Revive ENT/make it better

Join us discussing (new) rule, map and mode changes or suggest new ideas!

Moderator: Oversight Staff

n4thyra
Forest Walker

Revive ENT/make it better

Postby n4thyra » Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:44 pm

Let's suppose you're a new player and you come across the main page of https://entgaming.net/, the first thing you see is a long, heart-braking text saying "the world is over, find a better place to live in". In my opinion, this just instantly turns most people off.

There's no reason to scare anyone off.

It sucks that the inventors are gone, but that doesn't mean the world is falling apart.
They have decided to slowly move on but since someone is still paying for the server(s) and stuff, it means they don't want to completely abandon their work.

I suggest removing it from the index page and moving it to the archive.

Yes, WC3 is a very old game, there are many things that are super annoying ("shitty graphics", laggy when too many units shown at once, etc.), but there are still many players who are loyal to it and who greatly enjoy it.
There are definitely games that are super realistic and beautiful, but that doesn't ,mean they are more enjoyable or better. Some people are just used to the good, old WC3.

Apparently, there are still a few active admins/mods who take care of the trolls.

If the owner of the whole "jungle" wants to shut it down completely someday, it would be nice if he uploaded all the source code to github or somewhere else, so the community could use it.
Saying "the service is shutting down" but keeping it alive for years is quite like saying "Maybe, I'll marry you... if I do not find a better wife".

I feel like this whole network is not commercial at all and it would actually benefit for everyone if we (developers) could help and improve it.
There are so many things that can be improved.
These users thanked the author n4thyra for the post:
Astros (Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:15 am)

Astros
ENT Staff

Re: Revive ENT/make it better

Postby Astros » Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:23 am

I agree. Even though ENT will eventually shut down, it hasn't since the announcement so it was a bit premature to do so leaving to an exodus of players who likely would have stayed if the ENT moderation was kept in-tact.

Some people have PM'd me about wanting to moderate/improve ENT lately so it is nice to see people are still interested. What ideas are there?
ENT Custom Games Discord ------------------ https://discord.gg/kGAUdTYZ5B

n4thyra
Forest Walker

Postby n4thyra » Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:15 am

• The whole website looks ancient and could certainly look better
  • I am not sure if it's even possible, but I can't see the option to create an acc directly from the website
  • I don't think you can change/retrieve the password if lost, players would have to sign up with an e-mail
  • Maybe, show somewhere stats about how many people are currently on-line/on certain maps

evonnekramer
Basic Tree

Postby evonnekramer » Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:54 am

100% agree with you. There are so many ways to make things better.

Linkin1210
Armored Tree

Postby Linkin1210 » Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:48 pm

Could just...:

‣ Eliminate the Announcements section from the front view (top section) of the Home Page - https://entgaming.net/
-add the Lobby list from games.php to replace the Announcement section on the Home page, in order to provide a million miles better awareness for newcomers, as to what to expect here. The running autobots are ultimately, the product they are coming for. People shouldn't need to click around and read sentences to go around seeing them.

‣ Leave the guide for "How to play on Ent" on top of the Home Page- and perhaps in a more user-friendly format and order, encouraging simple way to register and play (rather than encouraging to register on the forum to then download the app and reregister (not relogin with the forum account details- as in the case with most casuals in the first time here making the mistake- and all this without any additional security measures).

‣ Then can just leave the "Announcement" section below all that, so people would really have to scroll down to reach that part...

What I mean to say in other words is. The guide on the front page is actually super cute with the wording, there just needs to be more accent on the:
"Play games via WC3Connect for reconnection protection."
This is all a new player here needs here 1st really. Then 2nd- a prompt to check the rules.
Let's say, I don't speak English much, and I read that, I'd be slightly like.... "oh cool... wait, what..."
P.S. Is it not... "Play Warcraft 3 Custom Games via WC3Connect- with reconnection protection" Apologies...

It can be in general quite confusing for new players to transition playing here, being used to the normal ways of the web otherwise, and possibly being a little tipsy and nostalgic by chance, during the time they actually land here for their first time.

‣ Requiring email registration, and ways to change password for Wc3Connect accounts, also would cut trolling a lot and in return - increase playerbase and support for the community and its owners. This would also increase the emotional bank for all people playing here... The servers would build a better trust relationship with the players.

True- a troll would troll if they really want to, however after a while, the effort they spend on doing so would scale up considerably enough for them to stop.

Everything that has a beginning does have an end, however... I don't know man... The Matrix keeps coming out... It is up to us to keep the loop going in a happiest fashion, until there is nothing we can do about it : )

There is no risk involved, apart from the time needed to incorporate a new code into the website, and the funds which that would require for doing so.

When I have more direct ideas, I shall be in touch again.
Last edited by Linkin1210 on Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:23 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Linkin1210
Armored Tree

Postby Linkin1210 » Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:12 pm

P.S. A suggestion from a conversation with Pandelle- just link all future account registrations with both Wc3Connect, and the website!!
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... /image.png
Yes... This would mean all existing wc3 account usernames would not be possible to use upon new email registration.

Return to “Suggestions”