Alternate Modes

Suggestions will be moved here once processed.

Moderator: Oversight Staff

AmnoN
ENT Staff

Alternate Modes

Postby AmnoN » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:56 am

Hi All,

Just an observation - alternate modes can delay and stall lobbies for an extended period (5-10 minutes). I have found that some players announce a mode in order to troll the lobby or because they are not happy with the teams (out of spite). As a way to balance the desire to play other modes and avoiding delaying lobbies unnecessarily, I propose the following:

1) Implementing a rule that if one or two players (not sure on exact number) in the lobby disagrees with the mode, red must use the standard mode.
*Could also have a system where 4 people must say that they want it, or something along those lines.
2) When announcing a rule, it must be done prior to the countdown (rationale for this is the lack of clarity around "sufficient time")

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Jabba41
Protector of Nature

Re: Alternate Modes

Postby Jabba41 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:03 am

If modes are obviously getting used in order to troll around we take (and already took) actions against it once reported.

Regarding
1) This would allow even more trolling and blocking modes, barely any game without standart mode would be possible anymore.

2) Imo its common sense its before countdown in order to give people enough time, but we can add a " (...) must be announced before countdown..." to the wiki. Sure :)

Waiting for possible other suggestions.
Send me your best Sloth pictures for instant unban*

*individual results may vary

aRt)Y
Protector of Nature

Postby aRt)Y » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:29 am

The whole purpose of it is for users to vote. Adding vetos overruling the majority defeats that purpose.
Sure, we could edit the wiki but that seems like nit-picking, tbh..

The easiest is to punish those abusing these rules as jabba said. I would assume the amount of users doing that is rather low?
    Information, Rules, Guides and everything else you need to know about ENT is on the ENT Wiki.
      Ignorantia juris non excusat • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? • Fallacy of composition

AmnoN
ENT Staff

Postby AmnoN » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:40 pm

@art)y The issue is that it is not a vote - it is one person's decision (whoever is in the red spot). I would say that 90% of the time when I see it is someone trolling or doing it to mess with others in the lobby as they do not care when 4-5 people say no to the mode. Those are mostly the issues that I am referring to. The one about not being happy with teams is rare.

The issue regarding timing of the announcement is the nature of these lobbies and waiting. If you have a set time where people have to be aware, they are more likely to be paying attention - people are not usually paying too much attention during the countdown.

aRt)Y
Protector of Nature

Postby aRt)Y » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:48 pm

Oh, I was confused with the mode voting in lobbies.

In that case, jabba did address an interesting point: "1) This would allow even more trolling and blocking modes, barely any game without standart mode would be possible anymore."

How would you counter that?
    Information, Rules, Guides and everything else you need to know about ENT is on the ENT Wiki.
      Ignorantia juris non excusat • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? • Fallacy of composition

AmnoN
ENT Staff

Postby AmnoN » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:37 pm

@art)y If the majority do not want a non-standard mode, it should not be played as it will just delay the lobby, which is why I propose that unless 3-4 additional players confirm wanting the mode (or 3-4 players say that they do not want it), it should revert back to the standard/ default.

The issue lies in 1 person (red) wanting a mode when nobody else does which causes the lobby to be held up or even a !draw at the start of the game. That situation, by definition, is not a vote.

Jabba41
Protector of Nature

Postby Jabba41 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:01 pm

I think we can all agree 1 No-vote would be way too less and make non-default modes impossible.
I play a lot myself, and the delay i see usually is just a few minutes, which can be causes by a noob aswell very easily and much more often.

So your suggestion would need a set amount of No-Voters. Here comes the problem now:
1) People talk in lobby (spam)
2) people quit in lobbies

Red has to make sure to announce it to everyone (which is easy) but now he would be responsible for counting No-Votes. Some will say no in a full lobby, then someone leaves, red has to announce it again... then every non voter would have to say no again as you cant expect red to keep track of sometimes 20 people joining and leaving and telling him his opinion.

Waiting 3-5 minutes for a game is nothing and we can still ban people who obviously troll with modes. Which is actually extremly rare. If i would have to guess i would say i saw less then 5 BRQ since im here about that. And only saw a few people doing it in lobby.
Send me your best Sloth pictures for instant unban*

*individual results may vary

AmnoN
ENT Staff

Postby AmnoN » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:07 pm

@jabba41 Correct me if I am wrong (I don't play dota), but I have been told that dota has a voting system in place for non-standard modes? I also do not understand the need to play non-standard modes in ranked games - custom games are great for that sort of stuff. It is mostly catering to an incredibly small portion of those that actually play, and even less so to those who are interested in a ranked system (which is part of why we have a ban system set up with this in mind).

aRt)Y
Protector of Nature

Postby aRt)Y » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:57 am

Agreeing with jabba on this one.

Denied.

Return to “Suggestion Archive”