sort of language is exclusive of people such as myself who are unfamiliar with the lingo. I will adapt to such things as I am introduced to them, though, so thank you at the very least for preparing my for more people like yourself who selfishly abbreviate things so that other people need to speak like you in order to be on the "inside" group.

Anyway I don't think that I am "ready" for lihl, and I don't know if I want to be ready either, by the sounds of it. What I worried most would happen is that the lihl would be the exact same pool of people who abuse one another in chat and spread hatred towards those less skilled or knowledgeable than themselves whenever mistakes are made. I felt similarly about iiStyle's post, but wanted to show that I was capable of giving a mature response to an immature post, however yours, FadingSuns, tipped me over the edge of my patience, and I wanted to vent how frustrating I find the mindset of Legion TD elitism.

I apologize for being overly emotional, and I understand that I am neither prepared nor deserving of being part of your club. Thanks to those of you who were welcoming of my questions and answered me respectfully.

Finally, upon re-reading the end of your post, I do want to say thank you for your comment "I hope to play with you on ent31". Although I do find your attitude frustrating, I am perhaps wrong for thinking that you were not trying to be welcoming. I apologize if I misunderstood the sentiment of your post.
Who am I in game?
hakuna@EntConnect
ChunkyKong@USEast
Visit my Wiki! Link

ILOCOS_NORTE
Forest Walker

Postby ILOCOS_NORTE » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:00 pm

The fuck is this troll??

Drahque? :|

If you are serios read behind the lines :roll:

TinSoldier
Treant Protector

Postby TinSoldier » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:26 pm

Lol yeah I think you need to deal with your own personal insecurities before joining LIHL, let alone any competitive online gaming community.

inQ
Forest Walker

Postby inQ » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:28 pm

I think you're gravely mistaken @Hakuna. Nowhere in his post did he belittle you nor claim to know your skill level. He was speaking on broad terms and it's rather alarming that you took that much offense to his advice. His intention was to encourage you to get out of Mega bot and go to 1200+ where you will be introduced to a completely different style of play and after you're comfortable with that style of play, then you can proceed to apply to LIHL.

If anything, you claiming that he has poor communication skills is more offensive in my eyes. If you haven't noticed already, English is not the first language for most LTD players. You claiming that people who make grammatical mistakes have "poor communication" is a bit elitist yourself. Seeing by your verbose posts, I know you take great pride in your ability to fully express yourself but be prepared to play with players who will mostly type numbers, + & - indicating agreements & disagreements, and levels where they want to send.

Also, if you're 23/32 with 970 elo then you're either playing with the wrong group of people or you need to brush up on your meta game. You don't have to always stack to win on Mega bot- you just need to avoid the right players. You might find this helpful
viewtopic.php?f=64&t=107551

Personally, I think you're too sensitive for the 1200+ & LIHL bot if you took offense to ACE's post. (I thought it was rather encouraging) Thick skin is required to take criticism / advice from more experienced players. I'm not saying you need to take shit from them & be their bitch but from time to time you need to accept that they know more about the game than you and you need to filter out the bs from the good advice. Also, LIHL aplication process can be a bit overwhelming as peers will tear your build & game apart to the very detail. Some people can't handle that type of criticism and if that's you then you may be better off just playing with your friends.

Good luck & hope to see you in games!

Return to “LIHL Archive”