DotA Match-Making

uakf.b
Staff Department

DotA Match-Making

Postby uakf.b » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:05 pm

We are beta testing match-making system on the apem bot.

Let us know your feedback:

• Is system confusing?
  • Needs more features/commands in lobby?
  • You'd rather just have regular lobby with autobalancing (where you can enter up to 2 friends on the same team)?
  • You'd rather have it back to normal?

Basically it works like this:

• You join lobby, type !solo to play by yourself or use !party / !join to play with friends
  • The bot divides players into tiers based on ELO score, it will try to start games with players in the same or similar tiers.
  • It will also prefer to put new players (<10 games) with new players, and old players with old players
  • If there are not enough players in the same tiers, after a few minutes the constraints will relax, and the tiers / new-vs-old-players will be ignored
  • Games are autobalanced, but players in the same party (up to 3 players) are put on the same team

A few other things:

• You should type !a before leaving the game, otherwise you might enter a match at the same time as when you leave and get an auto-ban
  • Currently GProxy++ and most commands in lobby are not supported, it is work-in-progress (one thing to test: if you use GProxy++ can you still join, or can you not even connect to the game?)
  • If you leave and re-join you will go to the bottom of the queue
  • It shows an "ETA" but it is just static 5 minutes right now... (after 4 minutes constraints on tiers are relaxed)

The beta test will not be happening all the time, just for a few hours. We will change things based on feedback, please reply below!
These users thanked the author uakf.b for the post:
F-Train (Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:12 pm)
dWFrZi5i -- 'cause I'm cool like Agreements

SpiritFolk
Basic Tree

Re: DotA Match-Making

Postby SpiritFolk » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:43 pm

put it back to how it was plz

uakf.b
Staff Department

Postby uakf.b » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:54 pm

SpiritFolk wrote:put it back to how it was plz

Lol you should give a reason though.

uakf.b
Staff Department

Postby uakf.b » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:30 pm

Some updates recently:

• The bot will now use old DotA scores for balancing. This should make it more clear whether or not games are better because of the matchmaking.
  • Games should start sooner at the five minute waiting mark. The bot will quickly relax constraints at that time, rather than gradually from 4 to 10 minutes of waiting. (This means ETA should actually be reasonably accurate.)

Eyes_of_Fury
Aura Tree

Postby Eyes_of_Fury » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:42 pm

make chat enabled by default. allow us to check ELO by !score or !sd. not everyone knows this new system is up and confused and leave, find a way to educate what's going on the default message when entering the game.

Vostok_The_Kurd
Aura Tree

Postby Vostok_The_Kurd » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:49 pm

well, system is confuse, after waiting 6 minutes on lobby, all players left, and bot kicked me, 4 times in a row, please turn back to old system. i can't play any game on APEM.

uakf.b
Staff Department

Postby uakf.b » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:58 pm

Eyes_of_Fury wrote:make chat enabled by default. allow us to check ELO by !score or !sd. not everyone knows this new system is up and confused and leave, find a way to educate what's going on the default message when entering the game.

Thanks for the suggestions. Chat will now enabled by default (use !nochat to disable), and I've updated the welcome message to have a bit more details. !sd will show your own score but not other stats for now, will implement it later.

Vostok_The_Kurd wrote:well, system is confuse, after waiting 6 minutes on lobby, all players left, and bot kicked me, 4 times in a row, please turn back to old system. i can't play any game on APEM.

This may be because you are using GProxy++. I will add GProxy++ support soon.

For now the match-making is disabled until some bugs are fixed and other features added.

Eyes_of_Fury
Aura Tree

Postby Eyes_of_Fury » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:39 pm

if you want to make things balanced out based on ELO why not before every game starts do a vote for "votebalance"? and every player types !yes or !no

uakf.b
Staff Department

Postby uakf.b » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:51 pm

Eyes_of_Fury wrote:if you want to make things balanced out based on ELO why not before every game starts do a vote for "votebalance"? and every player types !yes or !no

That is one alternative I mentioned above (not vote but always balance; friends can type !friend to play together). The benefit of this system is that it will also sort by score, so if there are enough players then some games can be >1100 or <1000. Also new players are sorted separately (unless there are not enough players) so they are less likely to throw off the system.

If there are repeatedly not enough players even with six minute waiting then I do think it makes sense to just do it that way.

me_leva_nager
Forest Walker

Postby me_leva_nager » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:17 pm

I like the new bot and what it has to offer sometimes i have up to 4 or 5 friends. Will we be split up or will it look for other teams like it does in normal ladder games. Or will we be waiting for a long time waiting to be matched up another 4-5 player team which obvious means longer search times.

uakf.b
Staff Department

Postby uakf.b » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:31 pm

me_leva_nager wrote:I like the new bot and what it has to offer sometimes i have up to 4 or 5 friends. Will we be split up or will it look for other teams like it does in normal ladder games. Or will we be waiting for a long time waiting to be matched up another 4-5 player team which obvious means longer search times.

It shouldn't increase the wait time too much. But, if you have more than 3 people, you may be split between different teams, although you'll be guaranteed to get into the same game. If you have 2 or 3 people, you will be guaranteed to get placed on the same team (haven't tested this thoroughly though).

SirTerrens
Basic Tree

Postby SirTerrens » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:34 pm

Can't check my ping before it starts - that's bad, because sometimes it's better to leave a game before its start if latency is too high.
Can't select my favourite colour and side - my inner esthete gets demoralised.

Old lobby looks better to me, it also allows to chat and to vote for modes before it starts.

kunkka
Treant

Postby kunkka » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:03 pm

I like this system for the fact that it would reduce smurfs as new accounts get kicked to games with 700 elo players lolol!

One of the concerns is boosting - when 2k teams up with 2 new accounts. Not sure what would happen

Gauss
Basic Tree

Postby Gauss » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:55 pm

First Blizzard, now these guys, I mean, now people smurf and I can't do shit about it. Yeah, you could argue they did this before already, but before I was able to get an idea of who was gonna end up in my team, and I would simply wait for the next game if too many suspicious 1000's with 0 games showed up. Now I can't and always get handed the short end of the stick because my elo is wayyyyyyyy too high (around 1000, which meand I always get paired up with noobs in my team and the mhers against me).
Revert this for god's sake, now I can't play without having to forfeit before the 10 min timer is up

pay
Basic Tree

Postby pay » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:24 pm

new auto balance good.

Return to “Archive”